Castrol EDGE HM 5W30 VOA

Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5W30 (black bottle).

I have to say, I was hoping for more viscosity, but other than that, it's a good-looking oil.

The bottle says it's formulated to fight "emission system failure" which explains the conservative Phosphorus and Zinc. I wonder if the Aluminum came from the bottle seal, which may not have been completely peeled away when I poured the sample?

EDGEHM5W30.jpg

It's "Edge 5W-30 K" I don't know what "K" is, I've never seen it.
Yeah same here. I have no idea what that means. Looks like the USDM SP rated Edge black bottle 5W-30. I got that link from the Castrol USA site.
Google helped me:

"Castrol EDGE 5W-30 K is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and, diesel vehicles where the manufacturer
recommends: ACEA C3"

For a thin 5W30 HM - look at Valvoline FS. I run it in two 5W20 Fords. Smooth quiet stuff.

Okay, I think I figured out why this stuff is so thin. If you pull the PDS from Castrol's website, there are TWO sheets for this oil. One is dated 01-10-20 and the other is 07-01-20.

01-10-20 lists the feature "Helps reduce level of phosphorus to help prevent catalytic convertor failures". It also specs a KVM of 9.9. This is clearly the oil I tested in the first post.

07-01-20 does not list the low phosphorus feature and it specs a KVM of 11.3.

The bottle I bought does say "Fights emission system failure" on the front, so that seems to be the feature that's tied to the lower viscosity.

I haven't paid close enough attention to notice if any EDGE HM bottles on the shelves do not say anything about fighting emission system failure. I guess if there are two types of EDGE HM and some say this and some don't, that would be an indicator as to the viscosity (as well as Ph levels).

Has anyone had or heard of anyone ever having emissions problems with a properly running engine in under 200k ? I personally haven't .

I haven't paid close enough attention to notice if any EDGE HM bottles on the shelves do not say anything about fighting emission system failure. I guess if there are two types of EDGE HM and some say this and some don't, that would be an indicator as to the viscosity (as well as Ph levels).
pH level of the oil? How do you even measure the pH of a nonpolar hydrocarbon?

The thickest 5W-20 would be mobil 1 wouldn't it?
According to Product Data Sheets, yes.
Mobil 1 EP 5W20​
5W20​
9.00​
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W20​
5W20​
8.90​
Castrol Edge EP 5W20​
5W20​
8.90​
Pennzoil SB HM 5W20​
HM​