Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi has left us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always enjoyed their show when I caught it. Hey, we had a Dodge Dart when I was a young man; a '69, metallic green with a black vinyl roof, 225 slant six and TorqueFlite transmission. I'm starting to feel old...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/staff-blog/tom-magliozzi-1937-2014
Obit Link on Cartalk.com

even after losing His Brother, Ray is still cracking Wise at Tommy..(From the First Paragraph of the Obit)
“Turns out he wasn’t kidding,” said Ray. “He really couldn’t remember last week’s puzzler.” (Tommy Died of Complication from Alzheimer's)
And Tommy would probably be laughing the loudest at this.

I was at work so I couldn't listen to the sound files in the article I posted but I just listened to the toll-evader call. Definitely worth the 8-1/2 minutes of your time.

Wife and I have been listening to their podcast for years and years. Even the repeats have us glued to the speakers.

Truly a sad day and it tuly feels like we lost a friend.

Terrible news indeed... My favorite NPR show. I'd listen every weekend to it and then Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

"Don't drive like my brother" "and don't drive like my brother" -Click & Clack

As much as I detest my tax dollars used to support any media, those clowns did make me laugh. For years. They weren't always right, but they had a good time doing it. A couple things they did had me howling, mostly involving turbos and Volvo. The whole routine about why a car from Sweden would be so lousy in the snow was hilarious.

Oddly I never sought out a picture of them. The linked article is the first time in my entire life I have seen a picture of Tom.

Tommy would have fit right in with the BITOG crowd. Surprising that he didn't write in here.

So, the question is: Will Melissa Peterson step up to the plate and fill their shoes?

Originally Posted By: spackard
So, the question is: Will Melissa Peterson step up to the plate and fill their shoes?

That brat?
smile.gif

They were by far the funniest show on NPR. I was also impressed by Ray's skill at diagnosing weird malfunctions with just the skimpiest bit of evidence.

Been a weekly listener since day one, and even now I don't want to accept that the podcasts are repeats. But it does annoy me when they miss the diagnosis.

That little twerp!

Originally Posted By: Melissa Peterson
PPPS, and my dog hates you too!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

That brat?
smile.gif

RIP Tommy. Still tune in to their repeats on Saturday mornings. Their CD collections are classics. Thanks for the funny memories guys!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
That little twerp!

Originally Posted By: Melissa Peterson
PPPS, and my dog hates you too!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

That brat?
smile.gif

I wonder if that brat now has her own brat! It has been so many years since she first surfaced.

Somebody else which I will always remember is Aruuuuuuuuuup Gupta. If I am not mistaken, he was the crazy who was going to *walk* the death valley!

Just an FYI: I heard a news anchor pronounce Tom's last name as molly-ought-see.

I always thought is was pronounced mag-lee-ozee.

molly-ought-see sounds a heck of a lot better.

The "g" was always silent. The only time "g" was not silent when his drill sargent cut his weekend pass and made him peel 4 ton of potato instead!

Whatever happened to the said drill sargent? I thought surely, he would have called at least once during the 35 years of Tom's reign.

I read their column from time to time. Listened to them in Alaska commercial fishing for about 5 summers. NPR was about the only station we would get in the area.

I enjoyed their sense of humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back