Cartridge filters + special tool = teh worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a PITA the new 2.0t Audi/VW engines are to change the filter on . . . .
 -

-

-

-

-

-

FYI, that drain tool costs $80 and the filters retail for ~$16

Dave

My cheap, junky Cavalier has the cap on the top. It takes a 1 1/4'' (32 mm) socket. Inheriting one from my dad save me the $3 they run at Ace hardware. Loosen the cap, and ADBV defeat pulls out. Sometimes I can catch L 15435's on sale for $3.

I think the next size smaller filter socket than the one I had for the PF 47 on my Grand Am would also fit. Done right, a cartridge is quicker, easier, and cleaner than a spin on.

$80 for drain tool, $7 for a 36mm socket and $? for a torque wrench. All to do the job correct. I do admit the filter looks like quality. And personally I do miss the Cartridge filters. Ironic how the vehicle industry is going back to the cartridge filters. Many engines in the heavy duty industries stayed with them. A light bulb is coming on, at least for me.

Well, at least they stamped the torque spec (25.5 nm) on the housing.

BTW, is that cartridge housing plastic or metal? And the strap that supports the cap looks like it could contact the exhaust and melt off.

I know they make a 'conversion kit' for Mazdas that will allow you to convert the cartridge type filter to a regular steel can (Honda) filter.

Do they make these kits for Audi/VW?

I love my cartridge type (BMW) easy access from above, not a drop spilled and a heck of a lot of filter area.

I find it far superior to any metal canister in filtering abilities and in ease of change, not to mention inspection of the filter during change.

Getting under my wife's Honda always reminds me to find the filter before I even look at a new car. Sadly this will be my last BMW, since they no longer have a dipstick.

What idiots, with their track record for electrical component reliability, they take away the easy way to see is it an indication error or am I really out of oil? What were they thinking....

Too bad they had to mount it that way on the AUDI.

Being an aircraft tech I would love to post some pics of the filter locations on small private Jet Aircraft. You sometimes just have to stand back and think, often aloud, just who did they think was going to be changing this thing? And why did they put it here knowing how often it would require maintenance.

I have always thought that the engineers should spend 1 week a year at the servicing facility for the product they designed.

I train the pilots of the corporate flight department for Dyson the vacuum company.

One thing they do to every member of the company, from the girl answering phones to the chief pilot is to have them build a vacuum, know the product inside and out.

Gotta hand it to the guy. Odd factoid, Dyson now employs more engineers than General Motors. How, dont ask me but its true.

Plastic housing.

Mann filter (makes em for OE)

-

Honestly the cartridge filter isn't really a big deal to me, but $80 for the tool is going to **** off a lot of people. Then again, it just encourages more people to go to the dealer.

With Audi, I get the 5k, 15k, 25k, 35k and 45k oil changes for free, so I'm doing the 5k intervals inbetween myself.

Dave

It looks like the tool just threads in there and probably pushes that orange valve similar to a tire valve.

I wouldn't think it would too hard to fabricate something like that for a lot less than $80

Of course, couldn't you just pull the canister, still full of oil over the drain pan, clean up the mess and clean out the canister?

$80 would buy a lot of cleaning supplies.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
It looks like the tool just threads in there and probably pushes that orange valve similar to a tire valve.

I wouldn't think it would too hard to fabricate something like that for a lot less than $80

Of course, couldn't you just pull the canister, still full of oil over the drain pan, clean up the mess and clean out the canister?

$80 would buy a lot of cleaning supplies.

well, I'd agree with you if I actually paid $80 for the tool, but I ended up getting it at a hookup price so it was definitely worth it.

Dave

Just curious, does that tool just thread on and push the orange similar, but not identical to a large tire valve?

BTW, I would take that too, over changing the oil in the '95 T-Bird with the 4.6L V8.

That was a PITA.

My 4A-FE Geo Prizm and 2AZ-FE Scion tC are simple compared to the T-Bird.

I agree about the Honda. My former in-laws had a CRV and I did ONE oil change for them.

The simplest I ever did was my '79 Ford Fairmont with the 3.3L I6. Just kick the drain pan under the drainplug and you can do the entire oil change from the top of the car, as long as you don't drop the drain plug into the pan, LOL

quote:

I think the next size smaller filter socket than the one I had for the PF 47 on my Grand Am would also fit.

They must have changed the design of the cartridge filter cover/cap on the Ecotec. The one on my mom's car (mfg'd April, 2004) only has the hex in the middle for the socket--the outer part of it is not shaped so that a filter socket can fit. I'm pretty sure I saw a photo of one that is shaped like that, though.

I've been thinking about buying a spare cover/cap and putting it in the trunk with the spare tire just in case the cap breaks during an oil change. That would really suck, especially on a weekend when the dealerships are closed..

As far as the filters, I got a few on Pep Boy's filter deals for $1.99 and I also got a few on Autozone's $8 for 5 quarts of Exxon Superflo and an STP filter. I was also able to get the rebate for the Exxon Superflo, too.

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:
Just curious, does that tool just thread on and push the orange similar, but not identical to a large tire valve?

Yes, some people just stick a screwdriver to press back the orange valve.

Dave

My '03 Mercedes E320 has a cartridge filter at the top of the engine. Bought a cap wrench for $25 because the cap assembly (some kind of composite plastic) is 14 flats, 74.4mm diameter. Didn't want to take a chance with the AZ $4 cap wrench that measures 76mm. Already own a torque wrench (torque cap to 25Nm). The filter element is made by Mann, and are about $15 mail-order.

If the $80 oil change tool is bad news, here's one better. I have to change the fuel filter on this car, and it's inside the fuel tank. Needed a special "claw" wrench to open the tank's retainer rings -- filter = $96, claw wrench = $89, both from a dealer that provides 10% over cost to forum members at a certain MB forum.

Regards,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back