Castrol Edge With Syntec 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this is a good oil or how much zinc/phosphorus is in it?

I have a 2003 Subaru WRX (Turbo) and was thinking this might be a good oil for my car. People on my Subaru forum really like Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 but I am worried about the higher levels of Zinc and Phosphorus in it.

Also, people on my forum do not like most energy conserving oils and I see that Edge With Syntec 5W-40 is not energy conserving. Most energy conserving 5W-30's sheer to 5W-20 in the turbocharged WRX.

Maybe Edge with Syntec would be a good alternative to the T6 and be a good oil for my WRX?

Drew

Stick with the T6. It has a great track record in turbo Subarus. You're fine with the extra ZDDP unless you're burning a ton of oil. For the sake of not buying different oils for each engine, I run it in everything I've got except for our new Elantra.

I've been running T6 since the 89k marker, and have 117k on my '03 now. No, the zinc will not destroy your cats. What zinc will do is save your bearings and turbo spindle. Also, you will notice just how quiet your engine will run on it, especially when warmed up.

If you have not either gutted your up-pipe or installed a catless one, do that anyways. No matter what kind of oil you run, that part will eventually go out. That and a decent tune from a shop (cobb ap or UTEC will work fine too) will do wonders for spooling that TD04.

Also, the castrol 5w-40 from my experience is either hard to find or NEVER on any special. It's about $9/quart at advance usually. A gallon jug (4 qts) of RT6 can be had for just over $20. For that money, look into 300v or ultra 5w-40 or something like that if you have it to burn.

I had a 5k run with that in my Audi S4. It did not hold up very well -- sheared out of grade, flashpoint dropped, TAN-TBN ratio looked poor, wear metals were high.

I was not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back