Cartriage oil filter vs regular filter

At the vertical position that Subaru uses, a topside mounted cartridge filter can get a little messy to remove an oily cartridge filter, at least it was on my VW TDI, but you figure out ways around it using plastic grocery bags.

R.efe72a7662d59723f31982a84d115fcf

On Toyotas, people tend the hate the cartridge filter replacement also.

My Lexus has a sideways cartridge. I put a piece of Tupperware under it and it’s easy-peasy, lickety split. The f150 has a topside cartridge, and it’s easier. we also had an 08 escape for a while with a bottom cartridge. It was nice because the cart had its own drain, which made for clean work. Had 3 Volvos with cartridges - no issues. I’ve had far more problems with canister filters, all things considered. I’ve been changing oil on my own since around 1987.

Like @meep says, the vertical ones just lift straight up, let the excess drain a few seconds, slide a container under it. Easy peasy no mess. No draining around the flange like can filters do when you unscrew them.
The bypass is in the oil filter housing or the block. None of these sleepless nights worrying about whether it's a coil spring or sheet metal stamping, is the hole too big or too small, is the pressure correct. :ROFLMAO:

Back