Car brands with poor warranty support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sopususer
In my experience the first and foremost important variable on warranty support hasn't necessarily been the manufacturer, but the dealer itself. There is wide variation in my area between shops of the same manufacturer. Some dealers are only about sales, others sales AND service. Since warranty work often pays less than private pay, I believe some dealers look for excuses not to do it, or to do as little as possible. I think the bad dealers often blame the manufacturer for denial of coverage when they actually don't want to fool with something. Whatever brand you choose, find a dealer who has great service reviews online and as a result I think you'll be fine with any manufacturer.

The dealership is your biggest enemy or ally. I wouldn't let one person story from the Internet push you one way or the other. All manufactures, yes even Toyota and Honda, produce cars with defects that require buyback.

While the situation/thread that you highlighted is unfortunate, it happens. Bad dealers can make the situation worse with their poor attitude. In that situation, call Ford Corporate, document your case, and if you aren't satisfied look into lemon law of your state.

In regards to the Edge, I had a 2012 2.0 FWD Limited. I had it for 2 years 36k miles. It was a competent family hauler, had no issues with it other than the MyFordtouch interface. They have since changes that to Sync 3 which works much better. If you go with AWD Edge, change the differential (PTU) fluid and every 30k, especially under severe conditions. That will ensure a long life.

My only dealer experience was 5 years ago. I bought a y/o Dodge Grand Caravan from Carmax. It had several little problems, the local Dodge/Jeep dealer went out of there way to make me happy.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
It's ALL ABOUT THE DEALER CAR!! Yes, I am shouting on this one...

Fixed that for ya
wink.gif

If you need to use the warranty/dealership to determine if a car is reliable or not, are you sure your purchasing the right vehicle?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Fixed that for ya
wink.gif

If you need to use the warranty/dealership to determine if a car is reliable or not, are you sure your purchasing the right vehicle?

Which car brand or model never needed any warranty work....ever?

All… Sometimes it's good to go back and read the OP's opening …
pretty normal to see mission creep after a thread runs for a while …

Like said, your first window into warranty world for your specific make/model is your service adviser at the dealership. Some go to bat for you right out of the gate, others take some escalating.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
In my nearly 50 years of car buying I say the dealer is everything.

My current GM dealership is terrible.

My FCA dealership is amazing and would do anything to retain your business.

I have had great relationships with other dealers that had little to do with the brand sold there....

Agreed. The dealer can make or break the ownership experience.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Our family needs a new vehicle and currently I'm considering four or five different options. A 2019 Ford Edge all-wheel-drive was at the top of my list but after reading this thread I'm not so sure. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5121395/1. Is Ford the worst, or just one of many ? So let's hear it from people with first hand knowledge, which auto manufacturers have a poor track record when It comes to warranty repair ?

I would be reading Consumer Reports for that kind of info. Typically you need to pick the type of vehicle then look up the vehicle with the best frequency of repairs. Like a SUV or crossover or sedan or truck or sports car. The base for Consumer Reports is much larger than BITOG.

Some is the attitude of local dealer and the regional rep. And your skills at working and convincing others. Dealers have a small pot of money to use for customer sat issue. Like the car failed at 60,001 miles with a 60K warranty.

Consumer Reports has become a joke. To involved in politics than in years past and their reviews are based on a VERY small and outdate segment of the market. I have been called more than once and have found they try to steer you when asking your opinion.

Trophy Nissan in Mesquite: We don't do warranty repairs on Saturday. All we do is oil changes on Saturdays. This was said to me after I had already exhausted my supply of vacation days sitting at the dealership waiting for the car to be fixed....over and over and over.

The General Manager and I had a nice talk about 2 minutes after this revelation. 2 repairs later, while still on the lift, I traded the SOB on a Mazda.

In regard to warranty coverage, Nissan should've just authorized a new transmission, instead of insisting that the shop full of monkeys remove it and disassemble it, effectively making it worse. As for the rest of the repairs on the car, they tried to deny every one of them, but with 19,000 miles, they didn't have a leg to stand on. They'll push you, because they're paid to push you. Push back....harder.

Originally Posted by 007
Consumer Reports has become a joke. To involved in politics than in years past and their reviews are based on a VERY small and outdate segment of the market. I have been called more than once and have found they try to steer you when asking your opinion.

I have to 100% agree with you about Consumer Reports. An aunt got me a subscription for some holiday and after getting a couple I tried to cancel but they wouldn't do a refund. Totally useless information in them. They go right in the recycling bin as soon as the post office drops it off.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Fixed that for ya
wink.gif

Which car brand or model never needed any warranty work....ever?

I never said "ever". Heck even the dash was replaced by the PO of my car under a warranty recall.

I said "If you need to use the warranty/dealership to determine if a car is reliable or not, are you sure your purchasing the right vehicle?"
This means, your probably not purchasing the right car if a dealership's "experience" is how you determine what's dependable and what isn't.

Recently I was wondering if consumers ever take into consideration time for lost work, travel to and from the dealership, the times when the dealer is out of courtesy cars (and they need to get a ride from others) etc?
These frustrations take time and effort out of the customers day. Yet the consumers don't seem to mind as long as it's "covered by the warranty".
Does this not matter to anyone?
:dontknow:

Lost work? My dealer has always provided a loaner for any of my cars- including my 1995 E36/5. On top of that, with my CCA discount I usually pay the same or even somewhat less than any of the competent indie shops.
Warranty work? My E36/5 and F22 made one trip each for a warranty repair.
The only inconvenience is that I'm always tempted to buy an M Performance accessory when I pick up the car...

Originally Posted by MCompact
Lost work? My dealer has always provided a loaner for any of my cars- including my 1995 E36/5. On top of that, with my CCA discount I usually pay the same or even somewhat less than any of the competent indie shops.
It's all so terribly inconvenient...

You know I sometimes think that "bitog types" create their negative dealership experiences. Not to say that they're fabricated, but that their attitude from the jump sets the tone of their entire visit.

My VW store just checked out my 911 for free for a front end shimmy. I thought it was inner tie rods so I was going to let them have the job, (no tools) but it was front tire balance and a lose strut mount.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
It's all so terribly inconvenient...

You know I sometimes think that "bitog types" create their negative dealership experiences. Not to say that they're fabricated, but that their attitude from the jump sets the tone of their entire visit.

My VW store just checked out my 911 for free for a front end shimmy. I thought it was inner tie rods so I was going to let them have the job, (no tools) but it was front tire balance and a lose strut mount.

You are exactly right; for some here it's a bizarre badge of honor to be able to brag that their car has never seen the inside of a dealer's service department.

You are exactly right; for some here it's a bizarre badge of honor to be able to brag that their car has never seen the inside of a dealer's service department.

I'm one of them!
grin2.gif

Fortunately the dealers I use are excellent; the quality of service is first rate, the prices are reasonable, and there are no attempts to upsell unneeded work.
Life is SO hard...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Nonsense. On the whole most people relating $tealership horror stories are very reasonable people, but the shady clowns at the shop do everything possible to make it a fight or just have contempt for the customer no matter what.

When you see all the horror stories on the internet it's more than just a few isolated cases with these $tealerships.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back