Car manufacturer Approved Oil

Although there are lots of oil to chose from the same grade/viscosity of different brands, why there are a lot of car manufacturers very strict on the oil that you put into the engine? It has to have their approval stamped on the jugs you buy. But if you follow their recommendation, those oil required are very hard to find in any auto parts stores.
I agree 100%. I have a Ram 2500 with 6.4l Hemi. Recommended oil has ms-A0291, PUP 0W-40. Other than the API SP 0W-40, this oil has no other certifications or recommendations for any other vehicle. Also it is very hard, if not impossible to find locally. I guess until my warranty expires I could start draining it out of new vehicles on the lot at the dealer or just use something different easier to find. I bought 1 quart locally to go with the 6 I ordered on line and it was $14.63 for 1 quart. It takes 7 quarts. If the oil is really that good shouldn’t it atleast carry some other certifications?

Mercedes has strict oil standards. They also sell cars and tucks all over the world where those oils are unlikely to be available. And yet those vehicles go on and on. I'm supposed to use certain 0w40 oil in my 21 year old e320. Instead, I use the same 5w30 synthetic I put in the Fords and Toyotas. So far, nothing has blown up.

My favorite is when they recommend a certain brand of oil. My wife used to have an '08 Ford Escape and under the hood there was a stick that said, "only use quality Pennzoil oils".
It also said by the gas cap to only use BP fuel.

Back