carfax or other vin websites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used carfax for my vehicle history but it seems to be really pricy now, before it was 49.99 and unlimited vin number checks for 60 days, now it's only 5, and the vehicle I'm looking to buy is rare in the good condition that I'm looking for, so should I do carfax as usual or are there other reliable website for cheaper?

I don't buy vehicles with accident history, I know they can be hidden but generally people claim insurance and it gets reported. If VinAudit is a legit website then 9.99 sounds like a fair deal to me.

Cost:

Carfax 1 Report 39.99
5 Reports 49.99 (60 days)
Autocheck 1 Report 29.99
Unlimited Reports 44.99 (30 days)
VinAudit 1 Report 9.99

Originally Posted By: jacky
if you are really concerned about the vehicles past, that is a small price to pay

True but Carfax isn't 100% reliable.
Still worth it for some peace of mind,though.

IIRC NHTSA links to some VIN checking outfits that do one time checks for $2.50-$3 each.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
IIRC NHTSA links to some VIN checking outfits that do one time checks for $2.50-$3 each.

smart man, it worked and this is exactly what I was asking for. Forget carfax and it's ridiculously expensive cost.

Spend 100 and get a trusted independent mechanic to inspect the vehicle. All those VIN checking services are nice, but are nothing more than database miners...and can miss things (or the problems weren't reported in the first place).

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Spend 100 and get a trusted independent mechanic to inspect the vehicle. All those VIN checking services are nice, but are nothing more than database miners...and can miss things (or the problems weren't reported in the first place).

I agree with having a trusted mechanic to inspect the vehicle for $100-150, if the car OP is buying for $7-8k or more. But checking online with VIN first for less than $15-20 is worth it. If report is good then arrange to have the car checked by mechanic.

Autocheck is cheaper and better than carfax.
Then there is the really cheap ones but they only give limited info.

I also like to just google the VIN as it shows recent auction that the VIN reports may miss.

Carfax won't tell you what was repaired...nor how well it was repaired...not even if it was completely repaired...

...only...that it was registered, that it had some maintenance, that it was involved in an accident...if there's any title anomaly and the mile/months left to the warranty.

...it will only tell you what was reported, however incomplete and inaccurate.

...but you know THAT already....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Carfax won't tell you what was repaired...nor how well it was repaired...not even if it was completely repaired...

...only...that it was registered, that it had some maintenance, that it was involved in an accident...if there's any title anomaly and the mile/months left to the warranty.

...it will only tell you what was reported, however incomplete and inaccurate.

...but you know THAT already....

LOL yes I do, I consider myself more competent then your average mechanic so I can thoroughly inspect the vehicle myself.

I just want wanted a carfax for the purpose of any previously reported accident or odometer roll backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back