Can I use Shell Rotella T6 in my VW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
Posted this in the European section as well, but still not feeling good about switching oils after all these years
Sorry for a lengthy post.

The Car: 2003 VW GTI VR6 w/ 135,000 mile, always used in warm climates (currently I am a snowbird). Factory recommended oil 5w-40. Have used Castrol Syntec 5w-40 for the entire life of the car (purchased new).

The Issue: I HATE Castrol (BP) and am sick of paying $7.00 per quart for 5w-40 Syntec. Just went to the store yesterday and they wanted $8.60 for a quart. Thinking of alternatives.

The Possible Solution: In the past I check Walmart, they do have Castrol Syntec 5w-30 for a few bucks cheaper, but never carry the 5w-40 Syntec. I discovered the Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w-40 at a very reasonable price. Can I use this oil which appears to be for deisel engines? Or will I screw up my engine?

I checked the Shell site and T6 is listed for gas engines as well as diesel. I think it would be a fine oil for your engine. WM has it for ~ $25/ gal in my area.

Many people use Rotella T6 5w-40 in their gas engines. Including me. Also, I've seen Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 at WalMart from time to time. Also Mobil 1 has a 5w-40 and a 0w-40 that should be easy to find at WalMart.

I would use the T6 or Mobil 0 or 5w40.
If you are stuck on Castrol Syntec you can get the 5 qt. jug of 10w40 for $21 at WM. 10w40 should be fine for the conditions you describe and 135K.

T6 will be cheaper than Castrol Syntech and both are great oils. Autozone regularly has Castrol Syntech and M1 on sale for around $5 a quart. GC would also be a great oil in the VR6 and is VW 502 approved just like the 5w-40 Castrol you have been running.

If you really hate BP then go the T6 route and your VR6 will still love you.

Rotella T6 5w40 is a great synthetic oil and is a steal when they put gallons on sale at Walmart for around $20 or $21, which I seem to remember from time to time. I have used it in every vehicle I own - which all call for 5w30 - for years with good results. The UOAs have always been excellent, including once when I tried it in my 2003 Deville for 10,000 miles instead of my normal 5,000 miles. Your manual says to use a 5w40. It would be a no-brainer for me.

One of my biggest issues with Rotella is availability and container sizes. Somehow the only place it's available local to me is AdvanceAuto. Autozone doesn't have it, and neither of the two Walmarts. Next issue is the smallest size is gallon containers and my car takes 5.1 qts. What am I supposed to do with 3qts extra oil on annual oil changes. Ends up being much more expensive than M1 on sale when you're forced to be buy 8qts.

Last edited:
I've seen T6 gallon jugs on sale for $19.50 recently at WM. I only needed 2 quarts of it for my next oil change, so thankfully a few of my local WMs carry it in Quart sizes too.

Now, if only T5 could be found in quarts as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back