Car radio evolution ...

My 1994 Explorer has a factory JBL stereo with a small subwoofer. It's the cassette version (single CD was a rare option), but was still pretty high end for the time. It is also chromium oxide tape compatible. I still have some tapes, and the sound quality in that truck is crystal clear. The subwoofer is worn out though and doesn't like a lot of bass. I'm hoping I can restore it, I really want to keep the original system.

My 1994 Explorer has a factory JBL stereo with a small subwoofer. It's the cassette version (single CD was a rare option), but was still pretty high end for the time. It is also chromium oxide tape compatible. I still have some tapes, and the sound quality in that truck is crystal clear. The subwoofer is worn out though and doesn't like a lot of bass. I'm hoping I can restore it, I really want to keep the original system.
Ebay or partsexpress.com will be your best friend for repairing or rebuilding that tired wornout sub.

Car audio evolved for years, until roughly 10-15 years ago, then it took a turn sideways. It it continued to evolve in terms of convenience, but at the expense of sound quality...

My 1994 Explorer has a factory JBL stereo with a small subwoofer. It's the cassette version (single CD was a rare option), but was still pretty high end for the time. It is also chromium oxide tape compatible.

You can play chromium oxide tapes on any equipment. Recording them is a different story.

I prefer the Bose surround sound in my '11 Tahoe LTZ over the Bose in my '20 Traverse High Country.
The '11 has a subwoofer, the '20 just uses larger diameter front door speakers to try to pump up the bass.

Played these and others over past month or 2 . The regular cassettes are not holding up as well . :(

IMG_8260.JPG
IMG_8261.JPG
IMG_8264.JPG

In a Corvette? Why? Couldn't hear anything anyway. The music coming out of the tailpipes was better than anything coming out of the speaker.

I have contemplated putting a new radio in the Vette several times...only to remind myself that the radio is almost never on anyways. Top down, sweet V8 music!

You can play chromium oxide tapes on any equipment. Recording them is a different story.
Optimized may be a better term, in any case Ford felt it was worth putting "CrO2" on the tape door. I don't own any CrO2 tapes anyway, but have been wearing out a boxed set of Lynyrd Skynyrd tapes that was mostly untouched prior to 1991. Found an 80s Aretha Franklin tape the other day and that's what's in there now.🤣

It's interesting how insignificant AM radio has become to me. For decades, I relied on AM to brings in baseball games from distant stations. The ability of my car radio to do that was very important. There was a period of time prior to the streaming revolution, when receiving AM signals became difficult because of the electrical interference produced by modern cars. I first encountered this with a 1998 Mercury Sable, that produced static that made distant AM signals unobtainable. When I complained about this to the dealer, I was told nobody listens to AM anymore.

Then it seemed like overnight, all this changed with streaming and satellite radio. I haven't listened to any broadcast station in years.

I first encountered this with a 1998 Mercury Sable, that produced static that made distant AM signals unobtainable. When I complained about this to the dealer, I was told nobody listens to AM anymore.

I vaguely remember a TSB for poor AM reception on the Ford vehicles with the radio antenna integrated into the back glass, which I think includes that Sable.

Apparently nobody at the dealer reads TSBs anymore?

EDIT: It was for the fuel pump: https://manualzz.com/doc/18577605/•-fuel-system—fuel-pump-article-no.-“whining”-“buzzing”-n...

Back