Castrol Edge decision - 5w or 10w

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a subaru EJ20 engine 25+ mile commute and use GC and RTS(summer) and do not burn any oil even with 250+ HP

I would like to try Castrol Edge but winter is coming (Georgia - mild cold)
I looked at the VOA for both CE 5w- and 10w-. The 5w seems like a very thin oil and im not sure bout it and the 10W concerned it may have to wait till spring for me to put that in (very possible / likely situation) Ill just use GC next week and wait till next spring.

Any recommendations or maybe experience with GC

alternate is put the CE 5w-30 in spring on the 07 civic ???

I'm assuming that engine is Turbo'd. On a turbo car, I would NOT use less than a A3-rated oil. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I think you want a bit more high-temp strength for a turbo.

I'd stick with the GC, OR move to M1 0W-40. Both have excellent cold-temp properties, and are still strong a high temps.

I WOULD use the CE 5W-30 in the Civic - it's a very thin 30-weight, so it would work well in a car that calls for 20-weight.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm assuming that engine is Turbo'd. On a turbo car, I would NOT use less than a A3-rated oil. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I think you want a bit more high-temp strength for a turbo.

I'd stick with the GC, OR move to M1 0W-40. Both have excellent cold-temp properties, and are still strong a high temps.

I WOULD use the CE 5W-30 in the Civic - it's a very thin 30-weight, so it would work well in a car that calls for 20-weight.

thank you for the suggestion
thats what ill plan with the CE to do on the civic then

Many turbos run on 30 weight. In your climate, I'd go 10w-30. It's thinner than GC in the starting temps you'll see.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Many turbos run on 30 weight. In your climate, I'd go 10w-30. It's thinner than GC in the starting temps you'll see.

comparing to GC whats the viscosity start temp to operating - any side to side comparison info (besides the cst at 100c) what other info can i find about start viscosity. pour point ??

GC FTW. You won't find many turbo Subies running Edge. Probably because it is so thin. I wouldn't even be concerned about start-up viscosity in GA. I've run conventional 10W-40 in my wife's '99 Outback in the winter in NJ. According to the manual, you can use 10W-x down to -4F.

You would need a viscosity calculator to see the actual viscosity at different temps. There have been some posted somewhere around here.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: goixiz
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

comparing to GC whats the viscosity start temp to operating - any side to side comparison info (besides the cst at 100c) what other info can i find about start viscosity. pour point ??

When I get back to my computer, I'll crunch the numbers for you.

I very well could be wrong on this, but isn't A3 simply for long drain intervals? I have turbo Volvos and often use A3 oils because of comments like this on BITOG, and certainly y'all know more about it than me, but wouldn't an A5 be just as good for a turbo without the long drain property? And it seems many more oils meet that requirement. And while I'm on the subject, normal service on the Volvos is 7500 miles; is that considered a long drain interval?

EDGE is a great oil but maybe not for your application. The operating temperature viscosity is lower than GC and way lower than RTS.

definitely 10w30. you don't live in a cold climate, a turbo needs a seriously stout oil, and synthetic 10w30 has the cold pour properties of a conventional 5w30, so Edge 10w30 is plenty thin enough, just about right, I would say. 5w30 edge is perfect for any application calling for 5w20 or 5w30 in normally aspirated engine.

If you're worried, install a block heater and plug it in on a timer for 2-3 hours prior to cold starting.

Last edited:
Castrol EDGE Product Data Sheet

Getting EDGE 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 is not going to help you all that much unless you're worried about shearing. Only an 0.02 cst difference at 0 degrees celsius

A viscosity of 9.8 is a good deal less than the > 12 your car is used to on GC. Will your car be able to handle it? Maybe but it would be a new experience.

Originally Posted By: ryansmith219

I very well could be wrong on this, but isn't A3 simply for long drain intervals? I have turbo Volvos and often use A3 oils because of comments like this on BITOG, and certainly y'all know more about it than me, but wouldn't an A5 be just as good for a turbo without the long drain property? And it seems many more oils meet that requirement. And while I'm on the subject, normal service on the Volvos is 7500 miles; is that considered a long drain interval?

alphabet-numeric soup defined

A3 and A5 are the same except for HT/HS (visc). The "high performance" stuff is irrelevant.

If you have consumption, use the 10w-30. If you take short trips, use the 5w-30. Can't decide, use half and half.

Originally Posted By: Juhsga
Would 10W-30 be better for my 2002 1.8L Corolla ... I use 5W-30 V-Maxlife normally ...but this looks like a steal ...

Tell us more about the Corolla, especially the reason why you are using Maxlife

Yeah definitely ...first of all I bought it last year with 135K and now it nearly has 145k ...I don't have any maintenance records from when I bought it but had it checked out by a mechanic friend. I have since been using V-MaxLife because it's high mileage and supposed to be a good oil ....I want to prevent any possible costly damage that's more likely with a high mileage car (Such as replacing gaskets or doing any kind of rebuild) ..I know it's a Toyota but still ...I believe the motor is the 1ZZ-FE ...and because it's been some 4500 miles so far since my last oil change I need to p/u some oil and CE seems attractive considering the price ...so what do you guys think .... if I purchase 5qts of CE should I use 10W-30 instead of the Toyota recommended 5W-30 since CE runs thinner and as well as I live in Florida???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back