Castrol Full Syn vs Edge: ccs

Looking at the current data sheets from Castrol, it looks like Full Syn 5W30 has a better ccs spec than Edge 5W30. Does that seem strange to anyone else?

1668140030837.jpg

1668140074157.jpg

Looking at the current data sheets from Castrol, it looks like Full Syn 5W30 has a better ccs spec than Edge 5W30. Does that seem strange to anyone else?

View attachment 125568

View attachment 125569

yes I think it's odd.. but that other reply made me LOL.. didn't know you had to endure a commercial to buy something unrelated to your question! If you notice about the edge vs syn comparison, the syn is "thicker" for the viscosity at 100c than the edge, but some how it's CCS is lower? I know there are others who are more knowledgeable than me..and they're free to correct me but isn't this evidence of a large amount of VI (viscosity improvers) being used in the syn version?

If you notice about the edge vs syn comparison, the syn is "thicker" for the viscosity at 100c than the edge, but some how it's CCS is lower? I know there are others who are more knowledgeable than me..and they're free to correct me but isn't this evidence of a large amount of VI (viscosity improvers) being used in the syn version?
Thanks for your reply. I had the same thoughts!

At the refinery where I work we make base oil and this is one of the tests that we run. If you have a standard that’s supposed to be 4000 you could be several hundred on either side of that and it’s essentially the same number. Not a big deal.

Thanks for your reply. I had the same thoughts!
No surprises here looking carefully at the datasheets.

The "lesser" oil has a lower density and a lower flash point, there may likely be more VM in the formulation - which is not oil - added to maintain KV100 viscosity where the finished lube is built from lighter constituents.

The GTX FS will be a dirtier, less robust lubricant, comparatively.

like @Rod Knock wrote above, I would only purchase and use Edge Gold Bottle Extended Performance from their product line for an ILSAC GF6 application

- Ken

Last edited:
like @Rod Knock wrote above, I would only purchase and use Edge Gold Bottle Extended Performance from their product line for an ILSAC GF6 application

Castrol uses different additive packages for each product line. However, they use the same package within the same product line.

The entire Castrol EDGE EP lineup uses an additive package made by Afton Chemical that is MB 229.71 approved and claims ACEA C2 and C5. It's fantastic for any GDI and T-GDI engine (and small TDI engines), and it will have no problem keeping any gasoline engine running clean and efficiently. It is a very good oil.

Back