Can't Reach Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Just take it to a local mechanic and be done with it

My friend who has one was asked by his mechanic after doing a tuneup not to bring it back.

Major suck job.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Use a ratchet strap on the hood to raise it up further for easier access? The hood prop only gives you about 30 degrees of working room.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Use a ratchet strap on the hood to raise it up further for easier access? The hood prop only gives you about 30 degrees of working room.
The hood isn't the problem, the firewall is in the way.

Rotating the engine is the GM recommended procedure. I have to do this with the Lumina. It's not too big of a deal once you've done it a couple of times.

I don't know how your Buick is laid out, but I'm going to assume the procedure is similar to my Lumina.

You unbolt the torque struts at the radiator support. On the underside of the torque strut there should be a cast in ear with a hole in it.

Stick a pry bar (a long one) in the torque strut bracket that's bolted onto the engine and pry the engine forward.

When the hole in the bottom of the strut lines up with the bracket on the radiator support, stick the bolt you removed previously through the bracket and strut to hold the engine in place.

It helps to do this on level ground with the transmission in neutral (or any gear but Park).

I don't pry the engine anymore. I bought one of these because I'm always having to access the back of the engine:

http://www.carid.com/images/lisle/automotive-tools/ls22550.jpg

They make a few different types of these tilt tools.

I feel your pain. Had to deal with the same thing in my Grand Am with the 3.4L. Those things are a b***h. I just felt around with my hands and eventually got it done. It's tough but doable. And I didn't unbolt anything.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
FWD platforms with "v" engines are generally stupid. I wish they weren't made.

I did plugs recently on my Honda Pilot, it was a bit of a reach, and I had to assemble the ratchet on top of the socket after slipping it over the spark plug... then remove it to pull them out... but it really wasn't that hard. Maybe 25% longer than doing the fronts, which were trivial.

Perhaps you should replace "generally stupid" with "stupid on vehicles made by companies that really disrepect their customers and dealer technicians."

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
You unbolt the torque struts at the radiator support. On the underside of the torque strut there should be a cast in ear with a hole in it.

You unbolt the struts at the engine instead of the radiator support. My mistake.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
FWD platforms with "v" engines are generally stupid. I wish they weren't made.

I did plugs recently on my Honda Pilot, it was a bit of a reach, and I had to assemble the ratchet on top of the socket after slipping it over the spark plug... then remove it to pull them out... but it really wasn't that hard. Maybe 25% longer than doing the fronts, which were trivial.

Perhaps you should replace "generally stupid" with "stupid on vehicles made by companies that really disrepect their customers and dealer technicians."

I forgot that since it was a Honda, it was magically amazing and wonderful...

Nope. Inline engines for FWD platforms for me. Never a concern or issue.

I will concede that V engines in general are a hassle. Some plugs even on pickup trucks are a hassle.

I had a Ford Areostar when the first came out in the '80s. It had the German 3.8L in it. The back 2 plugs you got from inside the van, the middle 2 from over the front wheels and the front two from the hood opening. Very difficult on all of them. And to make matters worse the engine had valves that needed adjusted every 20k or so.

Originally Posted By: Trav

IIRC you need to remove the coil pack on the rear of the engine, to get a little more room.

This.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

My friend who has one was asked by his mechanic after doing a tuneup not to bring it back.

Major suck job.

It's a bit of a pain, but not so much that I would turn future work away! That's just plain dumb- that or the guy doesn't have to worry about money...

I forgot that since it was a Honda, it was magically amazing and wonderful...

Nope. Inline engines for FWD platforms for me. Never a concern or issue.

I will concede that V engines in general are a hassle. Some plugs even on pickup trucks are a hassle.

Anything on a Honda or Toyota is automatically acceptable and great!

The spark plugs on my Focus are super easy! It's a sideways I4. It was a 20 minute job!

My father has a 2001 F350 gas V8. I think to change the rearmost two plugs, the cab has to come off ... or it needs a doghouse like a van. The engine is, quite literally, under the dash like a van.

Chrysler managed to make the plug change on an inline 6 hard. The rear plug on my Cherokee is super hard to get to with the coil rail.

You guys can make fun of Honda all you want. I'll be the one laughing every 100K when I change the plugs.

I also have a Dakota V6 that's easy to change the plugs on, but I didn't bring it up because it's not a transverse engine.

The real point is, don't buy new or used cars with obvious design defects, whoever makes it. Unfortunately the majority of new car buyers don't care, because they're not the ones who do the work.

The point about Honda and Toyota transverse v-6s is they are DOHC, not OHV like the 3.4L in the GM cars, which makes them easier to change the plugs. I'm willing to bet the newer GM DOHC V-6s are easier to change than an older OHV V-6, similar to Hondas/Toyota's.

But yea, it sure is nice having an inline 4. Plugs can be changed in minutes instead of hours.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You guys can make fun of Honda all you want. I'll be the one laughing every 100K when I change the plugs.

I also have a Dakota V6 that's easy to change the plugs on, but I didn't bring it up because it's not a transverse engine.

The real point is, don't buy new or used cars with obvious design defects, whoever makes it. Unfortunately the majority of new car buyers don't care, because they're not the ones who do the work.

Most vehicles use a 100K plug change interval now ... I'm not sure why you'd be laughing? Manically because you had to spend $1000 to have the timing belt changed?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The point about Honda and Toyota transverse v-6s is they are DOHC, not OHV like the 3.4L in the GM cars, which makes them easier to change the plugs. I'm willing to bet the newer GM DOHC V-6s are easier to change than an older OHV V-6, similar to Hondas/Toyota's.

But yea, it sure is nice having an inline 4. Plugs can be changed in minutes instead of hours.

I don't think DOHC is automatically easier to change plugs on. Look at Ford Taurus 3G and 4G, their Vulcan (pushrod) is easier to change rear plugs (with hands in the rear bank) than the Duratec (need to remove manifold).

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I don't think DOHC is automatically easier to change plugs on. Look at Ford Taurus 3G and 4G, their Vulcan (pushrod) is easier to change rear plugs (with hands in the rear bank) than the Duratec (need to remove manifold).

I had a '97 Taurus SHO with the V8. First plug change I took it too the dealer. Cost around $150 or so but also had some warranty work done.

After a few years I got so I could do it in about 1/2 hour. The surge tank for the intake was held together with rubber couplers so it all really came off easy. Of course I had already eliminated the surge tank stays and the EGR sensor.......

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Fair enough, but then you can say 4 bangers aren't automatically easier to change because some of them (Nissans), you have to remove the intake manifold as well to get at the plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back