Can’t quiet down a new PS pump

2013 Chevy Express 3500, 6.0l.

Just replaced the PS pump (AC Delco Reman) and hydroboost (AC Delco new) as they were both leaking. Due to some confusion in the various instructions I found, I did not properly bleed the system when I put it all back together. I missed the part about going lock to lock with the wheel before cranking it. I cranked it (not running it) a few times then ran it and went lock to lock with the wheel once it was running. Everything works great, no mechanical feedback or trouble as far as steering or braking goes. The problem I’m having is noise from the pump on turning or braking. When I press the brake, it makes the same PS pump noise as when I turn, I’m assuming because the hydroboost using the PS pump.

So I went back to the beginning and jacked it up and did 20 lock to lock cycles with the engine off, checking the fluid the whole time. Then put a vacuum on it and did 5 minutes each of center, right lock, left lock, and center. I checked the fluid again, still full with no bubbles. I repeated this process 2 times.

Then I started it and did 20 cycles lock to lock and pressed the brake several times with it running. Fluid still full, no bubbles or aeration.

I then reapplied the vacuum with the engine still running and repeated 5 minutes each of center, right lock, left lock, and center. I checked the fluid again, still full with no bubbles.

I reapplied vacuum and cycled lock to lock 20 times and pressed the brake under vacuum the whole time. Once again, fluid level stayed the same and no bubbles or aeration. At no point in this process did I ever lose vacuum, indicating that I have no leaks or loose connections.

After doing all of this, the noise level from the pump is the same. Is it possible that there’s still air in there after that much bleeding? Does a hydroboost system normally make more noise than a vacuum booster system? I’m thinking now that I got a bad pump. I don’t care about the noise, I care about the trouble that pump noise usually indicates. I’ve read good things about Lucas - is it worth putting it in the system instead of going through the install process again?

Indeed you may have a bad rebuild.

You may not get many positive responses about any Lucas product in this forum as most(including myself) think that most of their products are nothing more than Snake Oil.

Is your P/S system an electric system or hydraulic system?
If it's hydraulic system, try Honda Genuine P/S Fluid.
I have quieted down-a-many GM P/S systems with Honda P/S Fluid.

I would say you got a bad rebuild. Many of the reman pumps I have used over the years have been noisy. Exchange it and don't bother with snake oils.
Is this the one? Brand new OE $142 without the 5% discount, this is the one I would recommend.

I don’t mind the noise if it’s just noise. I mind the noise if it means that the pump is going to grenade and leave me stranded.

This is the pump I got at $70:

The new one is 3x the price at $215:

I specifically use AC Delco parts to avoid junk but I guess that didn’t help this time if I still got a bad pump. But like I said, if it’s just noise, I can live with it.

Indeed you may have a bad rebuild.

You may not get many positive responses about any Lucas product in this forum as most(including myself) think that most of their products are nothing more than Snake Oil.

Is your P/S system an electric system or hydraulic system?
If it's hydraulic system, try Honda Genuine P/S Fluid.
I have quieted down-a-many GM P/S systems with Honda P/S Fluid.

I was hoping that wasn’t the case but stuff happens I guess.

It’s a hydraulic pump, driven off the serpentine belt. I hadn’t heard of Honda PS fluid, is it different/superior?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's kind of an old method used my others to quiet down the "Morning Sickness" of GM P/S system noises.
Honda Genuine(may be/could be) the best P/S fluid. I can't answer as to why it quiets down other P/S system noises. And I can't say that it is 100% effective in every pump. However, I use/have used it strictly in any hydraulic P/S unit.

I am actually using Honda Genuine in the P/S unit in the Firebird in my signature for the last, Oh, 25 yrs or so. And this is the OE pump. Have used it in other 80s, 90s, 00s hydraulic P/S units as well. Good Stuff however, IDK that this is your particular issue. As mentioned, it could just be a crappy rebuild.

You did not damage the pump. It's making noise because of the quality of the internal parts. There are times that different fluids can help, but if you are using the correct fluid, there is nothing much you can do. Live with it and see if it quiets down, or replace it.

Noise may or may not predict lifespan. There are many well made hydraulic pumps that make noise and last a lifetime. I don't know for sure whether your pump will last, but the noise is indicative of corners cut.

You did not damage the pump. It's making noise because of the quality of the internal parts. There are times that different fluids can help, but if you are using the correct fluid, there is nothing much you can do. Live with it and see if it quiets down, or replace it.

Noise may or may not predict lifespan. There are many well made hydraulic pumps that make noise and last a lifetime. I don't know for sure whether your pump will last, but the noise is indicative of corners cut.

I bought an AC Delco reman because I was trying to avoid the cut corners of Cardone and part store junk. Looks like I lost that gamble.

Speaking of gambles, I don't want to gamble that this pump won't let me down and leave me without brakes in an emergency, which I assume will be more expensive than just fixing this the right way now. I don't want to spend the extra money, but I'm thinking that starting over with a brand new pump and fluid again is probably the safest bet. I'm about to drive across the country, I really don't want to spend the whole trip wondering when or if this reman pump is going to fail.

Somebody remans P/S pumps for AC Delco, they don’t do it themselves. Wouldn’t be surprised if Cardone actually rebuilds them! The only way to dodge P/S pump roulette is buy a new one, or try 2 or 3 remans before you get a good one.

Somebody remans P/S pumps for AC Delco, they don’t do it themselves. Wouldn’t be surprised if Cardone actually rebuilds them! The only way to dodge P/S pump roulette is buy a new one, or try 2 or 3 remans before you get a good one.

Yeah I thought that AC Delco remaned them. Oh well. I don't have the time or patience to keep trying pumps until I get a good one, then worry about how long it will last. I'm going to order a new one and be done with it.

I looked at the wrong pump, its for a truck not a van. Anyway it is bad parts fitment inside that is causing the noise, how long it will last is anybody's guess.
Cardone remans are terrible but their new stuff is Chinese and they have nothing to do with the manufacture of them just box them, they are better in every way than the remans.
Personally for my own vehicle if it is a keeper I would cry once and buy a new OE pump and put it to bed. I hate doing jobs more than once and hate chasing down replacements under warranty even more. JM2C

Cardone or BBB Industries does a lot of them. I’ve sworn off remans after getting a bad Cardone from a parts house. Ironically, the reman that worked was a Chinese reman from O’Reilly.

Ac Delco does a lot of re-boxing.

Unless it is listed as the GM OE Equipment part I don't consider the Delco part any better than the other aftermarket stuff.

Also, verify the suction hose is sealed well. I am not familiar with this system, but the pump pulls fluid in. If air can leak in as well on the input side it will make noise.

It’s frustrating dealing with this and getting junk that has a quality name on it. I really expect more from AC Delco. I did a warranty refund on it and I’m sending it back to RockAuto. Just ordered a brand new ACDelco pump and new pressure/return hoses (they’re 7 years/170k miles old). If I’m going to do this pain in the a$$ job again I’m just going to do it all. I’ll post an update when it’s done.

I went through so much defective remans I rather bite the bullet and buy brand new.

If the old pump isn't making noise but just leaking, you can buy a reseal kit for less than $20. The pump sits in the reservoir and is sealed with a large o-ring in front and 3 smaller ones in the back.

Sounds like you got a dud. I'd repair or replace it before the cold weather sets in. You might also be able to get some $$ for your time for the defective part. I've been reimbursed a few times for defective parts over the years.

I went through so much defective remans I rather bite the bullet and buy brand new.

If the old pump isn't making noise but just leaking, you can buy a reseal kit for less than $20. The pump sits in the reservoir and is sealed with a large o-ring in front and 3 smaller ones in the back.

Yeah I’m done with remans now. The old pump wasn’t making noise, just leaking from every possible seal. In hindsight I should have just resealed it but I already sent the core back. I have a brand new one on the way, lesson learned.

Sounds like you got a dud. I'd repair or replace it before the cold weather sets in. You might also be able to get some $$ for your time for the defective part. I've been reimbursed a few times for defective parts over the years.

I’ve already ordered a new one. I hadn’t thought about trying to get a labor reimbursement but it’s only fair. I’ll email RA and see what they say.

Back