Car knows when it is time to replace battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was concerned when my wife told me that there was message about low battery and red battery light came on. "did you drive with the red light on?" "yes I did". At first I was not told about the red light. So I thought the car was complaining about keyless fob battery.

So I start the car and there it is, the replace battery message and the red battery light is on in the instrument cluster. Out comes the power probe 3 and I check the voltage. Shows solid 14.2.

I turned on the headlight, rear defroster etc to put on the load and check the voltage to make sure alternator is working correctly. Go back in the car, and the battery light not on any more.

So I guess the computer measures the voltage drop during the starting and decides that it is time to replace the battery. It was the original battery in 2012 Acura TL. I guess it is trying to save me from eventually having to jump start. Given the computing power available, in the car, this would be trivial to program. Never the less, I was pleasantly surprised by getting heads up on the deteriorating health of the battery. Even I had not noticed any weak starting myself but it was always in the back of my mind given the age of the battery. Anything over 4 years is gravy. This one was 6.5 years.

You can always trust your car.

[Linked Image]

What if the gadgetry in your TL is overly conservative? You said yourself that the battery was starting fine.

A depleted battery due to listening to the radio with the engine off or short trips might trip the indicator.

Original battery in a vehicle that is now 7 model years old ='s time to replace and lucky it lasted as long as it did.

Sounds like my battery.
NO problem starting at 3 years & 11 Months old.

But, when I test the battery:
1) CCA is 50% / Battery tester says "Good, needs a charge"
2) Specific Gravity of Electrolyte is - Fair
3) Slow charge all day
4) Voltage first thing in morning is 12.3 V / I'd like to see 12.6 min

How long will it last me ?
I watch it all the time.
Probably the smart thing to do is replace very soon / I'd hate to over work the Alternator.

Part of me wants it to die soon so I can say my diagnostics was correct.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
What if the gadgetry in your TL is overly conservative? You said yourself that the battery was starting fine.

A depleted battery due to listening to the radio with the engine off or short trips might trip the indicator.

If it senses voltage drop from a previous level, vs simply a low voltage, during cranking, it would know the difference.

I suspect this isn't a printer/ toner sale situation since nearly everyone gets an aftermarket battery when they need it.

A message like this on the display should be enough to sate their warranty department, though I bet there are weasel words in the owners manual.

Of course, when my wife told me about it, she also qualified that this happened when the weather was very cold and she had noticed that it did NOT happen when it was NOT brutally cold. This only came out when I told her about alternator problem with one of the other car! By the way, she was correct; I never got the warning again after the subsequent starts during the day.

Some time ago, I ordered all the material to make my own "car memory settings saver" to hook up to OBD port but never got soldering the whole contraption. After realizing that local Honda dealer had reasonable price on new installed installation, I just drove it there and had them put the new one in. Those guys must have done it "live" because all the settings are intact. I popped the hood and eyeballed the new battery from the "+" access cover just to make sure that I did get the proverbial "wall job" from the dealer :) I am somewhat kidding as I can't imagine any dealer doing a "wall job" on battery replacement but I was still somewhat of a **** and did the trust but verify business right in front of them.

In the old.en days before computers cars usually took longer to start due to choke problems which caused longer crank times. The longer crank time would show a sulfated or poor plate condition by cranking slow after the first few normal compression strokes. Newer cars start so quickly that a bad battery will die suddenly. A good load tester should be used if an electrical problem shows up.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Sounds like my battery.

Probably the smart thing to do is replace very soon / I'd hate to over work the Alternator.

A battery on the way to failure, is not going to overwork the alternator, This is an old wives tale, and would only be relevant if the battery shorted a cell or perhaps failed in an open manner, which would be like a load dump on the alternator diodes, and why removing a battery cable is no longer a valid test for the charging system.

I have a temp sensor on my alternator, my blower motor draws 18 amps at highest speed.

Turning on the blower motor at 65 mph and the alternator gains a whole 1.5 degrees, from 129.1 to 130.6 degrees F under an additional 18 amp load.

Idling without airmovement would be a different story in the temperature gained with an extra 18 amps of load. I'll check this the next time I drive..

But the battery on its way out, while if it is NOT fully charged, it cannot accept as much amperage as if it were a healthier battery at the same level of depletion. This means alternator is working less hard feeding an old degraded battery than it would a newer healthier one when it is not fully charged or nearly so

IIf both the old degraded battery AND the New healthy battery are both nearly fully charged, the older battery will accept perhaps to to 1.5 more amps than the new healthy battery. An extra 1.5 amps is not going to wreak havoc on an alternator.

Now if a cell in the degraded battery were to short, then th alternator would be asked to make more amperage, but so much more that the alternator is going to get so hot to get it in the 220f danger zone? highly unlikely in my opinion. I do not have any data on just mow much more amperage a shorted cell actually allow the battery to consume.

Barring a shorted cell, or a completely open battery which reads 0.0v, an old sulfated battery is hardly going to stress an alternator, and it could be argued that it will stress it even less, since a sulfated battery is kind of like a tiny gas tank, it takes much less to fill.

A healthy new depleted battery can stress out an alternator way more than a depleted old battery, as it can accept way higher amperage for much longer, at any voltage the voltage regulator is seeking. It is only when the batteries are nearly full that the new battery acccepts less current than the older battery, and this might be as little as 0.5 amps difference on a low resistance AGM and 1.5 amps on a group 31 marine battery. I noticed a 1.2 amp difference on a group31 marine battery in terms of how much amperage it when fully charged new, compared to year 3 and deep cycle number 500. If 1.2 additional amps is going to break the bacl of an alternator, it was doomeed to fail soon anyway.

So saying an old battery is going to kill the alternator, would be like saying, sorry passengers, I can only allow one of you to charge your smartphone at a time, not 3, as that extra 15 watts of load on the alternator, is going to fry my alternator.

Now a fully charged battery dropping to 12.3v just from parasitic loads overnight is not a good sign of the battery capacity, and or the amount of parasitic load, or the state of charge of the battery when the engine was shut off or just the fact that it is cold outside.

It takes a long time to truly fully charge a battery, although one can easily deplete it quickly. Expecting the alternator to quickly and fully recharge the battery is unwise, in the extreme, so that 12.3v morning voltage could possibly be improved upon if one were to put a chrger on the battery 2 nights previous.

It is wise to note morning voltage and trends in it. Noting the minimum voltage when starting as the battery ages will allow the user to replace the battery before it strands them.

Are there some "smart battery" systems similar to mobile device batteries? The charging system stores information on the battery and estimates how much the battery has depleted. That's pretty much required for lithium rechargeable batteries because of a risk of overcharging or deep discharge. I thought there were some expensive, proprietary car batteries out there, or at least a system that is constantly monitoring the battery and expects a specific OEM-spec replacement.

I was hoping, and assuming my smartphone battery was counting mAH into and out of the battery for the % reading screen.

But, I fear the % is entirely voltage based. If it were counting Mah into or out of the battery, then it would not change % upwards, just when it is turned off left off for a bit then turned back on, or heavy loads are removed from the battery.

sometimes my phone just starts using a lot of battery power, gets hot, for no reason I can determine. When this occurs adn i notice it, I either put it in airplane mode to stop data and wifi, or shut it off.

I have seen the % rise, with no charging source applied both by turning it off, and by putting it in airplane mode. Is this true of all phones, I have no idea. Try it. blast the speaker playing music or a video, huge amp draw, work the phone hard for a few minutes, and take note of the battery %. Then turn your phone off entirely for 15 minutes. When you restart, it is that battery % higher than when you shut it off? Or the Same?

My ohone behaving ths way is evidence to me that it is using voltage alone as an estimate of battery state of charge, rather than actually counting Mah into and out of the battery.

As far as some vehicles doing this, well it would be easy for a modern vehicle to see how low voltage falls when cranking the engine. It might be guessing as to whether the battery has been discharged by other means, or if it is dropping that lower than some predetermined threshold simply simply from age.
Some battery cables on some vehicles will have Hall effect ring sensor on them fairly close to the battery, This can tell the computer how much current is flowing into or out of the battery, and when one knows how much amperage is flowing, and especially how much amperage is flowing at a given electrical pressure( voltage), then they can estimate not only the battery state of charge, and the health of the battery, when compared to that battery when it was newer.

This hall effect ring sensor counting amperage might Only be for minor MPG gains by deliberately keepng a battery charged to a low enough level that it can accept higher amperages when the voltage regulator asks for it, when coasting or braking.

Knowing how much amperage flows into or out of the battery at a certain voltage when charging, and how low voltage falls on a battery when discharging at a certain amperage rate, is Extremely enlightening, and more so with more experience with a particular battery as it ages.

Voltage alone can be extremely misleading without knowing the amperage flowing into ( for charging) or out of( when discharging)
For example if battery voltage falls to 11.0 just under the 15 amp load of the headlights, that is not a very healthy battery, or not a very large one, or not a fully charged battery, or some combination of all three, but if that same batter maintains 11 volts when dischargimg at a 100 amp rate feeding a starter motor of a big cold v8 engine, it is a pretty healthy and fairly large battery at a high state of charge.

On the charging side, a battery at 14.7v accepting 1 amp is close to fully charged, where a battery at 14.7v accepting 50 amps is nowhere near fully charged. Seeing voltage alone during charging can be considered almost entirely meaningless.

So anyone with a voltmeter that refreshes multiple times a second, and watches it when starting their engine, can easily seen when the voltage during starting is falling lower and lower each day more quickly than before. If it is cold or one was listening to the stereo for a while, or left the lights on, then a lower voltage during cranking should be expected, but if it is warm, nothing has been dischagring the battery, a lower voltage during cranking can raise warning bells, red lights and exclamation marks, indicating the battery is weak.

Each time the engine is started, can be considered a load test, if one is watching a fast refreshing voltmeter during it.

Exactly what voltage falling to during cranking should be alarming is variable, with each vehicle its engine and battery temperature, but I would say mid to low 9's and it might be time to consider replacement options, if an overnight charging does not yield significant improvement in the voltage held during cranking, or if the improvement does not last for a few morning starts after plugging in to recharge.

I just tested an 12 pound chinese AGM 18 amp hour capacity battery, starting my 2 week cold 5.2 liter v8 all by itself. While it barely started in warm ambient temps voltage maintained 8.73 or so during the 1800 watt load, which should have been closer to 1400 watts, which would be 140 amps at 10 volts.

My engine calls for a battery with a minimum of 550 CCA, I estimate the chinese 18AH AGM battery has 170CCA.
My real battery when new was rated for 930CCA and would stay ove 12.4v cranking my engine.

It is now 5+ years old with a thousand deep cycles on it and i fully charged will stay over 11 volts, if 65 of its 90Ah are removed it maintains over 8.9v at 60f.
If it fell to 8.9v startng the engine when fully charged at 60F, I would start battery shopping.

So vehicles which automatically indicate a weak battery, could simply have a voltage trigger, if voltage falls below x.x during cranking at temperature X, flash the weak battery warning. It could certainly take into consideration other factors, or it could be that simple.

The reason I posted it here because I was expecting everybody to tell me "They all do that!" aka every car from 2010 onwards have those smarts. Don't all auto manufacturers do this? I would never expect Honda to be on the cutting edge of technology. They were the last manufacturer to hang on to carburetors and mechanical distributors long after other leading manufacturers had moved to computerized ignition and fuel systems. I should know, I had "more than enough" experience on those Honda models!

Personally, I would go ahead and replace the battery. The 12.3v resting voltage indicates that it is on it's last legs. There are at least three potential problems that running the car with a bad/low battery can cause...
1. While a bad battery won't generally cause the alternator to fail (unless it is shorted), at some point in the not-to-distant future it could cause the alternator to not adequately produce power since Honda/Acura alternators are battery excited.
2. Your wife could get stranded when the battery fails completely, and, since the alternator is battery excited, a jump start won't work because the car won't continue to run for very long after disconnecting the jump battery.
3. A bad/low battery can take out the starter motor and/or starter solenoid. Ask me how I know this can happen. Acura starters are not cheap.

12.3v is common to see in cold areas in the winter and it's even more common in mild and hot temperatures in vehicles that have smart charging systems where they like to keep the battery undercharged like my previous Highlander.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
I was hoping, and assuming my smartphone battery was counting mAH into and out of the battery for the % reading screen.

Most "smart battery" systems do that to some degree, and it's called "Coulomb counting". A Coulomb is just a measure of electrical charge. It's more or less is proportional to the number of electrons.

There used to be recommendations with lithium battery devices to at least occasionally take them all the way down as a "calibration" step. I guess with better charge monitoring they don't necessarily need that any more, but they're still using charge in and charge out to figure out the state of a battery. I'm not sure how practical it is to do with a car's lead-acid battery since it's ideally kept near full charge all the time.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

Originally Posted by StevieC
12.3v is common to see in cold areas in the winter and it's even more common in mild and hot temperatures in vehicles that have smart charging systems where they like to keep the battery undercharged like my previous Highlander.

Where did you ever get the idea that car manufacturers are designing vehicle charging systems that purposely undercharge the battery? Undercharging a flooded cell lead acid battery is a bad idea and WILL result in a very short battery service life.
AT 6.5 years old, showing a 12.3v resting voltage (under 50% charge), and given the fact that the car's computer telling him that it's bad, IMO it's time to replace the battery, so I stand by my advice.

Originally Posted by wag123

Where did you ever get the idea that car manufacturers are designing vehicle charging systems that purposely undercharge the battery?

Where did ypu ever get the idea that the vehicles' voltage regulation is highly optimized to recharge the battery quickly to full then maintain it there, thus achieving maximum battery longevity?

Dp you also believe everybody else always has your best interest in mind?

Might as well say they also have designed the battery enclosure with insulation and ventilation so it is never exposed to engine heat.

The fact is that Automakers are not concerned whatso ever with battery longevity, other than perhapslasting any warranty period, if it includes the battery, an th ebeancounters have done the statistics and calculations as to what is most profitable.

Since on this forum it is often argued that thin oils are recommended nu Autom manufacturere in north America, purely and solely to eeeekk out the maximum possible mileage to meet CAFE standards, is it not obvious that the voltage regulation of a vehicle can also be tweeked to eeeek out a fractonal tiny improvement in MPG?

While it is not true of all vehicle, many vehicles of today will delibetely keep the battery at a low enough state of charge, by keeping the system voltage low, so that when one lets off the gas, or is braking, that the battery can accept high amperage frpm the alternator when the voltage regulator commands the alternator to make enough amperage to bring system voltaeg up into the high 14's.
A fully charged battery cannot accept much amperage at all, but a discharged battery can.

So Some, not all, automakers design the voltage regulation to keep the battery partially charged, so that it can accept high amperages from the alternator and possibly increase MPGs by a tiny fraction, the same tiny fraction that thinner oils might allow.

Ideally a battery would always be brought upto full charge at 14.5ish volts right after starting, held at 14.7v until absolutely fully charged, then voltage dropped to just high enough to prevent its discharging while driving. Some might say 14.2v is less abusive and recharges almost as fast. they are not wrong.

So Automakers are not concerned with battery longevity, they are concerned with not overcharging the battery. They are concerned with C.A.F.E.

And while trying to use the starting battery as an ineffective regenerative braking system is a horrendously unwise idea, in my opinion, it does work to some tiny percentage in vehicles which employ it. Unfortunately keeping the battery in a continually undercharged state is very bad for its longevity. Any fuel saved by doing so, is chewed up in the more required recycling of lead acid batteries, their transport to and from the recyclers and the energy used to do so. One could make ethanol comparisons here.

But heres the kicker. batteries still are lasting 2 or 3 years despite being in a chronic state of undercharge by deliberately underchrging them. This more than anything shows how little CCA a battery really needs to be able to start a modern fuel injected engine, and just how far battery capacity and CCA can degrade before it is truly in need of replacement.

My 1989 5.2 liter v8 engine calls for a group 24 and 550CCa minimum. I just started it on a tiny 12 pound 18Ah AGm battery I figure is 170CCA max. So if I were to stick with a group 24 550 CCA battery, It would have to decline to the 200CCA region before I'd really be in danger of not being able to start my engine. Cold temperatures would reveal the weakness sooner as the engine is harder to crank and a battery has less CCA at cold temperatures.

People should really monitor the voltage their vehicle allows. Not just atfter starting, but all the time. If one is seeing 12.7v going down the road, it is not because the alternator cannot keep up with the DC loads, it is because the voltage regulator is telling the alternator to not do much if anything at that point in time. When i get to drive my parents 2014 Stingray the battery voltage is often 12.7 doing 75mph on th freeway mid day, and only climbs higher when letting off the gas or braking. Does every GM vehicle do this since 2014, i have no IDea, I can say this vehicle doe sit, and maintaining 12.7v is not because the alternator is maxed out and cannot bring battery voltage any higher. But did't Gm avoid the gas guzzler tax by forcing 1 to 3 shifts, cylinder deactivation too? is it not obvious that there are also tiny MPG improvements to be had by taking all or much of the load off the alternator when the vehicle is in top gear cruising?

-------

As for the Columb counter. I actually have one, on my vehicle, counting Amphours out of and into my battery, while also displayng instant amperage into or out of the battery, as well as voltage. I have this becuase i often deeply cycle my battery and want to know the state of charge of my battery. What irritated the living snot out of me is my Vehicles stock voltage regulator, inside my engine computer, would seek 14.9v after starting, but then all too quickly revert to 13.7v after a few minutes, and when my battery is still Far far away from being fully charged. 2/3 more amps would flow into my battery at 14.7 compared to 13.7v, whether it was very discharged or 90% charged. I found this infuriating and ultimately intolerable.

I got so sick of the stock voltage regulator deciding 13.7v was just fine and dandy when my battery was still very discharged, I tricked the engine computer voltage regulator and installed a modified adjustable voltage regulator, and put a dial on my dashboard, next to my digital voltmeters and ammeter, so basically i can almost always recharge the battery as fast as possible, if i have enough engine rpm. this also depends on the loads like lights and blower motor which can suck up 33 amps of my alternator's output.

With a very depleted battery, i can remove almost all the load from teh alternator, by turning my voltage regulator way down to 12.2v. it will only accept 2 to 3 amps when the VR is set to 12.2, but if I crank it up to 14.7v and rev it to 2800 rpm, the same battery will accept over 90 amps. If I rev the engine with the alternator making 90 amps it it lowers rpm much faster compared to when the alternator is feeding the battery at a 2 to 3 amp rate. Some websites say that each 25 amps th alternator is forced to make requires one engine HP with all the losses through the belts an diodes.

Regarding my smartphone having a column counter, It does not. Does yours? I have No idea.

The fact that I was loading the phone battery heavily, then turned it off, and when I turned it back on to find several more % points tacked on to the battery, tell me the % is NOT determined by counting mAH into and out of the battery, but is guessing state of charge % by the voltage of the battery. When the load was entirely removed from teh batery the battery voltage rose. When I tuned the phone back on the phone saw this higher voltage, and told me the phone was not 33% like when i turned it off, but 39%, without ANY charging source having been attached to the phone. If it were columb counting when i turned the phoe back on it would have read 33%

The lead acid car battery works similarly, and this is why equating a voltage to a state of charge is highly unreliable end unwise, no matter how many people believe so or repeat it as unwavering and absolute fact. Voltage is NOT like a fuel gauge. Voltage is ONLY a reliable indicator of state of charge on a rested battery. A rested battery is a battery which has NOT seen any charging sources, or discharging loads for a long period of time. Voltages are not comparable from battery to battery, but only against the same battery at the same temperature when a fully charged resting voltage has been determined when the battery was new and fully charged.
I have a AGm battery wich rests fully charged at 13.16v a week off of the charging source. Having someone tell me 12.6v means the battery is fully charged is completely and totally laughable as if this battery were to read 12.62 rested it would be closer to 65% charged.

One time voltage readings are almost entirely meaningless as to state of health or state of charge. For any comparisons to be valid more data is required, and for any data to be accurate one needs to know when the last charging source was removed, how much parasitic load was on the battery since, and for how long, the temperature, and have previous readings on the same battery to make comparisons to. Only than can one make an accrurate guestimate as to state of health and state of charge which could be verified by an actual capacity test.

Actaul CCA tests and 20 hour capacity tests are so seldomly performed. the true CCA test is almost never done. The true 20 hour capacity test, requires loading a 100Ah battery for exactly 5 amps, and hopefully it lasts for 20 hours before voltage falls to 10.5v. Reserve capacity, how many minutes can the battery output 25 amps until voltage falls to a certain level? These are the only ways to actually test batteries, any other method is guessing, although the more data the better, and the programming and algorithms can be fairly accurate on some batteries, sometimes.

Whether the autoparts store you have your battery tested at, reveals the battery to be bad or good is likely as accurate as guessing whether they have that battery group size in stock and whether they would have to warrranty, it or not. If they have that size in stock, and your battery is from another AP store, the chances thit tests bad go way way up.

Making conclusions as to state of charge, or state of health, with just a few data points, can be overwhelmingly inaccurate.

Determining full charge requires an Ammeter while holding the AGM battery at mid 14 absorption votlages. Even a colummn counter is not 100% accurate in this regard. trust me, i have one, It is not all that accurate as it does not account for peukert effect or heating of the battery when charging at higher amperage rates.

Determining state of charge on a flooded battery is only able to be determined by a hydrometer, but there is a whole bunch of asterix involved in this too.

Educated guessing, well I would trust only those with experiece collecting data to have a remote chance of being somewhat accurate. Not any product which claims to do so.

But the thing is, batteries actually last 2 to 7 years despite all the Un ideal charging and aerage state of charge starting batteries are subjected to in vehicals A to Z. So it can be argued trying to achieve perfect recharge regiment for ideal battery longevity is a fools errand, and ther eis no arguing that they are only batteries, and only rented.

The length of that rental contract is either determined y the vehicle, or by the vehicle and owner, if the owner cres about actually regularly returnin the battery to a hier state of charge, often. he higher the average state of charge nd th ecooler the battery is kept, the longer it will last.

I am seeking maximum longevity from my batteries, as it requires no skill just to throw money at the problem/ replacng premature failures or blaing retailer or manufacturer for user abuse, whether intentional or not, intentionally ignorant or not.

While it is not true of all vehicle, many vehicles of today will delibetely keep the battery at a low enough state of charge, by keeping the system voltage low, so that when one lets off the gas, or is braking, that the battery can accept high amperage frpm the alternator when the voltage regulator commands the alternator to make enough amperage to bring system voltaeg up into the high 14's.
A fully charged battery cannot accept much amperage at all, but a discharged battery can.

I did NOT read your entire PhD thesis but the above paragraph jumped out at me. Are you telling me that the alternator "needs" to dump the excess charge in to battery aka "regeneration"? I do not believe that. The alternator is capable of generating as "little" charge as it wants and there is really no such thing as having to do anything with "excess" charge. There is no excess charge regardless how fast the alternator is turning.

Am I interpreting your paragraph wrongly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back