Car battery shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent several days trying to figure out what battery to put in my '79 Coupe DeVille (group #78 side post). I was leaning towards an AC Delco, but no one sells the darned things. Found a local dealer that could order one, but wanted around $120.00 for a 5yr battery. The guy had no idea who made them, and looked at me kinda funny when I asked (I believe Johnson Controls?). Didn't he get the memo?

Anyway, I gave up on that and hit a few chain stores. Advance (Autocraft Titanium 84/mo @ $95), Autozone (Duralast Gold 84/mo @ $95), and Walmart (Everstart MAXX 84/mo @ $75), and O'Reilly's (SuperStart Extreme 84/mo @ $95). Didn't bother with Sears.

From what searching I could find (mostly BITOG), I found that Johnson Controls makes many of the Advance, AZ and Walmart batteries (and Delcos?). The O'Reilly brand is made by East Penn (had the guy check to confirm). I told the O'Reilly clerk that Walmart had the equivalent battery at $75, and he said they could match the price. So I got the O'Reilly SuperStart Extreme 3yr/84 mo at $75, specs out at 800cca and 940 ca. The O'Reilly's have just come to my area, and it's nice to have have another choice. I was unfamiliar with the East Penn brand, but read a lot of good comments here at BITOG.

Thats good!! We usually use interstate or the Everstrt maxx. The plus to the Ever start is that no matter where your at there is a walmar near by and they all carry batteries. Make warranty much easier

You will be fine with your choice. Note, that the car is a 79 model so it does not need the best available battery.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
The plus to the Ever start is that no matter where your at there is a walmar near by and they all carry batteries. Make warranty much easier

They're also the only place to buy a battery at 11:30pm....

The batteries in the Wal-Marts in this region are made by Exide. I'm not a real big fan of Exide batteries, but at 11:30pm, one cannot be choosy.

Pep Boys sells AC Delco (or used to) and they are indeed made by Johnson Controls and look identical (except for the labels) to the Johnson Controls batteries sold under other brand names, like Duralast.

Ever starts over here are johnson controls. It's my understanding exide stopped making walmarts bats a few years ago

Originally Posted By: Rumble
I've spent several days trying to figure out what battery to put in my '79 Coupe DeVille (group #78 side post). I was leaning towards an AC Delco, but no one sells the darned things. Found a local dealer that could order one, but wanted around $120.00 for a 5yr battery. The guy had no idea who made them, and looked at me kinda funny when I asked (I believe Johnson Controls?). Didn't he get the memo?

Anyway, I gave up on that and hit a few chain stores. Advance (Autocraft Titanium 84/mo @ $95), Autozone (Duralast Gold 84/mo @ $95), and Walmart (Everstart MAXX 84/mo @ $75), and O'Reilly's (SuperStart Extreme 84/mo @ $95). Didn't bother with Sears.

Is this an infrequently-driven car? If it is, then its probably worth your consideration to look at something like an Optima. Yes, they're stupid expensive, but they're great for rarely driven cars because they have an incredibly low self-discharge rate. In infrequent use, you might get 7-8 or even more years out of an Optima. Plus its sealed so you don't get the acidic vapors corroding the terminals and other things nearby like you do with conventional batteries.

You can do well with lots of other options for a lot less money- just thought I'd toss that one out there too. I've had an Optima in my '69 for many years now, and am very happy. Never hesitates to fire right up after sitting for weeks/months at a time, never needs a float charger. I've tried them in daily drivers too, and its not really worth the money. They don't corrode, but then they really don't last all that much longer than conventional batteries either. Different story in a rarely driven and/or collectible car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]the diehard golds and platinums at sears repeatedly last 5-6 years in my cars, others have not - including Optima

I would have gone with a DieHard Platinum last go 'round except for the heft (at least 11# MORE than the Red Top!), and price (almost $80.00 more than the Optima at Costco - OUCHIES!).

My last Red Top lasted 8+ years, and still had some juice left, but I did not want to chance the winter with it being weakened with age, and too many hours of stereo listening without the car running.

I believe they are BOTH manufactured by Johnson Controls??

The AcDelco in my sierra is the original from 02. They are made by JC good batteries.

In my other cars I have always replaced with Kirkland Costco batts, also made by JC and priced around 70 bucks which is a good price. Also no hassle 3 year warranty.

Couldn't give me An optima. The old versions were great but the newer bats are garbage and their warranty is garbage. A battery will go bad no matter what. A battery is only as good as it's warranty and availability of getting it warrantied. Interstate has 200,000 dealers nationwide. Whatever podunk town your in there is an interstate dealer there.

The process for optima to warranty a battery isn't consumer friendly at all. First the dealer must be given the oppertunity to revive the bat. This is a 24 hour process. Costco will send you to a distributor to get is replaced.....Good luck having one around.

AC Delco's are made by whomever gives the lowest bid.
the 5yr batteries are made overseas, usually Korea.
the 6 and 7 year are made usually in the USA, could be johnson controls at this time.
the 5yr delco should be no more than $75!

the duralast gold isn't what it's cracked up to be.. the silver is the better bargain.
I'm personally a huge fan of Deka's now. the optima's I have are still running, however, they are the older Optima's, not the JC made ones.

The plus to the Everstart is that no matter where your at there is a Walmart near by and they all carry batteries. Make warranty much easier

+1

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Rumble

Is this an infrequently-driven car? If it is, then its probably worth your consideration to look at something like an Optima. Yes, they're stupid expensive, but they're great for rarely driven cars because they have an incredibly low self-discharge rate. In infrequent use, you might get 7-8 or even more years out of an Optima. Plus its sealed so you don't get the acidic vapors corroding the terminals and other things nearby like you do with conventional batteries.

You can do well with lots of other options for a lot less money- just thought I'd toss that one out there too. I've had an Optima in my '69 for many years now, and am very happy. Never hesitates to fire right up after sitting for weeks/months at a time, never needs a float charger. I've tried them in daily drivers too, and its not really worth the money. They don't corrode, but then they really don't last all that much longer than conventional batteries either. Different story in a rarely driven and/or collectible car.

It's driven around 1400-1600 miles a year. The battery that was in the car was an Advance Autocraft Platinum, it lasted 7 years. I felt like the Optimas were a little too pricey, and I've read about some quality issues (have no personal experience with that though). I keep a battery maintenance charger on the car to keep it near to fully charged. There's been no corrosion issues in the past, but if that were to become a problem, I could put this battery in my truck and look into something else like an Optima.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]the diehard golds and platinums at sears repeatedly last 5-6 years in my cars, others have not - including Optima

I would have gone with a DieHard Platinum last go 'round except for the heft (at least 11# MORE than the Red Top!), and price (almost $80.00 more than the Optima at Costco - OUCHIES!).

My last Red Top lasted 8+ years, and still had some juice left, but I did not want to chance the winter with it being weakened with age, and too many hours of stereo listening without the car running.

I believe they are BOTH manufactured by Johnson Controls??

NO, die hard platinum is a rebadged Odyssey pc1500, made in the usa by ener-sys corporation.....best rated battery by CR for the last 3 years.....heavier because it has more lead, a GOOD thing!

I too, have heard of good things about WalMart batteries.

Unfortunately, I must use Optima in my Corvette, as the computer is right under the battery and a leaking battery can cost much $$$$. Corvettes "eat" batteries, I must use a battery tender anytime it sits for 3 or more days.

I usually buy my auto batteries at SAM'S CLUB or some other Wholesale Club (COSTCO or BJ'S), cheap and good warranty.

Couldn't give me An optima. The old versions were great but the newer bats are garbage and their warranty is garbage. A battery will go bad no matter what. A battery is only as good as it's warranty and availability of getting it warrantied. Interstate has 200,000 dealers nationwide. Whatever podunk town your in there is an interstate dealer there.

The process for optima to warranty a battery isn't consumer friendly at all. First the dealer must be given the oppertunity to revive the bat. This is a 24 hour process. Costco will send you to a distributor to get is replaced.....Good luck having one around.

Well then, maybe when this one finally pukes out I'll try a Braille, or Odessey.

I want the lighest, least expensive, AGM battery I can find (I did not special order the LIGHTEST, most stripped version of my car just to put more unnecessary weight back in!).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Unfortunately, I must use Optima in my Corvette, as the computer is right under the battery and a leaking battery can cost much $$$$.

Yes, even without the ECM being right under the batt. (the coolant overflow tank is there in mine!), I will put NOTHING but an AGM power source in my ride!!

Ever starts over here are johnson controls. It's my understanding exide stopped making walmarts bats a few years ago

Exide makes the Wal-Mart batteries sold in this region as of last month.

Wow, hard to understand, COSTCO is usually good with returns!

I bought my previous Exide AGM (Champion XLT warrented for 3 years 100% replacement and 108 months pro-rated) battery at SAM'S CLUB. They tested it and gave me money back (a percentage) when it was bad. It lasted 4 years 9 months in my Corvette, I never used a battery tender on it. Purchased Optima from them, as they stopped carrying Exide (SAM'S CLUB is owned by WalMart). Using a battery tender on this when it sits 3 days or more. Corvettes drain batteries and AGM batteries don't like to sit and drain. Optima has been in since Nov 2007 with no problems. Optima Red Top has a 4 year 100% replacement warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back