Cast Iron heads??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and good afternoon to all in the land of the great Bitog:

"Thunder the Wonder Pig" is going to get some new sparky plugs so it will be more sparky. Said plugs are purchased already. However, I got to thinking, do I have to let the engine cool before I replace the plugs, (i.e. are the heads in my motor like the newer Ford heads and will strip if replaced while hot), or are they good old American ole fashion cast iron heads and therefore it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold?

Said vehicle is a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with the 3.1 V-6.

I'd like to do this before the sun goes down in these parts which from this posting gives me about two hours.

Thanks - GreeCguy

I would also chase the threads with a thread chaser just make sure your torque readings are correct when installing plugs.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would also chase the threads with a thread chaser just make sure your torque readings are correct when installing plugs.

Probably takes washer plugs that are hard to screw up.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Probably takes washer plugs that are hard to screw up.

No, they take a taper seat plug.

Oh that I wish I had enough room/access to do both of the above (chase threads and torque the plugs) on an LS1 in a 4th gen f body's engine bay!!
frown.gif

Wait until that vehicle is "as cold as ice, or one day you'll pay the price I know...seen it before it happens all the time..."
25.gif

No seriously, let it cool down then you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back