Carfax or Autocheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a 2007 Acura TSX and needs its VIN checked out, would really appreciate if anyone has access to carfax or auto check and run the report please?

Thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by taztheman
They both are too expensive for me. Whenever I buy a car I always check all the free vin checker sites and go from there.

The way I do it is make an eBay listing of the car. Put in all the correct information, and list it. It will give you a free experian VIN check. Then I pull it off.

They both are too expensive for me. Whenever I buy a car I always check all the free vin checker sites and go from there.

$40 on something that will cost me thousands now and possibly thousands later seems like a deal to me.....

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
The way I do it is make an eBay listing of the car. Put in all the correct information, and list it. It will give you a free experian VIN check. Then I pull it off.

No more free car listings on Ebay. Minimum cost is now $25 for a listing. Still gonna do that?

07 TSX, your about to spend $4-8k on a car depending on the miles.

Pay for the service. It's like $49 for 5 reports. I'm sure this won't be the only car you look at either.

$49 as a percentage of $4-8k is nothing.

That is so smart about making an ebay listing for the car! Great idea

Yep, $25 for the Ebay listing VS. $39 for five Carfax reports. If you only look at one car.

Purchased a set of 3 Carfax reports last year. Turned out the car I bought was the first Carfax I used. The others expired a couple months ago. Offered them to family and friends and no interest.

What I found out about my car was that it was serviced by the dealership every year of its life from new. It had everything done in shorter intervals than the OEM recommended, such as 2500 mile oil changes. So all that was good to know on such a low mileage 2001. That was really the info I needed to know in order to buy it. On the flip side, Carfaxes only list what is reported to them. I was considering a car back in 2011 that came with a pretty detailed Carfax of warranty items replaced. But when I tapped my local GM dealership for their service history, it had another pile of "warranty" work not listed on the Carfax. And because of that I passed on it. Can you imagine a driver getting 2 sets of brakes, 2 exhaust systems, suspension parts, a shifter, side mirrors, window motors, and other items all within the first 18,000 miles/3 yrs of ownership?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Wolf359
They seem to come and go on eBay and Amazon. Right now I see listings on eBay at about $7 for a report.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carfax-Vehicle-History-Original-within-2-minutes/312830460339

Pretty sure Carfax doesn't allow that. Terms of service and all.

That's probably why they come and go. At one point they were on Amazon but I guess Amazon cracked down on it too. It's probably a game of wack a mole, they'll spring up every once in a while. It was nice when you could get both the carfax and autocheck for $7 total. I'd like to get both because autocheck will show stuff that carfax doesn't.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

$40 on something that will cost me thousands now and possibly thousands later seems like a deal to me.....

This is BITOG...where old cars come to die and guys run all over town (current thread going on now-over on Sales-promotion forum) for .65 cents oil.

I agree making a capitol expenditure (new or used) and not affording the $$$ for a carfax.. OK.........................

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
...Can you imagine a driver getting 2 sets of brakes, 2 exhaust systems, suspension parts, a shifter, side mirrors, window motors, and other items all within the first 18,000 miles/3 yrs of ownership?

Yes, it's called service advisers with good sales skills and a customer with no capability of saying no.

My SIL had her brakes changed 3 months after I replaced them (rotors, pads and etc). The service adviser was a lady and she trusted her more than me.
=me sleep better by not taking care of SIL cars anymore...

They are expensive because likely half of them get retrieved by violating TOS , sort of like what went down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back