Can the manufacturer require a specific oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your help guys.

I have a car that is under warranty still.

My question is: Can car manufacturers require that you use a specific brand or fluid for your car?

The vehicle in question is a 2009 VW Jetta. Throughout the manual they specify the usage of VW Oil, Transmission fluid(actually says go to service shop), radiator coolant, etc...

I thought there was a regulation in place that prevented manufacturers from requiring a specific fluid to maintain warranty coverage. And if they required a specific fluid it was required to be supplied free of charge.

I am not talking about VW 50x.xx spec oil. I am talking about the requirement of actual VW branded fluid.

Thank you for your help.

Can you provide the actual text from the manual? That doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know that I've looked at a 2009 owner's manual.

There is and there isn't. The Magnussen Moss act (pardon my spelling) that the warranty can't be voided by use of specific fluids.

But, most carmakers/dealers get around that by specing a fluid, then making it's change interval longer than the warranty.

If you have to use VW branded fluid/oil and no other fluid/oil is acceptable then VW has to provide said fluid/oil for free. Odds are you have to use a fluid/oil meeting VW specs.

The name of the Law is slipping my mind, but it has been discussed before.

yes they can reccomend and require a specific weight and service rating. Brand they cannot. Read up on the magnuson moss act

Ask your dealer and if the dealer sticks with this position, my recommendation is that you assure him that you will not buy another vehicle from his dealership. Based on the last numbers I heard, VW needs every sale it can get!

They can require you to use a VW approved oil, or a specific grade etc which may only be made by VW. Read the wording careful as they pay people to make it read like you have no other choice. Someone should come along shortly who has the manual, or you could point us to an online manual, or maybe type out the part your unsure of in the manual (exact wording/spelling etc.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you have to use VW branded fluid/oil and no other fluid/oil is acceptable then VW has to provide said fluid/oil for free. Odds are you have to use a fluid/oil meeting VW specs.

The name of the Law is slipping my mind, but it has been discussed before.

Correct...

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

Originally Posted By: Brien
I need your help guys.

I have a car that is under warranty still.

My question is: Can car manufacturers require that you use a specific brand or fluid for your car?

The vehicle in question is a 2009 VW Jetta. Throughout the manual they specify the usage of VW Oil, Transmission fluid(actually says go to service shop), radiator coolant, etc...

I thought there was a regulation in place that prevented manufacturers from requiring a specific fluid to maintain warranty coverage. And if they required a specific fluid it was required to be supplied free of charge.

I am not talking about VW 50x.xx spec oil. I am talking about the requirement of actual VW branded fluid.

Thank you for your help.

Others have already told you the answer. If they require you use VW brand fluids ONLY then they have to provide them free of charge under the Magnuson-Moss act. Car mfg's in the US can not legally make you use OEM fluids and parts under this law( MMA )unless there is no cost to you( ie; free maintenance and of course warranty work ).

However, car mfg's CAN tell you that fluids must meet a certain specification or rating( their own like Chrysler's ATF+4 tranny fluid or oil meeting GM6094M and so on ). Most every car mfg has their own fluid spec's they require the aftermarket fluid you use to meet. Actually,under the MMA the fluid must only meet or exceed the spec performance requirements BUT it does NOT have to actually be certified as meeting it by the car mfg who puts the spec out. They can't require that. Car mfg's can require you use API certified oils and they can tell you what weight oil you must run. Car mfg's can tell you how often to do maintenance as well.

The MMA gives both sides some rights. Car mfg's however try to get around the MMA all the time. They do so by creating a spec and keeping the details secret thus no aftermarket company can reproduce it. Chrysler did this with ATF+4 for years before they finally had to give it up. Chrysler never said you must only use our ATF+4 just that you must use an ATF+4 fluid. The fact only Chrysler had it didn't matter. It is a loop hole in the MMA.

I tried to look up your owner's manual for the 09 Jetta online to see exactly what it says but VW is one of those cheap car mfg's that tries to charge you to download it. You should ppost up what your manual says and we can help you out better.

Last edited:
Alright, you guys were right.

It doesn't say you have to use only VW branded fluids. It is worded to seem like they are saying that, but rereading it it is just a recommendation tied together with a requirement of VW specifications.

Thank you very much for you help. I just wanted to make sure I didn't void warranty or anything :)

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV966-Sy...9602&sr=8-1

That is the best oil I have found for my 2.5L. I was running M1 0w40 my last change, and I can tell a difference when going to the Valvoline. I get much less lifter tap and it feels smoother. My engine was loud on GC, so I'm personally not a fan - though it is excellent oil. I like the Castrol 5w40 as well, but if given a choice of the two I would go with the Valvoline. If price is an issue, Castrol can usually be found on the relatively cheap. I'll be sticking with Valvoline, especially since it's free shipping at Amazon.

Just one person's experience - YMMV. I have an 09 JSW with 35,742 on it. I rack up the miles and the Valvoline makes me smile.

Hmm. 5w-40 is a diesel weight. Is that a Diesel oil?

If so, could I just use the Delvac 1 that I already have?

I think VW/Audi learned their lessons of evading the M-M act last round. Spec'ing fluids that were effectively only distributed through them and not available OTC. It cost them extended warranties. After their stumble with marketing to the "when all else fails, consult the instructions" US population, suddenly loads of "approved" lubricants were available. Not that they weren't there before (probably) but no one assured that there was ample supply of approved lubricants for the consumer to choose from ..leaving them to the wilderness of "oil is oil, right?".

The 2.5L seems like a nice engine. My wife's 2008 Rabbit has the 2.5L, and I can't wait until it is out of warranty and I can start adding performance parts to it! I run Mobil 0w40 in it and sleep well at night knowing it will have a long and happy life.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back