Cars you regret getting rid off

Status
Not open for further replies.
'63 Chevrolet Corvair Spyder (the turbocharged version), red, rag top, I got worried about the possibility of rolling it over, so I sold it, young and foolish.

'68 International Harvester Scout, red, with a white top, put a lot of miles on that one. It had a big engine block with the smallest displacement, took forever to warm-up. But still a funky, fun ride. Good in the snow.

'83 Plymouth Scamp (the pick-up truck variant of the Horizon TC3 fastback), silver, with a red pin stripe, they only made some 3000 Scamps. An unusual ride. At one point I had two, the other one was red, my brother has that one now and gets all sorts of comments on it. I always wanted to drop the GLH turbo motor in it, it would have been a great "sleeper".

How's that for a mixed bag?
I think the more unusual, the more memorable.

Had a '73 Chrysler New Port Costom 2dr w/ 400 cid. Tripple Forest Green, with metalic paint. One of the nicest greens ever put on a car. Forest Green Vinal top and interior. Although it only had a 2bbl carb, this car screwed.

Weighed in at over 4400 lbs. rear wheel drive.
Would smoke up the tires from a dead stop on dry road and, with the same all season tires, would go through the winter snow like nobody's business with just a full tank of gas, 26 gal's. Road down the highway at 90 mph better that some cars today and got 16 mpg doing it(11 mpg city). These were my own MPG figures. IDK the EPA mpg rating and I don't think it had any at that time.

The 400 had 185 hp and 340 lb.ft. with a Torqueflite 727 3 spd auto tranny and electronic ignition. Torsion Bar Front Suspension w/ 5 or 7 leafs in the rear, I don't remember. Drove this car til 1988 and sold it.

Don't drive through a puddle of water though! Completely stall out every time. Took 10-15 minutes to restart. Spark plugs were underneath. I was pretty good at avoiding the puddles as this only happened to me about 100 time or more, LOL!. Kept wire spray in the glove box along with an estra balist resistor.

Oh yeah, the glove box held a 12 pack of cans(no ice) and the trunk slepped 3 comfortably with out removing the spare tire. 6 could ride in the car in comfort. 2 large ash trays in the front with one large and 2 small ash trays in the rear. Chrome directional markers on the front fenders down the long hood. Power seats, A/C and the smoothest power steering I have ever owned to date. This 19'6" long car would turn like a 3 wheeled, rear steer fork truck. You could drive this car as well backward as forward. My wife said that!

When the first couple of year 5.0 Mustang GT's came to market(pre EFI) they didn't stand a chance at a stop light and I laughed at mid 70's early 80's Vetts. I'm tellin' ya, this car screwed!

Wish I would have taken better care of this car and stored it with some mild restoration cause it didn't look too bad after 15 years. Or as my FIL would say, "she no looka to bod Y'O"!

Last edited:
A 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 convertable. Yellow with a black top and black interior.

At one time my dad bought 3 1957 Thunderbirds for $150 each. He repainted and sold them for around $200 each.

Only 2 cars I really want back.

1965 Mustang. Emerald green, tan vinyl, 289, auto.
First car; bought it for $800 in 1970, basically sold it in 1972 because it didn't have a/c.

1985 Dodge Lancer ES. Pretty cool, electronic everything, talking car "your door is ajar" "fuel is low", really soft leather and a 2.2 turbo. Given to me as the F-I-L was insulted by the trade in offer. Head gasket went at 80k and didn't want to put money into a Dodge. Sold for $300 in 1992 as it had to be towed by the buyer. Perfect condition except for the head gasket.

only one: 68 RS/SS Z28, 302, off road cam and dual 4 bbl package. 4 wheel disc brakes, stick, 3.73 gears.

Only one fan belt on that car, not even power steering!

It did everything right.

1971 Mustang. 250 6 cyl. White, ginger vinyl interior.

It had power steering, automatic, AM radio, and heat.... that's it.

It was slow, heavy, most people wouldn't find it particularly pretty, and it didn't get very good gas mileage. But it was solid, relatively rust free, didn't have the Grande's moisture trapping vinyl roof and the previous owner had already changed the lower control arms. It looked good to me with a set of raised white letter tires on the steel rims and dog dishes.

It just needed a nice turn key 302 or maybe 351W to be a great car.

I traded it for an '85 Mustang LX 5.0
frown.gif
Bad decision.

I also regret getting rid of my 1974 Celica. Just because I did so much to that car. Bought someone else's project, which is usually a disaster. But the previous owner had done a really good job dropping a later model 20R and 5-speed in.

My 2000 Silverado 4x4 LS 3 door ext cab with 4.8l V8 and 5 speed manual with manual transfer case. I ordered it and it was STUPID that I sold it.

Can not buy a truck with manual trans like that after 2001 and after 2000 you could not even order it.

The new owner is glad I finally sold it and its doing great (co-worker of mine) but one major DUMB move on my part letting it go.

img0276a3qh.jpg

spankme2.gif

My 83 benz 240d. Roomy, had personality (but reliability), held the road great, maneuverible in parking lots. 34 MPG. Stick shift RWD inline-engined midsize car.

Was trying to raise funds for a Saturn VUE, then it turned out even first-year VUEs were horribly overpriced and in poor condition.

Eventually replaced it with a buick century for family car duty: I like GM but this buick is rubbish. Turns out the dog and two car seats fit in the rear bench, like I had them set up in the 240d in the first place.

1969 Mustang Coup 250ci inline 6 dark green and the factory gt package (hood scoop, grille lights, and matte hood paint) original green interior too. Miss that car every day just about, was my first car, but the thing got like 20 MPG though you could only run premium in it.
1994 S10 Blazer 2 door with 4.3 vortec. Sold it when I moved to utah because the a/c and heater went out, I should have fixed it and kept it, would have saved me all these car payments.
Car I am happy to be rid of was my 2003 Nissan Frontier King Cab 3.3 Supercharged v6. only got like 12.5 MPG and it was harsh on oil, had to switch to dino because I had to go back to 3k oci.

1985 Golf Diesel

I bought it used around 1993 and drove it until an accident in 1999. The damage was relatively minor but I did not want to put money into fixing a 15 year old car. Now, I wish I had fixed it up and kept it going. There will never be such a simple and economical diesel car available in this country again.

Originally Posted By: Diesel_Clatter
1985 Golf Diesel

I bought it used around 1993 and drove it until an accident in 1999. The damage was relatively minor but I did not want to put money into fixing a 15 year old car. Now, I wish I had fixed it up and kept it going. There will never be such a simple and economical diesel car available in this country again.

lol.gif
My ex in college had an older Rabbit diesel. It was slower than a tortoise on valium and had so much rust that I don't know how it was held together. Any collision would have reduced it to a pile of reddish brown dust. But we could put $3 worth of diesel in it and drive all week!

1986 Ford F-150 300 I6-136,000 miles nothing but a new carb and regular maintanence.
2004 Kia Spectra 5 speed fun to drive and 30mpg around town.

'97 Crown Vic P71- Got rid of it shortly after putting some money into it. I sold it because I thought it would keep nickel and diming, but I don't think so now. Right before I sold it, I had the motor mounts done and in the process they dropped the starter, so I got a brand new starter for free! I remember driving the car to drop it off, thinking about turning around. Should have.

'94 Caprice LT1- Sold it because I got the itch for something new, a truck. Bought a Ranger shortly after that turned out to be a pile. That Caprice ran beautifully and strong. Had 144,000 miles but looked/drove great and was very tight.

Hi,
'34 Singer LeMans - sold in 1956
'55 Ford Customline - sold in 1966
'67 VW 1600TL - sold in 1972
'68 Mercedes Benz 230SL - sold in 1973
'73 MGB - sold in 2001
'89 Porsche 928S4 - sold in 2006

And a FIAT 124, and 850 Coupe - oh and a Lancia Fulvia and an Alfa GTV.......................

Daily use of late - 2001 Subaru Outback - sold in 2005

Last edited:
1971 K-5 Blazer I sure miss that thing!
59968181.jpg

Locked front and rear, it was an offroad machince.
1991 S-10 Blazer couldn't kill it. When I sold it, it had 270,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
'34 Singer LeMans - sold in 1956
'

shocked.gif

sold in 1956? My mom was only 6 yrs old in 1956.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back