can someone explain the Ecoboost to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

There are no half ton naturally aspirated or turbo v8 diesels pickups. The v8 diesels are all 3/4 ton class trucks and turbocharged.

There is the Nissan with the 5.0L Cummins V8 diesel. It's a "heavy half" or 5/8 ton.
There is also the 1/2-ton Ram with the 3.0L V6 diesel.

Yeah I would call the Cummins titan a 5/8ther although its max tow rating is actually in the half ton range Id feel much safer towing 12K with the diesel Titan than any other half ton.

It did turn a very efficient loop on FTL towing segment, but they slammed it for not having an exhaust brake.

Im a Nissan guy, so I'm predisposed to like it, but they missed the boat on its price/ tow rating.

On the farm we used the 80/80 rule on trucks to decide which truck to use.

If 80% or more of towing/hauling is at or above 80% of the rated tow capacity of the vehicle It time to step up to the next class.

UD

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

There are no half ton naturally aspirated or turbo v8 diesels pickups. The v8 diesels are all 3/4 ton class trucks and turbocharged.

There is the Nissan with the 5.0L Cummins V8 diesel. It's a "heavy half" or 5/8 ton.
There is also the 1/2-ton Ram with the 3.0L V6 diesel.

Don't know much about the Nissan but it sounds like a nice package.

The Ram Diesel is best to avoid. The engine has had issues and the payload on most configurations is under 1000 lbs. And it's dog slow. Not a great combination to load up and go. It does get good fuel economy though.

Originally Posted By: columnshift

Well yeah that's what i'm trying to figure out. Where is the 'sweet spot' for the Ecoboost, at what point does it make sense to get the 3/4 ton diesel instead of going Ecoboost?

Lots and lots of lots of either apples and oranges talk here, trying to compare trucks instead of engines, or "I drive an ecoboost and it's great" or "look at the POWER" when I was asking exclusively about MPG under load, not power, wasn't disagreeing with that, it wasn't what I was asking. All i'm trying to find is actual evidence that the Ecoboost is doing what it's advertised as doing, and it's not just some marketing point to claim superior BSFC under all normal driving conditions. The Mazda Skyactiv-G for instance is doing that just without a turbo and only in sedans.

I think we understood exactly what your question was, provided an answer for it, and for whatever reason it isn't being understood.

If your concern is fuel mileage while towing heavy, and you will do that most of the time, then the ecoboost will likely not deliver the fuel mileage advantage. It will however tow whatever you put behind it within its tow ratings with plenty of power. Where that break even point is depends on how heavy a load you are towing and how often. Based on what you described, (80% of the time towing a trailer, usually around 7-8000 lbs, with max towing of 12,000 lbs), I'd be looking at a 3/4 ton diesel and not think twice about it. Note that in order to tow 12,000 lbs using the F150, you can only get a regular cab with the Ecoboost 3.5 or a 4x2 Extended cab with the 3.5L Ecoboost and setup with a particular towing package setup... That right there would tell me you are on the very fringes of capability and that should say something...

If you use your 1/2 ton like 75+% of them are, then the ecoboost can provide some fuel mileage savings.

Good luck with your decision.

Started out with "power about the same" ... The "not the same" has been spelled out very well.

Agree - might want to look at 250/2500 if towing that much - that often - thread is about a motor ? Towing is about the entire driveline, cooling, and suspension ...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
That right there would tell me you are on the very fringes of capability and that should say something...

If you use your 1/2 ton like 75+% of them are, then the ecoboost can provide some fuel mileage savings.

Good luck with your decision.

While non of our 3 ecoboosted products in my extended family delivered the mileage, they certainly could not be faulted for power.

And very sage advice about not operating a platform at it's max all the time, that's a recipe for high maintenance and big repairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back