Can you help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have two older Frantz filters both different in small ways 1 having the restricter cast in the outlet and the other has none at all also the cans are diff. lengths .What size is the new orfics I will make my own with orfice drill if some one can tell me the size also can one be used on may auto-trans in my M/H its a 1990 Chevy turbo450 ? 3 speed, if so what size would the orfic be and where would be the best place to hook it to.
Jim

Jim,

The Frantz with the base that has the restrictor in the outlet is the normal base. The Frantz base with the restrictor drilled out, can only be used for coolant, transmission and diesel fuel filtering. To make it suitable for use as an engine oil filter, you need to buy a brass restrictor fitting from wefilterit.com. The size of the restrictor orfice is 0.40.

If you decide not to use the drilled out restrictor base for the engine, and want to install it in the transmisson line, you can buy an in-line fitting to adapt the filter for transmission use. Again www.wefilterit.com
This is the method used most for installing the transmission bypass filter, but I prefer a Magnafine in-line filter that is used for 30K and replaced, simple to install, inexpensive, go here:
http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

The two different lengths on the cannister should not make a difference. I am familiar with that, but it was never a concern.
(Many years ago a cannister was 1/32nd or 64ths bigger around, different mfg. source)

Vetteman thanks,I also have a orange plastic insert seems to be ment to be used over the paper roll before can is put on base can you confirm if this is right.Is there a right place to put the return line in the oil pan?Our unit has a oil cooler could I use that to install the filter and omit use of the oil pan.Is the orfic better in the inlet or return line.
Jim

Jim, I just sent you an email with a pic of where the orange ring goes.

cheers.gif

quote:

The Frantz with the base that has the restrictor in the outlet is the normal base. The Frantz base with the restrictor drilled out, can only be used for coolant, transmission and diesel fuel filtering. To make it suitable for use as an engine oil filter, you need to buy a brass restrictor fitting from wefilterit.com. The size of the restrictor orfice is 0.40.

Tony, I think Frantz has made some changes on the bases. The old base has the cast-in restrictor (.061) in the outlet (return) hole in the base. The inlet is full size, (drilled out).
You can drill out the cast-in return orifice and then install the new brass restrictor fitting in the INLET (center) port on the filter base. The engine oil restrictor is 1/16" diameter, which is .061 and not .040. The new standard bases come with both holes full open, (.155") then you just add the restrictor for engine oil.
 -

-

The transmission fitting that they sell is a syphon type fitting that goes inline on the pressure line going to the radiator tranny cooler. With this setup I believe you use the same filter but with both inlet and outlet wide open, but don't hold me to it. The siphon fitting has a builtin small orifice inside it. I'm not quite sure how it works, but it seems to.
You can click here, then click on part number 513 to take a look at the tranny adaptor fitting.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back