Can’t explain to the elderly that they don’t need an oil change after 8mo/23 miles.

Originally posted on reddit but I thought you guys would find this amusing.

ej4lrgdeeab61.jpg

I can understand it, and I'm sure a shop wouldn't turn away business so they will probably encourage it. I have older relatives and I've serviced their vehicles when they haven't needed it. Why? Because they insisted it be done, and I'd rather do it for them where they won't get ripped off, and not having to worry about it will give them less stress. If my grandpa says to change the oil on his compact tractor when it has gained a solid 3 hours of use over the season, it's worth the $20 to me to keep him happy.

😄
Yeah that funny!
But you know, it even took me a couple of years after joining BITOG in 2005 and reading through 1000's of UOAs in order to get away from the 3mo/3K mi OCIs. Now instead of changing my oil/filter 4X/yr, I only do it 2X w/1 filter.

😄
Yeah that funny!
But you know, it even took me a couple of years after joining BITOG in 2005 and reading through 1000's of UOAs in order to get away from the 3mo/3K mi OCIs. Now instead of changing my oil/filter 4X/yr, I only do it 2X w/1 filter.
yeah since I've been here I have gone from 3k religiously to 8-15k normally. Think of all the oil and money I've saved. ;) thanks bitog I think I'll do a donation now that I think about it.

I can understand it, and I'm sure a shop wouldn't turn away business so they will probably encourage it. I have older relatives and I've serviced their vehicles when they haven't needed it. Why? Because they insisted it be done, and I'd rather do it for them where they won't get ripped off, and not having to worry about it will give them less stress. If my grandpa says to change the oil on his compact tractor when it has gained a solid 3 hours of use over the season, it's worth the $20 to me to keep him happy.
Actually a friend of the family took her car in for an oil change and when the dealership's service adviser pulled up her service records he told her that she didn't really need the work done and if she insisted on spending money that day, she should go somewhere for a nice lunch.

The thing that always irritates me is you try to explain to folks like this that the hardest thing on your car is not driving it enough and just taking short trips. The cars never get up to temperature and are always going through battery's or have dead battery's.

Looking at the oil coming out I put that in my car!
It would really be a shame if he didn't catch the oil with another container to be used elsewhere. It's probably going into the catch can with other waste oil I'd imagine.

When I bought my Jeep from the original owner it came with records of every single thing since new. The oil changes were crazy.

It would really be a shame if he didn't catch the oil with another container to be used elsewhere. It's probably going into the catch can with other waste oil I'd imagine.
USED OIL !!! The horror of it.

Id bet 100.00 that oil is fine for reuse.

Back