Castrol EDGE 8 X better Wear Protection than Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Amsoil/RL/RP would be a better way to go imo for the $

With Amsoil/RL, you are getting a full PAO/Ester based oil. Amsoil in particular does cost more, but you are getting an oil with a higher Tbn and lower volatility due to the base oils used.

Murray's Auto Parts here sells it for $ 8.49 a QT for 5w-30.

I am due for an oil change right now in my Camry.....I am tempted.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Murray's Auto Parts here sells it for $ 8.49 a QT for 5w-30.

I am due for an oil change right now in my Camry.....I am tempted.

Join us!
Theres candy over here on the dark side!!

If I spend eight smackeroos a quart for oil ($40 for my car, plus a filter), it had better last me a whole year's worth of driving.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
If I spend eight smackeroos a quart for oil ($40 for my car, plus a filter), it had better last me a whole year's worth of driving.

Well this is on the bottle: "Guaranteed extended drain interval protection for 15,000 miles, or one year, which ever comes first*."

*Guarantee excludes severe service applications such as frequent towing and hauling, racing, dirty conditions, and extreme idling.

Castrol EDGE just got edged out by liquid Titanium oil from ConocoPhillips : nice demo of engine trouble areas
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

If you buy the 5qt jug for $34 at WallyWorld its a little less than $7 a quart. Easier to justify than $8.50 a quart at an auto part store.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: buster
Amsoil is also a full PAO based oil so cost will be higher.

Not ALL Amsoil is PAO based according to one of their websites:

"The majority of AMSOIL synthetic lubricants are formulated with polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base stocks."(1)

(1) http://www.smartsynthetics.com/amsoil-synthetic-pao-basestock.htm

Anyone know which ones are not PAO based?

Amsoil's XL-7500 oils use a Group III basestock:
http://www.upmpg.com/changes_xl-7500.htm

Quote:
Another question I have is 'repeatability'. Run the sequence test a dozen times. Will there be times when an oil beats another oil that beat it earlier? Comparing results in a pass/fail test really all that fair?

Hows does Castrol create its time:wear graph? Does the engine get disassembled non-stop throughout the test or just in the end for UOAs and measurements? And, what data are they comparing? Copper or iron UOA measured wear? Or pre/post lobe/bearing/surface wear? Overall average or just our best wear point vs your worst wear point? Ad-budgets rarely need to define themselves. Our lowest measurement wear point is better then your worst wear measurement point!!!!!!!!!

Marketing aside, probably a great oil but not in the weights I need. And its priced where I would rather order a few cases of Amsoil(or any other mail order boutique synthetic).

Bring out the Edge 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 0w40, 5w40....price it accordingly, and Mobil1 sales will slide.

Yes, they monitor Fe and Cu wear via oil analysis. This is how they track wear vs time.

On price, people often complain about the cost of high end synthetics but if you take advantage of the extended drain intervals, it becomes more cost effective. Amsoil is also a full PAO based oil so cost will be higher. Being Edge is using some PAO, the price is a bit higher than their Syntec. Edge also has a better additive package. You get what you pay for..

I can get a full PAO Amsoil product for even cheaper than what Castrol is asking...

from a previous post by Joel

""shortage? i recently saw the 5qt jugs on display although tonight i saw nothing but castrol displays but the shelves were full of M1""

That's because I'm almost done returning all of that swill.

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
from a previous post by Joel

""shortage? i recently saw the 5qt jugs on display although tonight i saw nothing but castrol displays but the shelves were full of M1""

That's because I'm almost done returning all of that swill.

Steve

Mayby you could hook up with the race teams Johnny just saw at Daytona. Since most of them use M1 5-30 you need to educate some of the finest race teams in the world, and while your at it the finest auto manufactures in the world, about your discovery concerning your findings of the M1 oil they use. I'm sure they would appreciate your vast knowledge of lubrication.

Dunno... to be fair we'd have to make them spend a year in their Nascar beasts carting kids around, getting groceries, and idling at red lights first.

The competition is always looking to exploit a weakness in a competitor’s product. It looks like Castrol could be using a similar additive package that Valvoline is using. I think both use Lubrizol and this new low volatile ZDP. Notice Valvoline mentions the P retention test.

*The last 25 hours of the Seq IVA wear test, from Castrols advertisement, Mobil bombed. A lot of what makes an oil good are the additives. Being they are only using one test to claim superiority on is weak though. In a high temperature, high performance engine, the Seq IVA could be completely irrelevant.

The competition is always looking to exploit a weakness in a competitor’s product. It looks like Castrol could be using a similar additive package that Valvoline is using. I think both use Lubrizol and this new low volatile ZDP. Notice Valvoline mentions the P retention test.

*The last 25 hours of the Seq IVA wear test, from Castrols advertisement, Mobil bombed. A lot of what makes an oil good are the additives. Being they are only using one test to claim superiority on is weak though. In a high temperature, high performance engine, the Seq IVA could be completely irrelevant.

Buster you say could be. I say no way. The race teams using M1 aren't fools. Besides their oil run in 24 hours at Daytona far out weights the abuse we put on our oil. Likewise Honda knows what their doing when they recomend M1 in their turbo specs. After all XM led the way in research developing the various formulas required for different auto manf. The other oil producers follow M1s lead as they have to come up to new standards as well.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The race teams using M1 aren't fools. Besides their oil run in 24 hours at Daytona far out weights the abuse we put on our oil.

What weight oil do the race teams use?

This whole thing regards Mobil 1 5W-30. No other formula or weight has been brought to question. Unless I'm mistaken?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: tig1
The race teams using M1 aren't fools. Besides their oil run in 24 hours at Daytona far out weights the abuse we put on our oil.

What weight oil do the race teams use?

This whole thing regards Mobil 1 5W-30. No other formula or weight has been brought to question. Unless I'm mistaken?

Under the racing oil thread, 24 hrs at Daytona, spells it out. Mostly M1 5-30. Interesting read. Debunks a lot of what we read hear about M1 5-30. I use M1 5-30 in Fords with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back