Canadian gas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think is the best gas in Canada? (I am in Toronto)

I have read that Shell, Petrocan, and Sunoco are "Top Tier" gasolines....I use 87 in my corolla and Sunoco 94 in my sport bike...

I get terrible fuel mileage with sunoco but great mileage with shell and petro. I mostly use petro though so I can rack up points and trade them in on some fancy and super expensive petro oil.

Today, Shell and Esso are my preferences, especially for my carb'd vehicles.
When Sunoco went to that 10% ethanol blend back in the 90's, it practically halved my mpg. Yeah, halved. I barely managed to get 150miles out of a tank of gas in my truck (versus the typical 240miles per fill.

Petro Canada fuels also get sucked back quicker, so I suspect they've got some higher ethanol content as well so I stay away from them as well.

My efi vehicles, couldn't care less what goes in the tank, mpg is always consistent from straight gasoline to the blended fuels you get at UPI stations.

Alex.

I use Petro-Canada gas. I've found Esso fuel to be nothing special and typically more expensive than Shell or Petro-Canada gas in most circumstances, so I buy Petro-Canada as first choice and Shell as second.

If I had a cardlock card (I do for Petro-Canada) I would be buying Chevron.

Esso's terminals supply E-10 gas out of Toronto, Oakville, Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon. All terminal locations also have regular gasoline.
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/files/Products_Industrial_Wholesale/IW_rack_prices.pdf

Shell supplies E-10 gas out of Toronto, Oakville, Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon. Saskatoon only has E-10 regular.
http://www.shell.ca/home/page/ca-en/pricing/rack_pricing/app_rack_pricing.html

Petro-Canada supplies E-10 out of Montreal, Toronto, Oakville, Regina and Saskatoon. They also supply mid-grade E-5 out of Montreal, Regina and Saskatoon as well as mid-grade E-10 out of Montreal. Saskatoon and Oakville do not have regular or mid-grade without ethanol.
http://www.online.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/rack/rck-prc-rslts.aspx?Prod=1&Freq=1

There is a 1 cent price premium for E-10 over regular gasoline at the wholesale level.

As regular fuel, E-10 required by law in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Co-op, Husky, Mohawk and Sunoco use ethanol blended regular exclusively, and Sunoco actually owns an ethanol plant in Sarnia.

E-10 has a 3-4% penalty in energy content, but the thing is it is also being used in place of MTBE as an oxygenate since MTBE was found to pollute ground water. It was the next best thing. Doesn't hurt that governments see it as an environmental and economic aid policy tool either.

If your car runs like [censored] on it, check your fuel filter. On an older carbed vehicle, you might be running it a touch lean, too.

I need to find out if Parkland Industries or Chevron's facilities produce E-10 gas. Co-op's refinery in Regina obviously would due to producing for the Saskatchewan market.

As well, the pricing above reflects unbranded terminal rack. This means that all of this gas is basically the same until it gets put in underground tanks and treated with the brand's additives. I am not positive on this but I have heard the treat rate is something like 1 US gallon in 8000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back