Car Stuff to do in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents are on a trip in the UK, mostly things my mom is interested in. They're going to have half a day free in London next week before they fly out and I was wondering if there are any car museums or car-related things so my dad can see something he's more interested in? Thanks in advance!

I do not recall any specific car stuff in London, but then again its LONDON ffs. The tube (subway) is excellent, the museums are fantastic. Have your dad read a Fodors tourguide for ideas. I liked the London Eye, and the HMS Belfast tour was nice. The Tower of London is great, and the tourguides are a hoot.

If they want a bit of adventure, renting a car at the airport and driving the 85 miles to Amesbury and Stonehenge is a good little jaunt.

Mercedes-Benz World in Weybridge, Surrey, UK. Just on the outskirts of London. I consider it an automotive must see. I loved it.

I used to enjoy visitng some of the new car dealerships for brands I liked when I was in London. Somethings yuo'll see vehicles that are not available in the states. i also enjoyed the Imperial War Musuem. have fun1

Originally Posted By: pharden
I used to enjoy visitng some of the new car dealerships for brands I liked when I was in London. Somethings yuo'll see vehicles that are not available in the states. i also enjoyed the Imperial War Musuem. have fun1

IWM has a LRDG Chevy truck on display un-restored as it was brought back from the desert. Not worth a special trip but I think its one of the most effective exhibits. 2WD.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
How about that H-pattern on a stick shift for RHD vehicles. Learn that...

It's the same as in the US...just shifted with the left hand. Pedals are the same as over here too. Biggest challenge in driving in the UK is all the extra car on the left side that you're not used to, and making right turns on the other side of the median strip, and left turns close....

I was born in London and highly recomend the science museum in Kensington, plan on spending the best part of a day.

Other than that a hop on hop off tour boat on the Thames is a good way to see the city.

For car stuff, just look at what you see on the street! Often very differant from the US.

There is or was an outfit running Thames/City tours in a WWII vintage DUKW amphibious truck.

https://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Buggers almost ran me down in my kayak since they enter at speed down a ramp next to the MI6 HQ and its a blind corner if you're hugging the bank to beat the tide.

Probably quite pricey but it looked interesting.

Last edited:
A bit off the route is a great transportation museum....in Glasgow.
https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/glasgow-riverside-museum

All the cars are authentic! The cycle at the top (Honda CB400F) was my old bike years ago.

RRhup3.jpg

YUaiRO.jpg

Msn3mo.jpg

oF07DL.jpg

Llnlah.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kuato
If they want a bit of adventure, renting a car at the airport and driving the 85 miles to Amesbury and Stonehenge is a good little jaunt.

Did that, after the red eye. That was an experience! Only we went to Wales. I forget now, I thought I was doing good until I thought about it: want to say the directional is worked by the left hand and not the right? I worked it fine at first but then it became a chore to remember how to work it. I also found it odd, I kept drifting in my lane. I think I kept going left: used to driving with the yellow line to my left. I'd drift without knowing, then snap back. And speed limit on the highway... seemed ever more of a suggestion than it is over here.

The drive back after a bit sleep went much better.
wink.gif
And yes, I made it a point to rent a manual.

Thanks for the replies. They've already done the London touristy stuff my mom wanted to see so I was looking for something my dad would be more interested in.

I sent them an email suggesting the Brooklands Museum and Mercedes Benz World. Hopefully they get out there before their flight leaves later that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back