Canadians, what is your longer OCI in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last oil change interval I did on my wife's car was from Oct 2004 to Nov 2005, and she did 18,668km during that time.

In my mom's 2001 Golf, I haven't changed her oil since July 2004, she's still under 10,000km though. I plan on changing it in July 2006.

In my 98 Corvette I go at least 13,000km between oil changes now, regardless of the season. I'm at 13,000km on the oil right now actually, and unless the weather gets a bit warmer, it'll be a little while longer before I get the chance to change the oil in it.

I changed my oil last week after 17,650 km. I was using Amsoil 0W30 Series 2000. The level was down about 1/3 quart since last December.
I am again using Amsoil 0W30 Series 2000, but have installed the EA oil filter this time.

For the sake of "interest", what would be the average and extremes for trip durations during the colder months of the year (temp range?).

The talk of condensation and it's effects on oil...amazing.

Good topic/question.

hmmm, seems like people don't drive too much.

how about those daily drive cars? like for work, groceries, school, errand cars.. anyone under longer than 5k mile OCI in winter?

1998 Neon dohc 178000kms.
2001 Neon sohc 74000kms.

Both run daily 2 - 25 km trips.
Both run Mobil 1 5w-30 at 6 month/12,000kms OCI.

No problem.

I do 10,000km city and 20,000km hiway OCI's on my fleet of taxis year-round using Esso XD3 synthetic. I've done UOA's in summer and winter and there doesn't sem to be much difference in the results. But my cars don't do many short trips. Personally I don't believe that condensation and fuel wash-down are big issues in modern engines.

I agree.

A free flowing, healthy, PCV system will vent out crankcase moisture very quickly once the engine is at operating temperature.

A quick check for crankcase humidity is to open the oil filler cap. Moisture will form an emulsion there resembling a chocolate milkshake.

[ December 22, 2005, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: nobadges ]

I favor the coffee milkshake ..a NuWingland favorite.
smile.gif
The oil appears not unlike a Frape~ (or Frap as it's called in some dialects)

Great advice NOBADGES, sometimes changing brands of oil can effect emulsion build up. A friend of mine had this problem on a ford explorer using PENNZOIL, he change to NAPA (VALVOLINE) and never had the problem again.

Curious Kid, in the Toronto area, our daily highs in the winter time average right around the freezing mark and the night time lows are around 20F typically. But we do get our share of cold snaps where it goes below 0F (lowest I've seen was -15F)

I remember seeing an emulsion through the filler hole on two of our vehicles. A 240 dl that would mostly take my mother to work a few miles away during the week, and then the car that was given to me while I was in high school - '77 tech., 1.6L carb'ed iron block and head...took some time to get some heat blowing in the cab (thermostat was fine).
rolleyes.gif

I mentioned the need to take longer trips to help control moisture in the oil as well as to help keep the battery charged, but not everyone was developing a concern for their equipment at the time.

The PCV system on the 240 had a blocked vac line that I since replaced, and the older car's (chevette) system was functioning as "normal".

Yes, somethings have improved (more refined?) since the days gone by. Still very interesting though.

[ December 22, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Curious Kid ]

My '98 Pontiac with the 3.4Lt engine get fresh oil just before the onset of the -below 0*C-, usually late November. Then gets new oil again in late March. Average is 6k-8k km. Presently running Esso XD-3 and its doing weel with the infamous piston slap...
J

Thanks Pat.

This is all interesting stuff. I'm just trying to put pieces together to see a bigger picture.

Thanks to everyone who contributes and supports this site.
smile.gif

Have a happy and safe holiday!

I typically change oil as 2k2 does. A dry weekend in November I change the oil in everything, then change it out in March when the weather makes it comfortable to be prone in the driveway again. Mileage is anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 miles. One vehicle uses the much bemoaned Valvoline AC 10w30, the other vehicle uses Mobil 1 10w30.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back