Cartridge filters....BFB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to stock up on filters, so I was wondering what you guys think is the best bang for the buck....this is for a 2.2 Ecotec engine (been told that they are easy on oil, I think)

Napa Gold (Wix)-6.97
AC Delco -6.79
Partsmaster (Wix) 5.99
Fram- 8.49
Supertech 5.79
Pure One -9.99
K&N -14.99

These are just a few I priced so far...car mostly does city driving, and running M1 will see 5k OCIs....

For those who use them, what do you think?

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
I can get Pure Ones for $7 at Advanced Auto, and Wix at ORielly's for $6.

O'rielly's carrys Wix?

The one right by my house does, I picked up one there for my current interval a few weeks ago.

The Wix filters are not on display though, you have to ask for them. I guess they are more likely to get up and walk off on their own.

Last edited:
Do you have an AAP near you? I buy the AC Delco there for $4.39.

Hengst actually makes the oil filter housing for the Ecotec, and that is who makes the AC Delco filter. It is solid, well made and done in the USA!

There was a post on here a year or so ago from someone who was using Fram/Supertech (at the time they were made by the same company) and the o-ring which is used as the ADV was slightly smaller than the AC or Purolator, and it led to some startup noise for him. You can search for the post, he had a very extensive write up with pictures and everything.

But, based on your list I would do the AC Delco.

I've had excellent luck with the WIX #57203 cartridge in my CX7. Very well made and I pay $5.XX at my local Bumper-to-Bumper AP store. My genuine WIX was cheaper than the NAPA Gold clone. Be sure the price includes the two O-Rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Pure One -9.99

That is what I use; they are pricier than most but I keep an eye out for coupons/rebates and stock up when I can. I currently have a dozen on the shelf from the last Pep Boys coupon deal.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Be sure the price includes the two O-Rings.

Which would be the second O-ring, the one on the filter housing cap? I'm only asking because GM has cautioned against use of aftermarket O-rings there; evidently they don't seal well and can leak. The GM original is green by the way.

I stll have the original O-ring on my car, and at 65,000 miles it doesn't leak.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Do you have an AAP near you? I buy the AC Delco there for $4.39.

Hengst actually makes the oil filter housing for the Ecotec, and that is who makes the AC Delco filter. It is solid, well made and done in the USA!

There was a post on here a year or so ago from someone who was using Fram/Supertech (at the time they were made by the same company) and the o-ring which is used as the ADV was slightly smaller than the AC or Purolator, and it led to some startup noise for him. You can search for the post, he had a very extensive write up with pictures and everything.

But, based on your list I would do the AC Delco.

I agree, but I have gotten a Purolator as part of a 5 qt YB deal at AAP.

While most ST's are made by Champ, both 9018's may be coming from the sameplace.

Originally Posted By: daman
Dude your cars worth it use WIX/NG..

Well, I'm using 2 Partmaster(Wix) and a Napa Gold right now....

Though I'm liking the Delco idea too....

Well it seems like delco quality has gone down compared to WIX/NG,not sure though on the cartridge style like your Eco uses.

Well it seems like delco quality has gone down compared to WIX/NG,not sure though on the cartridge style like your Eco uses.

That's what I've heard...but I still plan to take a good look at them...just to be sure.

And I can get them for 4.39 at AAP, granted I have to order them...

That's what I've heard...but I still plan to take a good look at them...just to be sure.

Let us know how you make out,gota service coming up on this car and would like to know,i planed on grabbing a NG.

I agree that the AC spin on filters have gone downhill, and are nothing more than a Champ e-core. However you have to seperate spin on and cartridge filters. Many filter manufacturers who make their own spin ons do not make their own cartridge filters and from my own experience I have found the AC Delco to be the best quality/bargain for this application.

It seems that the best filter brand for any one application varies greatly, you cannot simply say that the same brand is the best value and quality for every engine.

Oh and never replace the o-ring on the cap. It is designed to seal for life and some aftermarket ones are not as robust as the factory seal.

The Purolators I have been buying recently come with new large O-Rings. I went ahead and used them. Being the world's worst pack rat, I still have the green factory one.

I think my next oil change I am going with a PF 457 from AAP, an ST 3953A, and a couple of 5 qt jugs of YB from Wal-Mart. With the new ownership, I may decide like Fram, not to use Purolator no matter how cheap I can get them. I will be checking which has the most media, an ST 3953A or an L 10193. At least the ST has a thread end bypass.

Let us know how you make out,gota service coming up on this car and would like to know,i planed on grabbing a NG.

I will...the Cobalt is next up for a change...and I will either use the Delcos (if I like them) or the Wix I have now.....

I've used the ACDelco in my fiance's Cobalt. It held up very well and offers a lot of bang for the buck IMO. If it came down to using either that or a Napa Gold which also held up very well, I would have a tough time choosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back