Can you put intake cleaner through a turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put intake cleaner through a turbo? Without damaging it? I don't see the turbo being an issue, maybe if there where some sensors downstream of it.

i have read that cool water or otherwise on a hot turbo blade can destroy it, an expensive ops! for sure. good luck + let us know!!

For the most part, turbochargers are reasonably robust and can handle a modest amount of spray cleaner without difficulty. Remember that some past turbo systems used to draw from the carburetor! Today, people often use water/methanol injection into the inlet of a non intercooled turbo system.

Cleaning a compressor wheel is reasonably easy with careful spraying and can be helpful if it's really contaminated.

I've done the CRC DI engine cleaner treatment on both our cars. The turbo is about 6" away from the entry point of the cleaner on these engines. They both didn't care and run fine. One has had 40k on it since its first treatment, and its still running like new. Both have had spark plugs replaced since then, no physical damage or strange deposits on them.

Not saying all turbos will tolerate it, but this is a pretty extreme case. Steer clear of the MAF sensor, IAT / MAP shouldn't care about the cleaner much, if at all.

Did a Focus ST a few weeks ago, no ill effects either, but that has a traditional turbo on the rear of the engine design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
i have read that cool water or otherwise on a hot turbo blade can destroy it, an expensive ops! for sure. good luck + let us know!!

The compressor side of a turbocharger is not the 'hot' side. Water injection is used all the time in industry for cleaning and margin restoration.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Can you put intake cleaner through a turbo? Without damaging it? I don't see the turbo being an issue, maybe if there where some sensors downstream of it.

From my limited experience cleaners should enter the intake at the intake manifold rather than before the turbo.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by benjy

The compressor side of a turbocharger is not the 'hot' side. Water injection is used all the time in industry for cleaning and margin restoration.

True, but isn't the doser usually located between the turbo and the intake manifold rather than before the turbo?

Last edited:
I've never heard of a turbo being damaged because its only entering the "cold" side but the problem is with the effectiveness of the cleaner because if you inject it pre-turbo it has to go through all the hot and cold side plumbing and likely most of it will collect in the intercooler. Most of the liquid will never reach the intake manifold or the engine. If you are truly trying to clean your intake/valves/combustion chamber and not the compressor wheel of the turbo then I'd be putting the cleaner on via vacuum line right on the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I've never heard of a turbo being damaged because its only entering the "cold" side but the problem is with the effectiveness of the cleaner because if you inject it pre-turbo it has to go through all the hot and cold side plumbing and likely most of it will collect in the intercooler. Most of the liquid will never reach the intake manifold or the engine. If you are truly trying to clean your intake/valves/combustion chamber and not the compressor wheel of the turbo then I'd be putting the cleaner on via vacuum line right on the intake manifold.

That's a good point that I neglected to mention. Spraying cleaner into the turbo inlet will move the contaminates into the intercooler. It's a good idea to take the intercooler off, or at least disconnect it, and clean it too.

If the compressor wheel is dirty enough to need cleaning, so is the intercooler.

Last edited:
Ford Motor Company specifically forbids intake cleaners on the ecoboost turbo's. There is a process but it's a guided pro process not a do it yourself option. That is my understanding.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Why do you think you need this? Assuming it's for the 2017 Jetta.

I figured there's probably some gunk on the intake valves. Since it's DI. I'm guessing it's gonna have to be walnut blasted at some point.

The probable bad is the debris that may do damage on the exhaust side. Other than that I don't know actually.

If the motor is at idle the turbine shouldn't be spinning fast enough for there to be any issues.

I'd be most concerned about most of the cleaner not making to the engine. It will have to pass through the intake plumbing including the intercooler, I can see a lot of the cleaner pooling in the intercooler.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
CRC claims you can.

I personally don't.

I thought they said not to do this and to inject right at the throttle body intake (ie., past the turbo)?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Ford Motor Company specifically forbids intake cleaners on the ecoboost turbo's. There is a process but it's a guided pro process not a do it yourself option. That is my understanding.

I was getting code ( bank 1 efficiency too low, or something like that) and check engine light on, on my 2016 f150 ecoboost, run can of CRC intake cleaner through the vaccume line, wasn't expecting much, but the light is off and after clearing code from ECU it never came back. It's been 2months since I've done it.
I'm really surprised that something actually works as advertised

Eric

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

Post your understanding so all can see and read.

I'd like to see and read it.

I have an Ecoboost so I'd like know what Ford says

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back