Carlisle PA Import show pics

That's an '81 + Rabbit Truck. I had an '80 Diesel. 4 Speed MT. Not sure it could beat a Micro Van in a race. The yellow lights were in the front bumper the first year, in '80. 45 mpg. !!

Nobody told me you have to change the oil every once in a while in a Diesel. Young me thought "Diesel" meant zero maintenance. Absolutely no smog equipment required.

This one looks real clean.

Nothing can defeat this one: the engine can be lubed with crude oil if need be, it runs on just about anything except Diesel, and drinks more gas than a full size pickup truck. I was manufactured in a country that was part of the former Soviet block, and it couldn't score a one star safety rating in a frontal crash test, never mind the small overlap test. It is glorified junk, and they have a tendency to be extremely unreliable, no matter how much you try to take care of them. It's a French design (Renault 12) that was already outdated in the mid-60s. Here is the best part: it has a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission ... and it's a front-wheel drive car. 🤣

1715491517563.jpg

What a fantastic, eclectic collection. I could have spent hours walking around all those beauties. It's nice to see that some people still know who Herbie is 😊.

This beauty would have been my main attraction.. ♥️

Screenshot_20240512-070255.jpg

Nothing can defeat this one: the engine can be lubed with crude oil if need be, it runs on just about anything except Diesel, and drinks more gas than a full size pickup truck. I was manufactured in a country that was part of the former Soviet block, and it couldn't score a one star safety rating in a frontal crash test, never mind the small overlap test. It is glorified junk, and they have a tendency to be extremely unreliable, no matter how much you try to take care of them. It's a French design (Renault 12) that was already outdated in the mid-60s. Here is the best part: it has a longitudinally mounted engine and transmission ... and it's a front-wheel drive car. 🤣

View attachment 218938
Dacia? Basically a Romanian-built Renault. They were sold here for a year or so in the early '80s.

My friend's parents owned one for a while. I helped them with a crank- but-no-start situation once - IIRC, a wire had come off the breaker points.

My friend's mum said the seats were incredibly comfortable - way better than the mid-'70s Olds they'd had previously.

1 YUGO and no Ford Cortina's had a Cortina MK II when I was stationed in Guam early 70's. ;)

50th anniversary show today with over 2000 cars turning out.

went once. was like a screen from animal house not a car show,

Back