Car air fresheners: PSA

But it would smell like Irish Spring šŸ˜·
True story: We put an A/C evaporator in an elderly womanā€™s car. She came back a week or so later and blamed us for an awful smell in her car.
I walked out to the car with her (and her friend), opened the door and was gagging at the smell. First order of business was to check under the seats. I pulled a Pyrex dish from under the passenger seat and pulled back the foil on top to reveal what appeared to be a large ā€œPetri dishā€ of mold.
Her friend immediately blurted out: ā€œSee, I told you the mechanics didnā€™t steal your lasagna!ā€
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

IMHO the "air fresheners" only mask smells. I take pride in keeping my interior spotless. That being said, my 2016 Kia smelled like blue hair old lady perfume when I first bought it. I tried everything to get that smell out nothing worked so I broke down and got some of the febreeze vent clip airfresheners. They seemes to work, until the liquid ran out and bam back to the original blue hair smell. It took 1 year to get the smell out. Now my car just smells like leather. One of the biggest improvements was using an a/c condenser cleaning foam thru the drain tube and changing the CAF every 6 months (oem has activated charcoal.) The problems with odors is that every piece of fabric in the car absorbs them. The headliner, carpets, and seats all are oder magnets.

I use these in my truck. Mainly because I like the flag design. The kids use various cr@p in theirs, because their cars STINK! My wife says nothing in hers.

Attachments

• B56B80EF-B56E-4C14-8267-B019C6328521.jpeg
    B56B80EF-B56E-4C14-8267-B019C6328521.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 9
Hey Iā€™ve known this for a while but I just had a nice clean C class roll in the shop with this air freshener laying on the console. Look at what it did to the gloss black plastic in that console. Permanently damaged. Keep in mind itā€™s not just the brand pictured, most will do this.
Just wanted to share this in case you werenā€™t aware.
That doesn't look like damage from the air freshener but from their hands.

Odor Genie is my go-to. $4 at Home Depot and toss it under the seat. Lasts for a few months.

1637162902937.jpg

And I am not lazy about care cleanliness. Car is regularly washed, vacuumed, interior plastics cleaned with either Mothers VLR or Meguiars Interior Cleaner/Detailer. There is no eating or drinking anything allowed [other than water].

I just like the subtle smell of the odor genie.

I had one of these break/fall (The string let go) on the center console area of my 95 Rivera. It lifted the vinyl right off.

I had a work friend give it to me so I felt obligated to have it up for a little while. I don't use these anymore, but I do use Ozium when I detail someone else's car under the seat if it has some residual funk, or if I need to clean up a smokers car (Gross). Not everyone want to pay for the whole thing so sometimes you need to use shortcuts. The Ozium has some great results with a new cabin filter with a general wipe down of surfaces, and a cursory seat cleaning. It's not perfect though.

I'm partial to Morning Fresh, sometimes New Car Smell

Ozium helps refresh a used car

Vanilla/Royal Pine/Leather/Flag scents are the official air fresheners of my childhood riding in the back of a clapped out Panther platform car service to cover up musty smoke smell, because NYC car service :LOL:

Covers up all popular smokes, Newport, Kool, Black & Mild, Denoble, Avanti, even Swisher Sweets or Pall Mall šŸ¤£

My father was smart with his, we'd pull the seats and scrub the rubber floor of his '96 CVPI with Fabuloso or Mistolin šŸ‡µšŸ‡·

what type of shift knob is that
Itā€™s s factory installed knob on a late model Mercedes C300.
It's not really a shift knob. It's pretty common on a lot of Mercedes cars. It controls the infotainment system. You can write on it with your finger in some applications. In fact, there are TOO many ways to do things on Mercedes cars. There's this thing, and a round knob, and some buttons both here and on the steering wheel. It is just confusing there's so many ways to do the same thing....but shifting isn't one of them! (y)

If I take my through a tunnel car wash that offers a scent, I ask for light scent and usually pina colada. Many places just give you a wafer for air freshener now.

I don't use the tree stuff because I don't like any of the scents. The only ones I like is:

1639090783475.jpg

Back