Carquest or Shell RGT for relatively new engine

I have a '19 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 V6 and direct injection. It now has about 6200 miles. I did the first oil change at 2700 miles with RGT. I'll be doing the next change before 7000 in the next few weeks. I've got six more jugs of RGT on hand and one jug of the Carquest full synthetic. The RGT has a good bit more Moly than the Carquest. So my question is, with the engine still breaking in, would it be better to go another interval with the RGT and it's Moly, or use the Carquest because it doesn't matter. Is more Moly advantageous to a newer engine? The Carquest will be used at some point, it's just a matter of when. And yeah, I know that both meet the specs so they are both good. But is the extra Moly a plus at this time in the engine's life?

Thanks

If you had said 500 or 1,000 miles it might have been an interesting question. Some manufacturers seem to think high moly can be beneficial during initial break-in of their engines. However at 7,000 mi I doubt it will make much difference. Assuming both oils will run through this engine at some.point flip a coin.

Honestly, I think if you did a UOA on any engine during the first 10,000 miles of its life, you’d find high moly still in that engine. And I want to say that Carquest changed their formula around a couple years ago and went with a more mo,y based formula, instead of what they used to use...which looked basically like Valvoline (sodium, no moly).

Long story short, hey just go with the RGT, simply because you used it last time and it’s the only oil you’ve had in that engine over its short life besides the factory fill. Then change it to Carquest.

Back