Case 450 CT trackloader overheating (2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Case 450CT tractloader and the hydrolic fluid and the engine are overheating. It has high flow hydrolics.

We have checked evrything we can think of. There are quite a few bent hydrolic radiator fins. The airflow is past the hydrolic filter first and then through the engine rdiator.

Anyone have any ideas?

First, get a comb and straighten out the fins.
I don't know the pressures on the system, but an additional cooler sounds like a good idea for about $50 in parts. Something foe automotive use.

The first two things I'd think would be either an airflow issue, or an issue where the hydraulic is getting so hot that it's heating the air going to the engine radiator too much.

Fan ok? Spins free, no bent blades? I'd definitely have my pocket knife out and be straightening the bent fins on the hyd. cooler and checking/washing it and the radiator.

Do you have an obstructed flow somewhere in the hydraulic system? That'll make heat, both in the hydraulic system and the motor. Something bound up in the drive would also make a lot of heat.

Start it up cold, let it idle and feel the lines. If they only heat slowly, then work each part of the machine a little and see what happens. Feel the lines going into and out of the cooler, see if there is any difference- if not, that's at least part of the problem.

But straighten the fins on, and clean, the hyd. cooler and radiator first. Even if that's not the problem, it will be eventually.

lp

What is the engine temp? What is the hydraulic oil temp?

You might have a hydraulic function that is running over-relief, and this generates lots and lots of heat. You should be checking your pressures, this will tell you if anything is running over-relief. Does it sound any different? You should hear it if it's a hydraulic problem.

I agree with mechtech2 and lame_penguin, straighten the fins, and also, check the radiator/hydraulic oil cooler fins for cleanliness. Often, people see the hydraulic oil cooler and it looks clean, but they can't see how filthy the radiator is for the hydraulic oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
First, get a comb and straighten out the fins.
I don't know the pressures on the system, but an additional cooler sounds like a good idea for about $50 in parts. Something foe automotive use.

Not sure what you're getting at here, Mechtech. A regular automotive tranny cooler won't work in this application... WAY too small. Any additional cooling is going to cost a lot more than $50. But if everything is working correctly, the factory setup should be fine.

Originally Posted By: lame_penguin
The first two things I'd think would be either an airflow issue, or an issue where the hydraulic is getting so hot that it's heating the air going to the engine radiator too much.

Fan ok? Spins free, no bent blades? I'd definitely have my pocket knife out and be straightening the bent fins on the hyd. cooler and checking/washing it and the radiator.

Do you have an obstructed flow somewhere in the hydraulic system? That'll make heat, both in the hydraulic system and the motor. Something bound up in the drive would also make a lot of heat.

Start it up cold, let it idle and feel the lines. If they only heat slowly, then work each part of the machine a little and see what happens. Feel the lines going into and out of the cooler, see if there is any difference- if not, that's at least part of the problem.

But straighten the fins on, and clean, the hyd. cooler and radiator first. Even if that's not the problem, it will be eventually.

lp

The Penguin has covered all salient points. I'm impressed.

Make sure the radiator and/or oil cooler fins are clean so that air can flow freely. Make sure the fan is spinning properly... the belt isn't loose or anything. It's been about 6 years since I worked on Case equipment, so I'm not familiar with that exact model, but most skidsteer fans are direct drive- is that the case with your machine?

And I agree with adamg: Don't know what you're doing with the machine, but if the hydraulics are being run at relief pressure for an extended period of time, it will overheat.

More pertinent questions:

When is the thing overheating?
Is it pretty much all the time... or is it only when you're running equipment with the high-flow hydraulics?

What kind of work are you doing with the machine?

What sort of attachments are you using?

Does this machine have air conditioning?

How do you know that it's overheating? Temp light? Boiling over? Both?

Thanks, guys!

The fan is new due to a recall. It sounded different than the old one.
There are only lights and no guages so I don't know the temps.
When we run a large brushhog with high flow is when it overheats. The brushhog sounds like a jet aitplane taking off and it tears up often. It seems like the highflow is just to much for the whole system. I don't believe it overheats with non highflow equipment. We know it is overheating because of the lights for engine and hydraulics. No boil over. About 900 hours on the machine. We bought it new.
The machine does have air conditioning.
We use 5-40 sythetic Rotella and Napa Gold filters with OCI of 350 hours or so.
My son put some non detergent Napa oil in the hydraulic system. Is that alright?

Like I said, I left the Case dealership several years ago- so some things may have changed. But at the time I worked there, most of the skidsteers used 10w30 motor oil in the hydraulic system, along with 1 quart of Case additive for every 5 gallons of motor oil. You might have a look in the operator's manual to see which oil it calls for. I don't think this would cause your overheat issue, but you'll want to make sure you have the right oil in the hydraulic system for obvious reasons.

Are you sure the brushhog is designed to be used with the high-flow hydraulics? The 'jet airplane' comment makes me wonder if it's spinning faster than designed, which would explain why it 'tears up often'. Also, when running a low-flow attachment with high-flow hydraulics, you could very well be running at or near relief pressure, which would explain the overheating. If you have a manual on the attachment or a local dealership that can look up the info, you'd do well to check the brushhog's flow requirements and compare them with the flow rating for your machine's high-flow system and the regular auxiliary connections.

Also, considering your attachment, I think it's pretty likely that your heat exchangers are getting clogged with grass. Don't know exactly where they put the condensor on this particular machine, but if it's bolted right up against the radiator and/or oil cooler (which is common on skidsteers, but there are other places it can be mounted), then that's a good place for grass to pack in- between heat exchangers.

I had a customer a few years ago running a brushhog on a John Deere 270 skidsteer. I don't remember for sure, but I don't THINK it required high-flow hydraulics. He was having constant overheat problems due to grass getting packed in the radiator fins and between the radiator and the oil cooler. The grass would be sucked into every gap and crevice in the machine so that after only a few hundred hours, the entire belly pan was packed full of grass clippings. I sealed every gap I could find in the cab, but the grass still found its way in after a few weeks. The guy finally got tired of paying the $80/hour labor rate to have me clean his machine out, and started running a brushhog on his utility tractor rather than on the skidsteer.

So IMO, a skidsteer is not an ideal powerplant for a brushhog. It will work, of course. But with all that grass flying and with a complicated machine with multiple heat exchangers following BEHIND the mower, you just can't avoid packing it full of grass.

So yeah, to sum up: Check for grass in the heat exchangers and belly pan, and verify that your hydraulic flow is correct for the application.

Thanks, Onion.

It is a high flo brushhog. We have a high flo trencher also and it lasted only a 25 hours or so till it had messed up several times and the manufacture sent us a whole new trencher that we have not used yet. The high flow seems to overpower the attachments that are supposed to be made to handle high flo.

I will check futher for grass clippings.

Enjoy your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back