Carb cleaner to debadge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped a friend of mine at the local Bosch service center this evening to pick up his car. Once we got there, we parked, walked into the reception area where he paid, then headed to his car.

As we headed to his car, I noticed one of the customers wanted his E39 BMW debadged. One of the guys working there tore off the 528i badge, spraying carburetor cleaner onto the trunk lid and began using his finger nails to remove the residue.

And people call me paranoid for not trusting anyone with my vehicles.
33.gif

WD-40 will work and is much safer to use. They also make some stuff for the job. I forget what it's call but the dealers sell it.

Had they poured Berryman B12,there would have been a more serious situation.

Heat gun to soften the adhesive, then dental floss or fishing line to saw through it. Generic adhesive remover to get the residue off.

Wow, that's another illustration of how bad you have it over there for car service. A so-called "professional" shop doing that. I'd say you're not paranoid, you're being cautious.

Why would they want to debadge a vehicle? Are they so embarrassed by what they purchased that they think no one will notice?

Sounds rather silly, and to actually pay someone to do it is probably the pinnacle of ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Why would they want to debadge a vehicle? Are they so embarrassed by what they purchased that they think no one will notice?

Sounds rather silly, and to actually pay someone to do it is probably the pinnacle of ridiculous.

Some dealers put rather obnoxious badges on the cars, or sometimes the manufacturer just goes a bit too crazy with badging things. The 1990s GM cars come to mind...model, trim, ABS, engine, etc.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Some dealers put rather obnoxious badges on the cars, or sometimes the manufacturer just goes a bit too crazy with badging things. The 1990s GM cars come to mind...model, trim, ABS, engine, etc.

ABS hubcaps and center caps! Along with an ABS badge on the trunk and doors.

Yeah, and just think back in the old days we used to fill holes to do it. Remove emblem, grind, braze hole shut, grind, tap down, fill, sand, prime, paint. It's an old customizing thing. I de-badged the tailgate of my Tacoma, it had 4 freaking emblems on it. Looks much better now.

2nd. Debadging a car looks GHETTO.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

2nd. Debadging a car looks GHETTO.

Nah, Gold Emblems and other related stick on chrome doo-dads are GHETTO

Last edited:
Easy fellers, it's called 'sanitizing' and it looks GREAT on many cars.

It definitely is better than the car covered with badges and stickers.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: dparm

ABS hubcaps and center caps! Along with an ABS badge on the trunk and doors.

Any new model Toyota beats that with way too many badges on the back.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Easy fellers, it's called 'sanitizing' and it looks GREAT on many cars.

It definitely is better than the car covered with badges and stickers.

For what it's worth It might be called sanitizing now, but back in the early days of customizing it was called "shaving the emblems". I did it on my first car back in 1977 and generally like the look. A few tasteful emblems are OK, sure makes washing, polishing, waxing easier too. These guys would have a cow if I told them that people actually used to remove chrome moldings and fill the holes. Sometimes the door handles got shaved too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back