Carpet Brands Question

Anyone in the Carpet Business or DIY know what the best carpet brands are? I don’t know what style the Family is looking at. Any brands to avoid? TIA

Shaw and Karastan are good quality but there are many others. But as someone who spent some years working in research for the carpet business, I can tell you several things to look for when buying carpet.

1. Avoid polyester. Yes, it feels soft and looks good in the show room but it will mat and traffic lane very quickly and you will end up being very unhappy with your purchase.

2. Select nylon fiber and go for the highest density of nylon per sq ft that you can afford. The more fiber per area, the tougher the carpet will be. As a consumer, I always choose a loop pile or Berber construction over a cut pile construction as it wears like a board. The only time to avoid loop pie is if you have pets or small children. If they pull a loop loose from the backing, it will pull loose completely across the carpet. However, a quality cut pile will also give good performance if the density of the nylon is high.

3. Many of the carpet manufacturers get their nylon fiber from the same suppliers so buy based on density of fiber, color and visual.

4. Buy the best pad that you can afford when installing the carpet. The quality of the pad will help with both durability and potential matting.

Hope this helps!

Back