Castrol Euro 5W-40 SP in the wild

no, i meant which decently thick X40?
Back than popular go to oil was Shell Rotella T6 because it was above 14cst (I think 14.2cst). That kept grade in check for usual 5k OCI. When 5W40 was recommended 10+ yrs ago, most 5W40’s were above or around 14cst. With move to ULSG in 2017, VW moved to VW504.00/507.00. Also, newer engines are not such diluters.

nevertheless, if you have a small dilution problem ,due to injectors thing like mine, is it suggested a thicker oil or not? and a thicker oil by grade , by hths or both? for.ex.: is it better to choose an oil with 13,8 KV something and hths 3.8 or one with 14,5 KV and hths around 3.6 (old school blending)?

nevertheless, if you have a small dilution problem ,due to injectors thing like mine, is it suggested a thicker oil or not? and a thicker oil by grade , by hths or both? for.ex.: is it better to choose an oil with 13,8 KV something and hths 3.8 or one with 14,5 KV and hths around 3.6 (old school blending)?
You don’t live in the US. EU always had less sulfur in gas, especially after 2009. Gas in US was rich in sulfur, which was obliterating TBN in high dilution engines. EU engines had different burn.
Different markets require different ECU maps etc. It is not comparing apples to apples.

Well I just picked up some from Walmart.com with their $20 promotion lol. Hope it’s good since it’s A40, SP, and MB229.5

You don’t live in the US. EU always had less sulfur in gas, especially after 2009. Gas in US was rich in sulfur, which was obliterating TBN in high dilution engines. EU engines had different burn.
Different markets require different ECU maps etc. It is not comparing apples to apples.
i know that.but i specifically said the reason for dilution.not sulfur but pissing injectors.its not a EU thing,not a general engine thing ,its my engine and its injectors.so if you think a thicker oil can help when pissing injectors are going to do damage before we know it ,then you can help and answer my question about what kind of thick oil is that.

i know that.but i specifically said the reason for dilution.not sulfur but pissing injectors.its not a EU thing,not a general engine thing ,its my engine and its injectors.so if you think a thicker oil can help when pissing injectors are going to do damage before we know it ,then you can help and answer my question about what kind of thick oil is that.
I really don’t understand your question? At that time, VW/Audi were recommending 502.00 5W40. Many opted for Shell Rotella T6 as it was thicker and was retaining KV100 better.
That is it. As they moved to EA888 and 3.0T that drama over fuel dilution disappeared.
What engine do you have? I was responding to someone else.

I bought castrol euro 5w30 from Napa auto and it's API SP

Made in USA
The oil pictured is the Edge 5W30 K, it's API SP, ACEA C3 and MB 229.51. It's a mid-SAPS oil with about 800 ppm Zinc.

The other one is Edge 5W30 A3/B4, it's API SL (due to elevated Zinc & Phos levels), ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.5. It's the full SAPS oil with about 1000 ppm Zinc, and a TBN over 10.

Both are good oils. But they are different oils.

A 30 grade (5W30) is held to different Phos (and therefore zinc) levels, than a 40 grade (5W40). Or at least they were a while back.

I really don’t understand your question? At that time, VW/Audi were recommending 502.00 5W40. Many opted for Shell Rotella T6 as it was thicker and was retaining KV100 better.
That is it. As they moved to EA888 and 3.0T that drama over fuel dilution disappeared.
What engine do you have? I was responding to someone else.
ok,let me rephrase my question. is there today a decent thick x40 ,as you said, like back then it was the rottela 6?

Yes. Most SP oils seem on thicker side. As far as I remember T6 was 14.2cst. I think Mobil1 0W40 X3 is around 14. Most are 13.5cst like Motul, Mobil1 0W40 etc.
But additive package obviously won’t be like 15yrs ago. That should not be concern with ULSG.

Back