Cartridge filter recommendation: Porsche 997.2 911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all. I have a quandary and I would appreciate any assistance in solving. My car, a Porsche 997.2 Carrera S with the 9A1 DI engine takes cartridge filters. OEM Porsche filters are manufactured by Mann or Mahle and are expensive and difficult to source. Easier and cheaper to source are Wix (57694), Fram (CH11038), Purolator (L25691), and K&N (PS-7032). All are the base filter models by each filter manufacturer (ie no Fram Ultra unfortunately but the market for the filter is likely too narrow to justify the design and construction of an Ultra filter for this application) which is somewhat annoying although the OEM filter has a cellulose filter media, same as the OEM filter which costs three or four times the cost of these other solutions. So, my question to you, learned commentators, is if any of these filters are appreciably better than any other? Cartridge filters seem to vary much less across brands than the canister filters, likely due to their simpler construction. From what I can tell, all seem to filter at approximately 95% at 20 microns although I can't find much data on the K&N. Heck, the K&N, Wix, and Fram all look very similar in construction with pleating, plastic end caps, etc. Purolator appears to have some sort of cardboard or some other fibrous end cap material. Are K&N filters still constructed by Champion? I believe I have included all of the major filter manufacturers but if I am missing one that would be superior please do let me know. Thank you in advance for the recommendations.

Also to answer one of your questions, no K&N is no longer made by Champion they went away recently like many cheap companies and started selling cheaper filters made in Mexico and Korea. The efficiency dropped from about 95% @20 microns with champion labs to approximately 85% @20 microns with the new manufacturers, all the price with a drop in quality..No thanks!

I don't know how these Wix, Fram, Purolator and K&N cartridge filters perform in a Porsche engine, but I tried Fram cartridge filter in my MB E430.

The Fram cartridge filter didn't work very well, it was too loose on the filter holder and didn't retain oil very well, so that morning engine starts were a little noisier than all German filters(Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Bosch ...)

Did you try Amazon or Rockauo ? they may have German oil filter for your car at reasonable cost.

Stick with the Mann or Mahle. Rock Auto has some of the best prices on the Euro filters, and will likely be price competitive with the Fram and Purolator knockoffs sold at retail. Plus, you can find a current Rock Auto discount code in the Rebates & Sales forum.

Here's your choices at Rockauto.

Direct link cuz the embed didn't size right

http://i67.tinypic.com/iztjbm.jpg

iztjbm.jpg

I agree there seems to be little differnce between cartridge filters. I've owned a few that took cartridges, and currently own two. The OEM for the Passatt and Cruze are also made by Mann and/or Mahle, but the $2 Pronto's I have purchased from Rock Auto for both vehicles have been impressive. No discernable difference between them and any of the brands listed above.

Yu can afford to buy a Porsche but yu want to save a cu,e of dollars on a cheap filter? Crazy!

You can order Mann & Mahle online and get them delivered to your home.

Maybe you need to buy a cheaper car, whose maintenance costs are lower..

There have been enough horror stories regarding cartridge filters, that I refuse to go playing around with them.

If you purchased your cars new, you're deep into the six-figure range in your cars. Buy from a discount online retailer of OEM parts.

I have a GM ecotec engine that takes cartridge filters. I tried a few different filters and I paid for a few UOA's. Best results were with the cheapest paper filter, a fram extra guard with 10,000 miles on it. Go figure...

Thank you all for the input. I have used Wix filters in other cartridge applications and have been pleased with it. I certainly don't mind paying premium money for a premium product but do mind paying premium money for a subpar product. With exotic cars in particular there is a slavish belief that anything OEM is automatically best and keeps the car all "original". Sometimes this is true but sometimes it just a way to get suckers to pay too much for a shoddy product with a fancy label. As a result, I was just doing my due diligence. I wish that Fram made an Ultra filter in this specification but alas they do not. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Really dude? Never heard of Rock Auto? Just get the Mann/Mahle from Rock or eBay. There's also the Hengst E14H.

The Wix for your 997 is cheap Korean [censored].

Originally Posted By: phaphaphooey
Thank you all for the input. I have used Wix filters in other cartridge applications and have been pleased with it. I certainly don't mind paying premium money for a premium product but do mind paying premium money for a subpar product. With exotic cars in particular there is a slavish belief that anything OEM is automatically best and keeps the car all "original". Sometimes this is true but sometimes it just a way to get suckers to pay too much for a shoddy product with a fancy label. As a result, I was just doing my due diligence. I wish that Fram made an Ultra filter in this specification but alas they do not. Thanks again everyone.

I understand and agree with you.

But so far I found that German brands cartridge oil filter is the best for German(and European such as Volvo ...) engines, much better quality than others for not much more if you buy it from either Amazon or Rockauto.

Slacktide: I usually order from Sunset or Suncoast or Pelican Parts for my Porsche dude. I have found shipping from Rockauto to be on the high side dude.

HTSS: Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have a Wix cartridge in my VW and I will listen at startup for any noise and will pull it in a bit to see how it is holding up.

Last edited:
I vote Mahle. Mahle filters are even better than Mann in my opinion for these Euro applications. I started out using Mann filters when I had my 330xi, but quickly switched to Mahle when I saw the quality difference between them. Mann has a lot of variation in their quality control. Some of their filters looked perfect (like the BMW branded ones), but then there were some Manns (made in Mexico) that I picked up from Advance Auto, which had horrible pleat spacing. I ordered a bunch of Mahle's from RockAuto for about 4 bucks each, and they all had perfect spacing.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
I vote Mahle. Mahle filters are even better than Mann in my opinion for these Euro applications.

Any experience with Hengst?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Mann, Mahle, Bosch, or hengst don't be cheap!

Next time you wander into Partsource, take a look at their selection of made in Germany Mann filters for German OEMs, and compare some of the prices to the Frams and the like just down the aisle. OEM Mann for the Audi 200 was cheaper at Partsource than anything Canadian Tire or Partsource sold for the F-150. One can buy OEM German stuff at a very, very good price.

For the States (and Canada for that matter), whoever can get Worldpac stuff for you should be able to get the OEM stuff fairly cheaply, to the point that trying other brands would be pointless.

slacktide_bitog: I used Hengst in the Audi. Of the German Bosch, Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and so forth, I just bought whatever was cheaper at the time, though the difference was usually well under $1 per example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back