Carquest Blue (Wix made) 84145 C&P, 5,058 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a CarQuest Blue 84145 (Wix made) off my daughters 2012 Scion xB.
49,858 miles on car, 5058 miles on filter. Oil was Quaker State 5w-20.

Look very similar to the last two CQ I have done (HERE and HERE) as well as the earlier WIX

Filter (not rust on the seam, just dirt and oil, I double checked):
[Linked Image]

Silicone ADV:
[Linked Image]

Baseplate:
[Linked Image]

Metal center tube with holes:
[Linked Image]

Media:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Magnets caught a lot of stuff her in the top (similar to previous filters with magnets):
[Linked Image]

New fill is Mobil 1 EP and another CarQuest Blue 84145
[Linked Image]

Media is wrapped in paper towels drying out and will tear that apart and post in the next day or so.

I also have another youtube video posted of it as well.

Odd thing was this filter was leaking a bit. I tightened it when I installed it like I normally do, but there was some obvious leaking going on this time.
I was down almost a qt this time (previous changes at same interval have been 1/2 to 3/4 qt low), but at 4000 miles, it was only maybe 1/4 qt low, so 3/4 qt in 1000 miles.
Need to keep an eye on it for sure, this is the infamous 2AZ-FE that has consumption issues starting as early as 40,000 miles.
Weird thing is, seems to be loosing more oil in the last 1000 miles of the interval?

On a side note, my daughter did the entire oil change herself with me just supervising. only thing I did was get the floor jack out, jacked it up and put it on a stand, everything else she did.
Makes a dad proud.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Good for her and good for you teaching her!!! Whats the stuff in the bottom of the can? Slime or grit?

Just stuff that is magnetic. Last 2 filters had similar:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This time I had 2 magnets in the middle, so it just caught more there.
The Wix from before I did not put a magnet on, so no idea if it was doing it then, and if I did not have magnets these times (and I put them on again this time) I would not even know about it. No idea how fine they really are, so may or may not have been caught by the media.
It feels like a very fine powder, and as said, is magnetic. Is it the engine slowly dying, no idea. I probably should do a UOA to find out for sure, but not really worried about it truthfully.

Not unusual for a Camry motor such has this one... My lady's Camry 98 2.2 does the exact same thing.. burns more in the last 1k miles...

Very good c and p. As usual too for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
No idea how fine they really are, so may or may not have been caught by the media.
It feels like a very fine powder, and as said, is magnetic. Is it the engine slowly dying, no idea. I probably should do a UOA to find out for sure, but not really worried about it truthfully.

Most of that is ferrous metal wear. I see the same "black paste" on magnetic drain plugs. Most of it is probably too fine to be caught by most spin-on filters. Good C&P, thanks.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Not unusual for a Camry motor such has this one... My lady's Camry 98 2.2 does the exact same thing.. burns more in the last 1k miles...

smile.gif

Amen colonel. I need to get off my lazy hind end and cut and post my tough guard filter.

OP: thanks for c&p
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero

But why? Just seems weird to have a non-linear oil usage.
I know the 2AZ-FE has the oil loss issue due to the ring issue, but none I have read say it is a sudden increase in loss at a specific mileage within the oil change interval.
My truck uses a qt ever 1500 miles (give or take a few hundred depending on how I drive), but is always there from the time the oil is put in.
I could understand a particular oil causing a new symptom of oil loss (which happened here, last 2 changes were low with an increase between 4000 and 5000 miles, both times I used QSUD (0w-20 and 5w-20). I will be checking oil every 1000 miles to watch carefully for loss, maybe 500 miles if it is noticeable).
Who knows, I may throw some 5w-30 in it next time (I was planning on using up all my 0w-20 (another 23 qts) on this vehicle though).

smile.gif

Thanks.

Well...

I don't have much an explanation either
lol.gif

Just observations... Over the last 5 years with the lady's 98 Camry...

It does seem strange to me too... And what is more weird is that for whatever earthly reason the car burns a fair amount less Motorcraft 5w30 than any other oil I have run in it... Sometimes as little as a half a quart... Versus say Warren Distribution made oil for Federated Auto... The car burned about 1 and 1/3 a quart of that in 3,200 miles...

I don't know why that is the case. But it has been that way the whole time we've had the car. Got it with 66k miles.. Now at 153k miles.

Originally Posted by blupupher
...Media is wrapped in paper towels drying out and will tear that apart and post in the next day or so....
Weird thing is, seems to be loosing more oil in the last 1000 miles of the interval?
The paper towels are such a good idea I've done it myself---only later to read of other people doing the same thing.
Dipsticks are non-linear, because the upper surface area of oil in the sump typically shrinks as the oil level drops.

Got the media cut open today.

A little carbon and a few little metal flakes in there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Daughter will be getting her license in a week so car will be getting driven more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back