Carvana Layoffs

So she didn't want the vehicle because of a week delay in delivery?
Correct. Timeframe was one reason we were going with this particular car. It wasn’t equipped exactly as she’d have liked but it could be here on day one of her doing a 6 day work stretch, working at a hospital 100 miles from where we live. Also we both were under the assumption we had already completed all necessary forms, had added the vehicle to our insurance policy and had a conference call with Carvana and our bank to verify funds. I’d even got the automatically generated text of “all you need is your proof of insurance and drivers license at delivery”

Another factor here is I would wager that Carvana being a relatively new company, their employees are less costly to sever than Adesa's.

The Adesa play is a good move for Carvana, buys them a large physical and geo presence but also market 'maturity', but they will need to take significant costs out of the business.
I’d bet the dealership chains(Sonic, AutoNation, Hendrick, Penske and the smaller regional chains like Tonkin, Price Simms, DCH, Swickard, etc) will take their auction business to Manheim so that aren’t sleeping with the devil.

My 2 cents: I also had a hiccup in the delivery process that delayed the car delivery to my house by a week. I was ok with that. For my troubles Carvan sent me a check for $250 three months after I had taken delivery. I was very surprised and quite pleased.

There is a new Carvana story on Steve Lehto's UTube channel.

State of Carvana suspension is Illinois. Illinois has two very powerful car dealership associations (essentially legislative lobbyist).

The Illinois car dealership associations are beyond powerful. Getting any support in Illinois for any king of licensing is a complete disaster, even though the state of Illinois charges huge licensing fees. Just try to get a state of Illinois agency to answer/ return a call, email or correspondence. Near impossible. Seems like a perfect storm for Carvana. A corrupt state that is under huge lobby from its two car dealer associations, and a state agency that is likely without any desire to make things proper.

My Wife and I lived in Illinois for a while. She had to get professionally licensed to work in Illinois. We were transferred out of Illinois before her license was issued. She could never ever get a returned call, email, nothing. She could never ever get anyone to even pick up the phone. Yet Illinois charged more for her professional license than any other state she was licensed in before we moved to Illinois or after we moved from the state.

In this specific case- the issue might not be of fully of Carvana's doing.

Last edited:
I would prefer to spend a few hours at a dealer to get the right car than to have to do it all over again if it turns out I do not like it at first. Also, I know how to say no to the finance guy's sales pitch to get any add'l warranties and any of that other stuff.

Back