Castrol Edge Syntec 5W-30, 2011 WRX, 3556 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX Hatch
Total Miles: 15,174
Miles on Oil: 3,556
Oil: 5W-30 Castrol Edge Syntec (2011 black bottle)
Makeup Oil: 0 quarts
Filter: OEM Blue Subaru Filter
Driving Conditions: 90% highway at 65-70 mph. Occasional revs to 4000, 5000 RPM.

Comments:
I think I'll continue with 3750 mi oil change intervals. I could go to 5000 mi, but Syntec would probably shear to 8.X cSt by that point. But if wear continues to decrease, I don't see the problem. Thoughts?

Html:

OIL 5W-30 Castrol 5W-30 Castrol 5W-30 Castrol Subaru 5W-30 Factory Fill

Edge Syntec Edge Syntec Edge Titanium (Idemitsu Lubricants)

MILES IN USE 3556 3296 3182 5135

MILES 15174 11618 8317 5135

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/04/12 12/10/11 10/21/11 09/09/2011

MAKE UP OIL 0 qts 0 qts 0 qts 0 qts

ALUMINUM 5 5 7 -

CHROMIUM 1 1 1 0

IRON 6 10 11 22

COPPER 4 6 12 34

LEAD 0 0 0 1

TIN 0 2 4 1

MOLYBDENUM 77 191 260 976

NICKEL 2 1 2 2

MANGANESE 0 0 1 3

SILVER 1 1 0 0

TITANIUM 1 6 38 0

POTASSIUM 1 0 2 0

BORON 42 97 61 166

SILICON 5 8 18 79

SODIUM 2 1 3 9

CALCIUM 732 975 954 1854

MAGNESIUM 1544 1296 1223 11

PHOSPHORUS 702 753 766 838

ZINC 771 1084 882 1028

BARIUM 0 0 0 2

INSOLUBLES (%) 0.2 0.1 0.2 0.2

WATER (%) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

ANTIFREEZE (%) 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

FUEL (%)
FLASHPOINT ºF 390 400 360 390

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.3 56.5 56.4 52.6

cSt @ 100ºC 9.72 9.22 9.17 8.06

TBN 7.1 7.6 6.7 3.5

UOA_15174mi.png

Should go at least 5,000 on this combo...could probably do 7,500 just fine.

What are the manual specifications on OCI? Any Oil Life Meter or sensor?

Why even bother getting an analysis on a new car under warranty with few miles. It does not make sense to me.
Plus you are just wasting oil by changing it so often.
I hate to be a negative nelly , but being this anal about a new ride is just ludicrous.
Blackstone loves people like you.

Hello Furious

That Subaru is being well taken care of with that oil. It will purr like a kitten for a long time. Edge is a very good oil. Enjoy the new Subaru.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: chad8
Why even bother getting an analysis on a new car under warranty with few miles. It does not make sense to me.
I hate to be a negative nelly , but being this anal about a new ride is just ludicrous.

You're just jealous that you can't afford to send in sample after sample with your car. Leave the guy alone. UOA is a hobby more then anything else.

He's got back to back data that is clearly showing the condition of the oil and it's ability to go longer next time if needed. I think 5k OCIs shouldn't be a problem here.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Is the last two samples from the same oil? The moly is down ~ 2.5Xs in the last sample.

I was thinking the same thing....

Wear rates are dropping, as expected after break in. Some of that is due to actual wearing in, the rest is also simply flushing out residual. Together, metals are dropping nicely as expected. Didn't see "average" figures, but they've got to be at or near them by now, because nothing is alarming. I would expect to see them drop a tiny bit more, perhaps.

Contamination is low. TBN is strong.

I would think doubling the OCI (7k miles) is not unreasonable here. It may violate warranty conditions, so perhaps that's not the thing to do for him. But I'd at least stretch it out to the maximum OCI warranty would support. If not, I would think there are some lesser expensive products which would hold up very well for only 3k mile OCIs. Let's remember his 90% highway factor, too, so it's not like fuel or moisture will be detrimental ...

To me, this is a fine example of how over-purchasing a product ends up being a waste. Yes - things look good. But at what cost? I suspect a quality dino oil would do quite well given the conditions he's operating in (nearly all highway with 3k mile OCIs). He certianly doesn't qaulify for "severe service" (whatever that would blindly entail). Why the short OCIs doubled up with syns? (Cue the "cheap insurance" rhetoric ...)

Last edited:
And moly is part of the residual that dnewton mentioned. For 2011, Subaru went with 7,500 mile intervals in turbos (same engine as before) and there's not much WRX data on these intervals with RC oils. More later.

Nice results. This looks a lot like the additive system in M1, although they are using more Mg than Ca. Tbn is pretty high....I'd retest that. Tbn retention is supposed to be better with the new SN oils. Time will tell.

Subaru was at 3,750 mile intervals for ALL turbos for several years. They only extended it starting with the 2011 model year with no changes to the engine so the short uoa's are understandable especially given the lack of data on RC oils in Subaru turbos?

Good uoa's or not, I wouldn't go past 4k on this. The zinc level on the previous run is too high. Did you use any additives?

-Dennis

Moly is residual, Edge TBN has been consistently 7 or so for the past three UOAs, so I trust it. No additives so I don't know what's up with the zinc last run.

7500 mi OCI recommended by Subaru, 3750 mi for so-called severe driving conditions. I'll shoot for 4200 mi next (has to be a multiple of 600, since I drive that far each week).

At NASIOC, nearly everybody is crazy about Rotella T6 5W/40, favored by Uncle Scotty, developer of the infamous Scotty's Cocktail. Btw why is that known as the Destroyer of Transmissions here on BITOG?

RT6 gets much love here as well. Just scan the Subaru uoa's and the WRX recommendation threads in the PCMO forum.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

To me, this is a fine example of how over-purchasing a product ends up being a waste. Yes - things look good. But at what cost? I suspect a quality dino oil would do quite well given the conditions he's operating in (nearly all highway with 3k mile OCIs).

Keep in mind the WRX uses a turbo though, and I think the added protection of the synthetic is well worth the money, even if he doesn't drive it hard very often.

syn is required for 2011MY it calls for 7500 maximum service and 3700 severe/recommended service.

not that exact wording but my translation of their manual.

5w30 for all engines except the fb25 in forester which requires syn 0w20.

havent looked at MY2012 to see what changes there are.

I will be following a 4k~~/3x a year schedule on my forester.
Mainly due to short tripping/salt/winter/towing.

all previous years stated that turbo engines were "severe service" and required 3.75mo/3750 mile changes

which is why people hesitate to extend. Although with the mild driving habits We can see this oil could easily go 5-6k or more.

Last edited:
How does castrol edge formerly syntec compare to mobil 1? My meijer is having a castrol syntec sale for 22.99 and Walmart has mobil 1 on sale for 22.57!

How does this compare to meijer store brand synthetic oil at 16.47? All these synthetic oils are on sale, which one should I get? Or which one is better?

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: chad8

You're just jealous that you can't afford to send in sample after sample with your car. Leave the guy alone. UOA is a hobby more then anything else.

He's got back to back data that is clearly showing the condition of the oil and it's ability to go longer next time if needed. I think 5k OCIs shouldn't be a problem here.

+1 and lets stop the madness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back