Carrier vs. Lennox?

lennox is trash in my opinion but I work for a carrier dealer so...

i did an install last year of a unit like you need. Bryant evolution (same as carrier infinity) dual fuel 5 ton 5 speed system. i stacked two Honeywell 20x25x4 filter bases and transitioned to the unit. it has three 18 inch returns and one 12 inch. the supply duct was perfect as well. static pressure in max speed is .40!

you cant even hear this thing running. the homeowner is extremely happy with it.

lennox just sux. its hard to work on. harder to get parts for and breaks down. they dont have the mandatory factory training, or proper tech support like carrier does.

Don't forget American Standard, they are a Trane system without the sound deadening blanket. Put one in my last house.
every since trane got bought out by Ingersoll Rand the equipment has been garbage. not to mention the parts are 3 times the price of any carrier product when needed

Carrier (which spun off from United Technologies) has a bunch of brand names. The way an installer described it to me, a lot of the big players have several brands to differentiate even if much of the heart is the same. Carrier seems to include Day & Night as well as Bryant.
don't forget comfort maker, icp, payne, grand aire, tempstar, and a few others. all good stuff. i put a payne heat pump in my house. love it

Carrier (which spun off from United Technologies) has a bunch of brand names. The way an installer described it to me, a lot of the big players have several brands to differentiate even if much of the heart is the same. Carrier seems to include Day & Night as well as Bryant.
Tis true. I worked in a Carrier plant (Indy) for 4 years fresh out of college. The company was actually named "BDP division of Carrier" (BDP stood for Bryant, Day & Night, Payne). Some of the products came off the assembly line without a brand badge on them, instead having a square hole in the cardboard container for the badge to be installed elsewhere.

Tis true. I worked in a Carrier plant (Indy) for 4 years fresh out of college. The company was actually named "BDP division of Carrier" (BDP stood for Bryant, Day & Night, Payne). Some of the products came off the assembly line without a brand badge on them, instead having a square hole in the cardboard container for the badge to be installed elsewhere.

When I had an A/C installed, the installer tried selling me on York. Not sure who the owner was at the time, but it's Johnson Controls now. He said the case was about all that was different than a similar A/C from a related brand.

Looks like Johnson Controls still owns York and licenses the Coleman brand. Probably not a coincidence that they look so similar. York does have that corner insert in the housing that has the brand.

COL-QH4B-RHP.jpg

dx_residentialcategory_imagegallery_heat-pump.png

Warranty isn't always worth it when you have obvious issue you can DIY and fix yourself (i.e. a simple sensor or fan burnt out you can just swap parts you ordered). Between a brand that you can easily buy parts online vs one you have to go to a parts store as a certified tech to their own program, I'd definitely pick one that you can go buy parts on your own.

I've replaced a draft motor fan on a furnace (I know, not AC but still good close enough because of the same contractor and supply chain) for only $100 instead of having to hire a pro for a minimum $400 then get the warranty paid part.

I had a York furnace and it was through lemon until I got tire and make lemonade to the curb.
My old house built in 1994 still had the original York furnace and air conditioner when I sold it in 2018.

In the time that I lived there, I replaced the following (myself, not paying someone to do this work):

1)Ignitor
2)Run capacitors, indoor and outdoor
3)Indoor fan motor (was making buzzing noise on startup, replaced only because I was selling the house and the new owner would likely have wanted it fixed anyway).

don't forget comfort maker, icp, payne, grand aire, tempstar, and a few others. all good stuff. i put a payne heat pump in my house. love it

Agree,
I had a Tempstar setup installed because it’s very similar to Carrier and is a little more affordable. One key thing as noted by others is quality of installation. One of the best installers in my area is a Tempstar dealer.

I would rather have an excellent installer that far exceeds code minimums and installs a second tier system than an average installer installing a high end unit.

Pick the contractor bottom line is getting a good install crew. Can have the best equipment can problematic if not installed correctly. The higher the seer rating the more complicated it is service = less qualified people to work on it. Might need a laptop the correct cables program and understand all the controls. Have you checked with your utility companies for rebates. Have you been satisfied with the tonage of the ac? Furnace cycle in the coldest temperature? Summer house feel humid? More insulation better windows or doors in the mix for the future that could make both heating and cooling oversize.

We decided.

Carrier Gas Furnace:
Infinity 96 Communicating 96% Efficient 2-stage Variable speed motor
Model group: 59TN6B
Carrier Heat pump:
Infinity 18 (18 Seer) Efficient 5-stage
Model group: 25VNA8 3-Ton

Average stuff as our climate is not extreme, and just a few very cold/hot snaps.

The rebates from the power co/etc are more than the sales tax (win)

The install company we picked has an excellent reputation. One of the competitors called me at 8pm still pushing and talking up Lennox, and still had not sent me anything in writing.

We decided.

Carrier Gas Furnace:
Carrier Heat pump:

Average stuff as our climate is not extreme, and just a few very cold/hot snaps.

The install company we picked has an excellent reputation. One of the competitors called me at 8pm still pushing and talking up Lennox, and still had not sent me anything in writing.
great choice. you will love the wifi controller. 10 year parts warranty too.

Anecdotal only. I had one Lennox heat pump system that required a few minor repairs during the first four years. I had one house in Florida with a Carrier gas furnace/AC that lasted only 10 years before the compressor died. My current Carrier system in Florida (different house) has been trouble free for 7 years.

I see that you chose a Carrier system. Solid choice.

We are getting ready to build our retirement home. I hope Carrier is the same quality today that it was when we had our present Carrier systems installed in the present house in 1993. Yes, both are still going, the are NG with AC, I've replaced a control board in both and an igniter in 1, a couple of start caps and a fan motor but they both have their original compressors, coils and flame pipes.

Lennox sig series 5 ton 21 seer variable capacity and speed - It's pretty awesome.

Super quiet powerful and inexpensive to run. Best air heat systems Ive ever owned.

Our owner has the carrier infinity and has replaced a lot of components in it, but he's on a beach in Hawaii so salt air is likely the problem.

Lennox sig series 5 ton 21 seer variable capacity and speed - It's pretty awesome.

Super quiet powerful and inexpensive to run. Best air heat systems Ive ever owned.

Our owner has the carrier infinity and has replaced a lot of components in it, but he's on a beach in Hawaii so salt air is likely the problem.
salt air is a huge problem.

Agree,
I had a Tempstar setup installed because it’s very similar to Carrier and is a little more affordable. One key thing as noted by others is quality of installation. One of the best installers in my area is a Tempstar dealer.

I would rather have an excellent installer that far exceeds code minimums and installs a second tier system than an average installer installing a high end unit.
the install is 3/4 of the system if you ask me. getting the ducts sized right an doing proper purging and evacuation will give you decades of service and lower costs

We decided.

Carrier Gas Furnace:
Carrier Heat pump:

Curious about this- since the heat pump can make heat or cold why bother with adding propane furnace on top?

Sounds like the Lennox guy blew it.

Back