Can you have 2 phones with the same number?

I replaced both my cellphones recently and they work fine but I don't like the larger size compared to my previous 5 year old phones. Too bulky in my pocket. Thinking of getting something like a Palm Phone for day to day use. Can one number be used on 2 phones?

I replaced both my cellphones recently and they work fine but I don't like the larger size compared to my previous 5 year old phones. Too bulky in my pocket. Thinking of getting something like a Palm Phone for day to day use. Can one number be used on 2 phones?
Yes. Get a Google Voice number and have it forward to your two cell phones (and/or any other phone numbers of your choosing) and they will ring simultaneously. Give out your Google Voice number instead of your individual cell phone numbers to those people who you want to be able to ring both phones, or, you can port one of your mobile phone numbers into Google Voice and forward to the other cell phone number. You can also port your Google Voice number out to a mobile service provider if you need/want to do this later. Additionally, you can also transfer your Google Voice number from one Google Account to another.

Last edited:
I would want to keep my number which I've had over 20 years.
Port it to Google Voice and you will never lose it. You will have to obtain another phone number from your cell phone provider for your phone if you do this. You can port it back out to a cell phone provider later if you need/want to.

I know in Europe they have whats called twin card to do just this, ask your provider if they have the same thing in the US. I had 2 vodaphone sim cards with the same number.

I know in Europe they have whats called twin card to do just this, ask your provider if they have the same thing in the US. I had 2 vodaphone sim cards with the same number.

I think this one is for 2 numbers in 1 phone (I can be wrong). The 2 SIMs will attach to 2 different phone numbers in the same physical phone.
So, some people have 2 different numbers say for personal and work, they can use the same physical phone for those.

OP wants 2 phone with 1 number. I am not sure if you can clone a SIM card, I think there is a way.
Then you can put the 2 SIM card into 2 different phones, those 2 phones suppose to have the same number.
Now, I am not sure how they manage which phone will ring, though.

See the difference?

I think this one is for 2 numbers in 1 phone (I can be wrong). The 2 SIMs will attach to 2 different phone numbers in the same physical phone.
So, some people have 2 different numbers say for personal and work, they can use the same physical phone for those.

OP wants 2 phone with 1 number. I am not sure if you can clone a SIM card, I think there is a way.
Then you can put the 2 SIM card into 2 different phones, those 2 phones suppose to have the same number.
Now, I am not sure how they manage which phone will ring, though.

See the difference?
No it is the same number in 2 phones, you can only use one phone at a time and the other is turned off, no swapping cards just turning the phone you want to use on and the other off.

when i got my new older smart phone G4 that used a smaller sim card i asked the ATT guy if i could keep the bigger sim in my old Razr + get the newer smaller one as well NADA was the reply, BUT i am on a very cheep pay as you go plan

Don't know about Google phone, heard of it but never tried it out.

I had thought about doing this, just swapping SIM cards between two phones. Small one for carrying around, big one for, well, when I want a bigger phone. Ultimately I downsized my phone and have been content with what an iPhone 6S is for size--that may change as my eyesight ages out. Then again, I'm usually not far from a computer so it's no real big thing to grab my iPad (home) or a laptop (home or work). If I'm out and about and want to look something up while in say Walmart, I just suffer with the indignity of a small screen. It kinda cuts down on impulse buying I think.

You can forward calls for the phone that is not in use (first phone) to the one that you are carrying (second phone). However when you make an outgoing call it will have the caller ID of the second phone. Using a VOIP service on the second phone you can spoof any caller ID you want, such as your first phone. Native calls + VOIP app is basically two numbers on one phone.

Then if you were to port your number to the VOIP service they can forward calls to two phones simultaneously. First one to answer gets the call. These can be VOIP calls or native cell numbers.

I've been using voip.ms mostly because it's not Google. Though it does cost a small amount of money and is not beginner simple.

you can only use one phone at a time and the other is turned off, no swapping cards just turning the phone you want to use on and the other off.
I don't think anyone in the US offers this. What happens if you forget and leave both phones on?

If someone calls the number, both phones ring? And if both are answered it would be like a party line? Why isn't that possible?
The first phone registered on the network rings the other does nothing. The network knows the difference by the serial number first connected.
To use the other phone just turn the connected one off and the other one on, both cards are identical.

Although the above is not answering his question about;
One number on Two phones,

I do know that you can have Two Numbers on one phone. My iPhone SE (2nd gen) is capable of this.
One SIM card for one number and an “eSIM” internal device for the other number. I’m sure the more expensive iPhones also have this capability.

The first phone registered on the network rings the other does nothing. The network knows the difference by the serial number first connected.
To use the other phone just turn the connected one off and the other one on, both cards are identical.
Do any US-based mobile carriers allow this ? Years ago, you could do this with Verizon although they didn't encourage it. Back then, when you got a new phone, you could "self-register" it by dialing, what "*227" and then enter your phone number. This would assign that phone/phone # to their network. You could go back and forth with different phones. The other phone(s) had to be OFF when you do this though. Once VZW moved to SIM cards, this stopped working.

Back