Cancer really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone is doing well.. I haven't been frequenting BITOG or any forum for that matter.... too busy with school.

My wife's Dad died 11 years ago when he was 57 from colon cancer. It was just plain awful. I can't emphasize how important it is to have yourself screened especially if cancer runs in your family. You do not want to suffer like my Father-in-law did.

On the other hand,my mom's mom had colon cancer 10 years ago when she was 79. She was able to beat it,and has had no complications since. That's one incredible woman!

My Dad's dad died of lung cancer. It's unreal how many people have had cancer in my family and my wife's family.

Yeah, cancer sucks. To say the least. It's [censored] tenacious. My grandpa and uncle both died of lung cancer (lifelong smokers, but still) I'm convinced that it's because of all the chemicals we're exposed to. Seriously, cancer wasn't nearly as big of a problem 100 years ago. What a [censored] way to die.

My prayers go out to all those that have or are dealing with a family member who has cancer.

I would think that the cancer rate is so high due to a couple of things. I don't think the human life span has changed any ..but the life expectancy has. There are still those who die in apparent good health in their 40's and 50's ..and those who die in good health in their 90's. We had a mother of my daughter's teammate ride with us to a game (it was a few years ago). She was 40 ..attractively lean and appeared in perfect health. Very handsome woman. She died of a massive heart attack 3 months later.
21.gif

The big change, aside from any increase in "free radicals", is that we've never had so many older people at one time.

Lost my mom to brain cancer when I was 16. We never will know what caused it, if anything. She lived 2 years from her initial diagnosis. Long enough to be relatively at peace with what was happening, and finish up what she wanted to do in life. Two surgeries, several clinical trials, and a lot of chemo kept her around that long. At the end, they couldn't do a third surgery, because the cancer was so infused in her brain. That was a horrible two years of watching helplessly and waiting for the inevitable.

But, like I said, at least we knew it was coming and could prepare for it.

My MIL went the same why ..except that it was inoperable. The only reason that they found it was that she hit a construction sign and they thought she was drunk. While they were X-Raying her, she had a seizure and they ordered more tests. They found a tumor in her lung and it had apparently metastasized to her brain. Radiation treatments and steroids reduced the size of the brain tumor for a good bit. They managed to retain her quality of life until very close to the end. She was only 51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back