Can use this instead of EP90

Status
Not open for further replies.
sick.gif
That smell!

Is it the base oil that smell bad? Because synth gear oil doesn't smell bad but semi-synth or mineral are aweful. Same goes for engine oils in fact...

Are you capable of getting this version? It doesn't smell that awful compared to some gear oils.

rooflessVW, that doesn't look very enticing to clean up at all...

b7iT1SN.jpg

I can only get the S2-A Version.
I actually just got a message back from a shop who sell all types of lubricants made by a company called Repsol ( reputable Spanish oil company ) and they seem to have a EP-90 GL5 gear oil in stock but only in 5 Liter bottles, i only need 1.1 so i'll see what i do...

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Just another thing i've noticed that most EP-90 Gear lubes tend to have a KV @ 100 of about 17 to 19, meanwhile Shell Spirax S2A has a KV or 14.7, is this a problem?

The spec'ed pre-2000 SAE EP 90 was split into two categories of :-
a) Current day J306 SAE EP 90 , equivalent to AGMA 4EP gear oil or ISO 150 gear oil ,and
b) Current day J306 SAE EP 110, equivalent to AGMA 5EP gear oil or ISO 220 gear oil.
As said above, SAE 80W90 is thinner than a SAE 90.

Is this a problem?
Yes, if it's use regularly for track/drag race.
No, if your manual transmission is operated as gentle as a traditional torque converter type auto transmission at relatively low engine rpm range.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Just another thing i've noticed that most EP-90 Gear lubes tend to have a KV @ 100 of about 17 to 19, meanwhile Shell Spirax S2A has a KV or 14.7, is this a problem?

The spec'ed pre-2000 SAE EP 90 was split into two categories of :-
a) Current day J306 SAE EP 90 , equivalent to AGMA 4EP gear oil or ISO 150 gear oil ,and
b) Current day J306 SAE EP 110, equivalent to AGMA 5EP gear oil or ISO 220 gear oil.
As said above, SAE 80W90 is thinner than a SAE 90.

Is this a problem?
Yes, if it's use regularly for track/drag race.
No, if your manual transmission is operated as gentle as a traditional torque converter type auto transmission at relatively low engine rpm range.

I'm not putting this is my transmission , i'm putting it in the Differential, and no my car doesn't do any racing or track days or drag racing..., the manual gearbox specs SAE 80 and i'm going for Castrol 80 GL-4 Manual transmission fluid.
But yes i understand what you're saying

Go ahead and use 80w90 GL-5

Whenever I would work on almost any Japanese truck, the oil specified was SAE 90. Every repair shop would either use 80w90 conventional or 75w90 synthetic, whatever the repair shop had in stock.

It never caused any problem.

UPDATE : Ended up getting some Castrol EPX 90 GL-5 Oil , thankfully the guy at the other end of the counter knew a lot too about oils and understood just what i needed.

UPDATE : Ended up getting some Castrol EPX 90 GL-5 Oil , thankfully the guy at the other end of the counter knew a lot too about oils and understood just what i needed.

Mind sharing why is the counter guy not selling you 80W90 instead?

Many years ago when the SAE viscosity classifications came out many gear oils were made with low quality base oils. Now a days all reputable manufactures use at least Grp I base oils. And almost all 90 grades can also be qualified as 80W-90. 80W-90 do not contain viscosity modifiers so they will not shear out of grade. In practice 80W-90 and 90 are the same thing.

I went for the EP90 rather than the 80W90 because EP90s tend to be thicker , for example the Shell Spirax i was thinking of using had 14.7 cst kv , this Castrol EPX E90 has 17.0 cst kv , and also the old pre 1998 90 grade gear oils could have up to 24.0 cst kv, that's why i have also been recommended to use 75W-110.

Because i asked for EP90? I guess you're saying that 80w90 would be better? well it's too late now and i'm not returning it.

Nope.
In gear trains, I always prefer thick side of a spec or one SAE viscosity grade higher for longevity of oil life and components life.
I suppose you've made a smart choice in EP90 that makes the differential happy.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back