Canadian Tire - New Oil Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the latest CT flyer, they indicate they have 2 new (for us) filter offerings:

Rotella oil filters, which they say are 'for diesel applications', not sure there are any gas applications;

'OE Plus' oil filters, which they say are good up to 10k miles (16k km)….sound familiar? Yup, they will be re-branded Fram TG filters, about $2 cheaper. Their regular 'Motomaster' filters are made by Fram, but are bit lower quality than EG filters.

Thing that is ironic about this last offering is that about 15-20 years ago, CT offered 'Formula 1' filters, which were a step above their 'Motomaster' filters, and again, were re-badged Fram TG filters. Then they got rid of them. I got one for like $1.75 for my 2002 Cavalier years ago when they cleared them out.

Weird that they are 'trying this again'....exact same game plan!

They will hoodwink some of their "loyal" customers.

I haven't bought an oil filter from CT in over 15 years. They are a total rip off with their Fram Ultra prices. The only reason I would see people buy oil filters from them is if they don't know about alternatives like Rockauto or Napa/Car quest.

I haven't seen one in person, so I just assumed Fram was making this for CT - their regular Motomaster filters have been re-painted Frams for years.

Regardless of what they use, I don't envision very many fleet operators picking these over a Donaldson/Baldwin/Hastings/Fleetgard filter.

Perhaps these filters are the urban cowboy diesel market equivalent of the Rotella "Gasoline Truck/SUV" oil.

I have never bought filters at CT. Cheapest offering was the quaker state junk followed by CT brand and Fram EG at 7.75 each...i just get proselects at Napa for 4$ or less each or get OEMs from the dealership for 6-7$ a piece. Doesnt leave me wanting from CT. I feel like alot of their offerings are overpriced. Glad they are increasing their filter options though.

Rotella oil filters have been around for a while. Much like
Quaker State and Pennzoil filters, they are made by either Fram
or Purolator. Since cars and light trucks are now 'diesel' optioned,
some may fit other auto applications. Check cross reference.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by addyguy
Rotella oil filters,
'OE Plus' oil filters,

Rotella = Purolator. I would avoid those.
OE Plus - Champion Labs. These are good filters.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have never bought filters at CT. Cheapest offering was the quaker state junk followed by CT brand and Fram EG at 7.75 each...i just get proselects at Napa for 4$ or less each or get OEMs from the dealership for 6-7$ a piece. Doesnt leave me wanting from CT. I feel like alot of their offerings are overpriced. Glad they are increasing their filter options though.

^^^ This works for me as well.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Rotella = Purolator. I would avoid those.
OE Plus - Champion Labs. These are good filters.

I think the OE Plus filters are made by Fram, they even use the Fram part numbers (for example, I looked up the filter for my Civic and on the picture of the filter it shows PH7317 on the side, that's a Fram number)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back