Canadian Motomaster 10W30 Diesel Engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here use Canadian Tire 10W30 Motomaster oil in their diesel engines?

I want to use something better than 15W40, that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I live in central BC, Canada and temps can get down to -35C during the winter.

As I recall, the 10wt rating should give a pour point of somewhere around -36C. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I tried to get the specs on the oil, but was not able to glean much info. It could be that I am using the wrong search phrases/words.

If someone could fill me in on the oil specs, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

mariner

MotoMaster 10W-30 is a PCMO not a HDEO, consiquently it's a light 30wt with a light DI package not suitable for a diesel application.
If you want a diesel oil with excellent extreme cold performance properties go with a synthetic 0W-30 like Mobil Delvac Elite 222 or Petro-Canada Duron 0W-30. These are proper heavyduty deisel 30wt oils but with outstanding cold flow properties.

What he said. CT's diesel oils are pretty mediocre and pretty expensive. If I were you, get Rotella 5W-40, its a very, very good synthetic that will handle any diesel like a champ and has great winter properties.

If not that, other good choices are Rotella T5 0W-30 you can find sometimes. Lighter oil, even better cold properties, synthetic blend is usually a good price.

Petro-Canada Duron XL also has a 0W-30 synthetic blend that is a fantastic oil, good price and rugged specs.

But that 10W-30 is a pretty basic oil and you'll be paying alot for it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
MotoMaster 10W-30 is a PCMO not a HDEO, consiquently it's a light 30wt with a light DI package not suitable for a diesel application.
If you want a diesel oil with excellent extreme cold performance properties go with a synthetic 0W-30 like Mobil Delvac Elite 222 or Petro-Canada Duron 0W-30. These are proper heavyduty deisel 30wt oils but with outstanding cold flow properties.

Are you saying this oil is NOT rated for a Diesel application?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/EngineOil/DieselOil/PRDOVR~0287922P/MotoMaster+Diesel+Motor+Oil.jsp?locale=en

Last edited:
Don't pay too much attention to pour point or viscosity range charts, if you want the lowest cold start wear factors and want your battery or starter motor to have an easy life in winter, choose the lowest W viscosity oil that is approved or recommended for your engine.
0/40 or 0/30's tend to be more expensive than 5/40 or 5/30's because they are normally HC or fully synthetic oils, so in economic terms a 5W grade would be best and a one grade difference is not very significant in engine wear factor terms.
Most oils are designed to be OK for both petrol and diesel engines, BUT in the longer term it is slightly better to use a diesel only oil with a high detergent (Calcium) content as it will do a better job of sludge prevention if you have longish OCI's.

Last edited:
The oil concerned does have a diesel label and approvals, BUT it is not from a major brand company, so I would recommend getting a VOA done to see if it is any good. You often get what you pay for and this oil is a real cheap one. Spending slightly more for a major brand 5/40 or 5/30 might be a good long term investment.

There IS at least one 10w30 HDEO available, Motorcraft brand, made by conoco phillips. I have delivered it to Ford dealerships and a Ford testing facility in 55 gal barrels so I'm not sure if you can go to the store and buy it. I don't know all the details of it but the newer Fords can use it, I don't know if its acceptable for other vehicles or not. But the label clearly stated that it was a 10w30 for diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: T4R
There IS at least one 10w30 HDEO available, Motorcraft brand, made by conoco phillips. I have delivered it to Ford dealerships and a Ford testing facility in 55 gal barrels so I'm not sure if you can go to the store and buy it. I don't know all the details of it but the newer Fords can use it, I don't know if its acceptable for other vehicles or not. But the label clearly stated that it was a 10w30 for diesel engines.

It should be available at most Ford dealerships, my local dealer uses it in almost all of of its diesel oil changes, 7.3/6.0/6.4/6.7.

There are several other choices available in the 10w-30 variety, but one might have to shop around a bit more.

Originally Posted By: workforfun

I want to use something better than 15W40, that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I live in central BC, Canada and temps can get down to -35C during the winter.

As I recall, the 10wt rating should give a pour point of somewhere around -36C. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I tried to get the specs on the oil, but was not able to glean much info. It could be that I am using the wrong search phrases/words.

Thanks in advance.

mariner

It would be much easier to help if you defined what "better" means in your context.

I presume you want a thinner fluid that will assist in cold starts in your area, perhaps contribute to higher fuel economy, and provide acceptable wear protection, all with lesser cost?

Dino 10w-30 HDEO or perhaps a semi-syn. There are decent Canadian brands, and some imports.

If the product you inquire about is indeed diesel rated, why not give it a try and do a few UOAs to confirm.

At face value, I see nothing wrong with the oil you suggest.

Thanks in advance.

mariner

Here is the MSDS:

http://msds.canadiantire.ca/OpenRepositoryFile.asp?s=106970&v=4

from this you can deduce that it is Shell, like most of CT's products. I am not sure where the "not from a major brand company" comment is based on. CT, as far as I recall CT has always used rebranded majors (i.e. Shell, Imperial, etc.).

Going over to Shell with this info, leads you to this:

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-12.pdf

Obviously not Shell's flag ship Rotella rebranded unfortunately but still clearly a diesel oil with a healthy TBN and not a light PCMO.

To answer the other part of your question if I have ever used it in a diesel... no. I have always used Rotella in diesels I have owned (none currently). I would not hesitate to use this lower tier Fleet oil though if cost was a factor as you allude to if it met the required specs for your engine (which you haven't published nor the make / model diesel... Duramax? Powerstroke? Cummins? so I can't even guess). Just some advice... Canadian Tire regularily puts their diesel oil on sale including the Rotella product... so if you catch a sale the Rotella is a good price. I use the 15w40 Rotella frequently in my GTO and so I pay attention to the Rotella sales. If you get to America, the T5 is at WalMart in the 10w30 version for $12.97 (3.78L jug). I just bought two yesterday in Kalispell, MT.

Last edited:
So,

Diesel Engine Service: Shell Fleet is recommended for most naturally aspirated and high output turbocharged and after- cooled diesel engines including the latest low-emission engine designs. This oil is suitable for high output, heavy duty diesels such as Cummins, Caterpillar Detroit Diesel, Navistar and Mack. Shell Fleet multigrades have been upgraded to API CH-4 and can be used where API CG-4, CF-4 and CF are recommended.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on my question. Sorry I didn't include the engines (IH6.9 and Cummins 5.9) or the reasons for the question.

Basically, I wanted to try a thinner semi synthetic and thought the 10W30 would suffice for my needs - primarily for better starting in cold weather. I would prefer to use a 0W30, but being a pensioner, money is an issue. The cost I have seen for 0W30 is around $43 for a 5 litre jug or $130 for a 20 litre pail. Incidently, a 5 litre jug of 10W30 costs $21 and I need twelve litres for an oil change. So I would buy three jugs to have a few litres left over for leaks etc.

I suspected that the oil would be fairly good quality and would be ok to use for my needs - having just routine usage and no heavy use.

Thanks again for the feedback - it is much appreciated.

Have you priced Co-Op DMO SL 0W40?
DMO SL 5W30 would be even cheaper but not good for summer use.

Charlie

Basically, I wanted to try a thinner semi synthetic and thought the 10W30 would suffice for my needs

The Canadian Tire Motormaster 10w30 you asked about is not semi-synthetic.

I thought that a 10W30 would automatically be a semi-synthetic.

I have just checked out the specs for the Co-Op D-MO Gold SL winter lube - wow!
0W40
Kin. @ 40C 112
Kin. @ 100C 15.7
Vis. Index 150
Pour point -57C
Ash 0.97
Zinc 825
TBN 8.5
CPI CJ-4

How expensive is this oil for a 20 litre pail ?

I don't know the price. If there is a Co-Op store near you...
But if you can get the older "non-Gold" version it has higher TBN and Zn. It is for pre 2007 engines.

Charlie

workforfun, you don't list your oil drain intervals. It is a money saver to buy better oil and run it longer. A diesel 5W-40 or 0W-40 synthetic run for its full safe service life will end up costing you less than a cheap oil run a short time. These 40 weights will also be safe in your engines in hot weather next summer if they aren't due for change before then.

I have never considered Motomaster (CT) oil particularly well priced.
How do they standup against Walmart house brand HDEO's?

Walmart offer several grades here inc. Farm, fleet and Owner Operator.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on my question. Sorry I didn't include the engines (IH6.9 and Cummins 5.9) or the reasons for the question.

Basically, I wanted to try a thinner semi synthetic and thought the 10W30 would suffice for my needs - primarily for better starting in cold weather. I would prefer to use a 0W30, but being a pensioner, money is an issue. The cost I have seen for 0W30 is around $43 for a 5 litre jug or $130 for a 20 litre pail. Incidently, a 5 litre jug of 10W30 costs $21 and I need twelve litres for an oil change. So I would buy three jugs to have a few litres left over for leaks etc.

I suspected that the oil would be fairly good quality and would be ok to use for my needs - having just routine usage and no heavy use.

Thanks again for the feedback - it is much appreciated.

I also have a Ford 6.9L and use (and have used for many years) 10W30 Rotella. I now use the semi-syn T5 Rotella 10W30 for its improved cold start characteristics vs the standard Rotella. I'm not terribly brand conscious and would use the Delvac 10W30 or the Chevron DELO 10W30, but neither is readily available to me here. I have been tempted by a Mystic 10W30 HDEO at the local Rural King farm store. It looks to be a good oil on paper (its a Citgo product) but the fact that Citgo is Venezualan-owned and the price is only slightly less that the Rotella, I don't use it.

Without seeing more detailed info on the oil you are thinking about, I can't comment on it's specifically, but I can tell you that the 6.9L will like it from the viscosity standpoint. At one point, 10W30 was the preferred viscosity recommendation for the 6.9L but that was later changed to 15W40. My opinion is that most 6.9Ls don't "need" 15W40 unless they are operated in very hot climates or very hard. Or, if they are very tired and "loose." I don't notice a difference in oil consumption between 15W40 vs 10W30. Some people claim to... I reserve judgement.

My honest opinion is that most of the off-the-shelf HDEOs are of similar quality within their classes and price ranges. I am generally a little more leery of house brands, just because you can't always find out much about them. For that reason, I would work pretty hard to get specs on a particular house brand oil before using it. Most likely is OK to good quality but being pedantic is part of being a Bitoger. ( : < )

The T5 is currently running $13 US per gallon at Walmart and I think it's a very good deal at that price. I have stocked up. Oil has done nothing but go up.

Originally Posted By: expat
Are you saying this oil is NOT rated for a Diesel application?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/EngineOil/DieselOil/PRDOVR~0287922P/MotoMaster+Diesel+Motor+Oil.jsp?locale=en

Back to the original topic, it certainly is an HDEO. The price is unremarkable unless you find it on sale. You can get Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10w-30 for less than that, and that's at the most inflated retail price I could find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back