Castrol Edge

I started changing the oil with my daughter in my 2021 Mustang GT and had to leave my daughter to finish up the oil change. I told her when I left to grab (2) 5qt. jugs of Castrol Edge and put it in. When I came home she had put the car back on the ground, started it and checked for leaks and left it there. As I was looking around the bench in the garage, it appears she put two different types of Castrol Edge 5W30 in the car. She used one jug of API SP Castrol Edge and one jug of API SL Castrol Edge A3/B4. This jug of oil is something I bought maybe 3 years ago when the Pep Boys retail store was closing and bought a bunch of oil really cheap.

Question....is the brew of API SP and API SL A3/B4 going to present a problem in the car. I tried to find a VOA of the Castrol SL A3/B4 but was not successful.

The OP didn't mention any leftover oil in either of the two jugs she used nor did he mention checking the oil's level upon arriving home.

There's no assurance that the entire 10 quarts weren't installed.
its an 8 quart engine. i dont believe having 20% overfill is gonna harm anything. if he was concerned he should drive around for 10 minutes and check the dip stick for aerated oil since it will show at least some little bubbles on it. if not i wouldn't bother draining the extra and just leave it there.

No that engine is dual injection and not turbocharged but it is known for having a vacuum issue to where it may consume oil but thats on the f150's 5.0. Other than that it shouldn't cause any lspi issues.

Wrong grade? My Modular didnt like 30 grade at all, I don't know about the Coyote.
Unless you are ricky rudd I cant see the need for 30 with a ten (!) qt sump.

Biggest issue: I hope you daughter is a responsible driver and she doesn't let any "men" drive her car.

its an 8 quart engine. i dont believe having 20% overfill is gonna harm anything. if he was concerned he should drive around for 10 minutes and check the dip stick for aerated oil since it will show at least some little bubbles on it. if not i wouldn't bother draining the extra and just leave it there.
I see it listed as a 10qt. capacity from what I can see on the amsoil site, and the J code is 11.5qts.

Never substantually overfill. The thing has 10qt capacity. Foamed oil = blown motor. Period.

Last edited:
The 2018+ GT takes 10qts.

...is the brew of API SP and API SL A3/B4 going to present a problem in the car. I tried to find a VOA of the Castrol SL A3/B4 but was not successful.
You will be absolutely fine.

That Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a MB229.5 oil with a Noack under 10%, but a bit more ZDDP added for extra wear protection. It runs about ~1000 ppm Zinc, instead of the typical ILSAC level of about 700 to 800ppm. It's also a thick 30 grade with a HTHS of 3.5 cP (or just above), and it's rated for long-life with a TBN of 10 (or just above).

It's only API-SL due to the ZDDP chemical limits stopping it from being rated higher by API, but the Euro tests it passes are much more strict and harder to pass.

Outside North America, we run high-SAPS Ford 913-D oils in the same car, these also have ~1000 ppm zinc and a TBN of 10, so it's not a problem.

You just gave your ILSAC oil, a Euro multivitamin and mineral pill.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about , go by the oil life monitor. My buddy has a new GT , 10 quarts is the reason they signed up for dealer oil changes when they bought it.

Back