Carquest Premium Filters

I recently purchased a couple of Carquest premium filters. They seemed to have changed since my last purchase. One was made in China and the other was made in Vietnam. They had significantly different face plates. I included pics.

Are they both made by same manufacturer? Is it still purolator making these filters? If not, anyone know who's making them.

Made in Vietnam
20231113_090603.jpg
20231113_090615.jpg
20231113_090549.jpg

Made in China

20231113_181301.jpg
20231113_181401.jpg
20231113_181348.jpg

I recently purchased a couple of Carquest premium filters. They seemed to have changed since my last purchase. One was made in China and the other was made in Vietnam. They had significantly different face plates. I included pics.

Are they both made by same manufacturer? Is it still purolator making these filters? If not, anyone know who's making them.

Made in Vietnam
View attachment 188416View attachment 188418View attachment 188419

Made in China

View attachment 188420View attachment 188421View attachment 188422
Looks like Premium Guard. I’d run it

Thanks, I didn't think they looked like Purolator filters to me. I have never used Premium guard. How is the media on them? Anyone know what the filtration efficiency? Are they generally considered a good choice? These are going on my 20 hp Merc Outboard and my Generac generator. I also installed a made in China one on my old 350 Chev (didn't get pics before I installed, but similar to the small filter).

Ever since CarQuest stopped being Wix clones they seemed to have switched suppliers several times. I bought one a couple of years ago (85515) that was a rebranded Baldwin, labeled as Carquest HD. I am sure I have also had the oval holes of a Purolator on a few too.

Looks nice usually the Asian market puts together a quality filter. the premium ones I used in the past did not have silicone sealing gaskets just a silicone adbv.

Thanks, I didn't think they looked like Purolator filters to me. I have never used Premium guard. How is the media on them? Anyone know what the filtration efficiency? Are they generally considered a good choice? These are going on my 20 hp Merc Outboard and my Generac generator. I also installed a made in China one on my old 350 Chev (didn't get pics before I installed, but similar to the small filter).

Ever since CarQuest stopped being Wix clones they seemed to have switched suppliers several times. I bought one a couple of years ago (85515) that was a rebranded Baldwin, labeled as Carquest HD. I am sure I have also had the oval holes of a Purolator on a few too.

Does anybody the efficiency of these filters? They appear to be well made.

The Premium Guard "Selects" which are positioned for 10,000 miles are 99%@25 microns. The standard line is 93%@25 microns. This is if your getting a Premium guard made filter. I'm not sure how it all matches up but Oreilly's Microgard brand has both options as does Napa now I think.

They have been excellent construction wise.

Looks like Premium Guard Select (some resellers call them XLs). Betting AAP didn't lower the price any for their 3rd world supplier move, either! Hard to believe these were once one of the better filter deals around, a Champion Mobil 1 clone...

Looks like Premium Guard Select (some resellers call them XLs). Betting AAP didn't lower the price any for their 3rd world supplier move, either! Hard to believe these were once one of the better filter deals around, a Champion Mobil 1 clone...
Looks like Advance has the Carquest Premium priced well below the OReilly Microgard XL, $7.74 here versus $10.99.

The Premium Guard "Selects" which are positioned for 10,000 miles are 99%@25 microns. The standard line is 93%@25 microns. This is if your getting a Premium guard made filter. I'm not sure how it all matches up but Oreilly's Microgard brand has both options as does Napa now I think.

They have been excellent construction wise.

Where does those efficiency stats come from? Would it be safe to assume the CarQuest Premium is the same as the Premium Guard Select in terms of media?

Where does those efficiency stats come from? Would it be safe to assume the CarQuest Premium is the same as the Premium Guard Select in terms of media?
I would not automatically assume every carquest premium is a premium guard but some of them are like this one posted here. How many are I don't know. Those general efficiency ratings are off the premium guard's website.

I would not automatically assume every carquest premium is a premium guard but some of them are like this one posted here. How many are I don't know. Those general efficiency ratings are off the premium guard's website.
Thank you. I found the stats on the website. The two filters I posted above seem to be Premium guards based on the consensus here. The one I put on my SBC (85060) was virtually identical to the 85394 (both made in China), just larger. So, I'd assume it's a Premium Guard as well. 99% @ 25u sounds pretty decent to me, especially since these engines all have short OCIs.

Interestingly, the Carquest shows the 85060 on its website as what looks like a Purolator clone with 99% @ 30u efficiency. The one I installed was definitely not like that one, so I am assuming they just didn’t update the website.

Thank you. I found the stats on the website. The two filters I posted above seem to be Premium guards based on the consensus here. The one I put on my SBC (85060) was virtually identical to the 85394 (both made in China), just larger. So, I'd assume it's a Premium Guard as well. 99% @ 25u sounds pretty decent to me, especially since these engines all have short OCIs.

Interestingly, the Carquest shows the 85060 on its website as what looks like a Purolator clone with 99% @ 30u efficiency. The one I installed was definitely not like that one, so I am assuming they just didn’t update the website.

One sign of Premium Guard is the "Leak Tested" stamped on top of the can like shown in your pics here. When I spoke to one of the guys at PG he claimed the 10k filters were more like 99%@20 but he never sent me anything showing those testing results so I'm skeptical but they are excellent quality filters construction wise regardless. It seems that Napa has been shifting away from M&H over to PG filters so yeah old photo's.

Both Premium Guard.. they have contractor factories in Vietnam, China and Korea.
Yes, exactly, Premium Guard (which is Interfil) is a reseller of (predominantly?) offshore whitebox products, with contracts with manufacturing facilities in various parts of Asia.

It's a bit like buying a store brand of something, except that in this case, the store brand is a re-brand of the reseller's product, who also distributes that same product under their own name, so there's another "layer" so to speak.

They could be made like this for all we know, lol

These ones even have the bright red ADBV:

Back