Carrier Bearing Failure - VW

Had tranny carrier bearing failure on a 2011 Jetta 2.5 SE at only 65k miles. Dealer said a new transmission is needed; any idea what could cause this? Had a 2nd shop look at it and agreed on what was wrong with the car; could wiggle the driveshafts around near the tranny a bit - mainly on one side but a bit on the other too. And car made a roaring sound when driving above 20mph. Didn't drive the car that hard; only big previous repair was a wheel bearing.

The car wasn't abused, only 65k miles and failed badly, Just the poor quality metallurgy of the bearing from the poor quality control. Sucks, hope it isn't too much to fix.

Bearings rarely fail from bad metallurgy or quality control. Without seeing the bearing I'll have to comment by knowing the averages.

It's likely the bearing failed by surface distress. Manufacturers are all moving toward lifetime fill for transmission fluid. This means the break-in debris doesn't get flushed out. I've seen many tested transmission bearings that fail or suffer from surface distress.

There's a big push by manufacturers to start with a really clean transmission to remove manufacturing debris for their lifetime fill program. This can be difficult since the industry has moved toward more environmentally friendly cleaning methods for components, which is often less effective than in the past.

I always recommend a complete fluid exchange at 25K for any transmission, regardless of the manufacturer's recommendation.

Bearings rarely fail from bad metallurgy or quality control. Without seeing the bearing I'll have to comment by knowing the averages.

It's likely the bearing failed by surface distress. Manufacturers are all moving toward lifetime fill for transmission fluid. This means the break-in debris doesn't get flushed out. I've seen many tested transmission bearings that fail or suffer from surface distress.

There's a big push by manufacturers to start with a really clean transmission to remove manufacturing debris for their lifetime fill program. This can be difficult since the industry has moved toward more environmentally friendly cleaning methods for components, which is often less effective than in the past.

I always recommend a complete fluid exchange at 25K for any transmission, regardless of the manufacturer's recommendation.
It was flushed at the dealer just before the recommended 50k interval.

Back