can someone here fix some electronic boxes?

I have like 3 of these. The pdf is the schematic. should be very easy, but I"ve never repaired electronic stuff.

Attachments

• msd.jpg
    msd.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 64
  • msd6a_02.pdf
    110.9 KB · Views: 69
Why should it be very easy? I repair electronics frequently but if the test/repair person doesn't have a drop-in vehicle they work in, just setting the test jig up is likely to be FAR more work than they're worth.

What's the approximate value of a used/working unit?

If you can identify which part failed, yourself, which is possibly (odds are fair) but not definitely the same for all "like 3"(?) units, things get much easier and cost effective. Are there any visual clues? Any known common failure points?

The more of the investigative work you DIY, the more likely it is to fall into the realm of cost effective. Then again, you have "like 3" that failed, how long was their lifespan and is it really an (otherwise) solid design that is worth getting back to the same working state that resulted in "like 3" (lol) failing, or is it time to cut losses?

It could be a 3 cent transistor that failed. It could take 30 seconds to solder a new one in. It could take several hours of test jig prep and testing to find out that the 3 cent transistor failed.

Last edited:
It used to be you could send in your MSD box and they would fix it with all the new upgrades. If it cost more than $75 they wouldn't fix it. Give them a call.

I've never used the place, but I talked to a few racers that had positive things to say.

In the past if I had an issue with an MSD part, I'd just head over to the MSD tent in the pits, and invariably get things taken care of. Maybe MSD themselves can/will help you out.

Do you have the jpgs to which the doc you attached refers? The ones that show the part locations. If so, open it up and look if anything looks burned and if the fusible link is open or not.

Why should it be very easy? I repair electronics frequently but if the test/repair person doesn't have a drop-in vehicle they work in, just setting the test jig up is likely to be FAR more work than they're worth.
Why should it be easy? Because you have the schematic and experience. A vehicle to test this? No. All you need is a 12 volt battery and a coil. Tested them all the time this way to see if they sparked.

I've never used the place, but I talked to a few racers that had positive things to say.

In the past if I had an issue with an MSD part, I'd just head over to the MSD tent in the pits, and invariably get things taken care of. Maybe MSD themselves can/will help you out.
I think MSD got sold and I've heard it went down from there.

Should not be that difficult to repair.

I had the 6AL on my 5.0 Mustang a long time ago.

Why should it be easy? Because you have the schematic and experience. A vehicle to test this? No. All you need is a 12 volt battery and a coil. Tested them all the time this way to see if they sparked.

No. A 12V battery and a coil tells you nothing about performance at frequency or at engine temperature.

Sure you can cowboy-pretend you fixed it, but that's not the same as working in the environment it's meant to be in and it may not even reveal the fault if it is subject to temperature.

I do repair things. You want someone else to do it. I think I have the upper ground here. ;)

Maybe you're right, that you'd be satisfied with the result from a battery and 12V applied. I wouldn't be comfortable bothering and have it come back because that wasn't an applicable test environment, and if it's just let's look at a schematic, go ahead and post it and then we can suggest tests for you to do there, on a working vehicle which I already suggested as useful...

Dave9,

What type of electronic equipment do you repair ?

Last edited:
I think I have the upper ground here. ;)

if it's just let's look at a schematic, go ahead and post it and then we can suggest tests for you to do there, on a working vehicle which I already suggested as useful...

Attachments

• msd6a_02.pdf
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
Good luck sourcing MJE520 transistors. Even Mouser does not carry them. It's an 18-week factory lead time and minimum order of 2,000 pieces.

I Googled " MJE520 transistor equivalent" and this came up;

The complementary PNP transistor to the MJE520 is the MJE370.

Back